Good budget speaker stands [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Good budget speaker stands

JohnMichael
06-23-2011, 09:09 AM
I would love to have fully welded, four column support speaker stands. I just do not want to spend that much money on stands that are almost as expensive as the speakers sitting on them. I finally have a pair of stands that are good supports for my speakers.

I am now using the Sanus SF 22 with the Mobile Fidelity OML1's. Parts-Express has the SF 22 stands for $129. The stands have a large heavy steel base with very good carpet piercing spikes. The stands have two circular steel columns that can be sand filled. The top plate is again a heavy steel plate that can use either rubber supports or brass points. Once assembled the stand is heavy and very stable due to the larger base and very good carpet piercing spikes.

Other stands I have used were a single column Sanus Euro stand that was fine for the NHT SuperOne's and the Ascend CBM 170SE's. Both speakers smaller and lighter than the OML1's. I tried a pair of Pangea speaker stands with three columns. Even AudioAdvisors discounted price the stands were not satisfactory. The base of the stands are small and the spikes are not carpet piercing but more rounded. The more rounded "spikes" allow the stand to wobble on carpet. They do not have enough weight to help with stability.

When I ordered new stands I decided to go with a height of 22 inches instead of the 24 or 26 inch stands I already owned. The OML1's have a 5 degree angle of the front baffle so I thought a slightly shorter stand might be a benefit. Turns out the shorter stand is an improvement. A combination of greater rigidity and a shorter stand has had a positive effect on the sound. Better soundstaging both in imaging and depth. I find the angle of the tweeter with my ear makes the highs sweeter. Bass is stronger and again closer proximity to the floor or the more rigid support both may have helped.

All in all a good speaker stand at the price.

JohnMichael
06-23-2011, 03:42 PM
I would like a pair of these but since they cost more than my speakers I decided against them.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/16007/Sound_Anchor-Stand_for_Harbeth_Compact_7_-_4_Post_21quot_tall_pair-Speaker_Stands

Feanor
06-23-2011, 04:45 PM
I would love to have fully welded, four column support speaker stands. I just do not want to spend that much money on stands that are almost as expensive as the speakers sitting on them. I finally have a pair of stands that are good supports for my speakers.

I am now using the Sanus SF 22 with the Mobile Fidelity OML1's. Parts-Express has the SF 22 stands for $129. The stands have a large heavy steel base with very good carpet piercing spikes. The stands have two circular steel columns that can be sand filled. The top plate is again a heavy steel plate that can use either rubber supports or brass points. Once assembled the stand is heavy and very stable due to the larger base and very good carpet piercing spikes.

It always seemed to me that the Sanus SF 22 are good choice and you endorsement confirms it.

Stands are one of those things on which you can spend absurd amounts, (like say, cables), but in reality they only have to be "good enough". Beyond a point you're only make somebody else rich.

blackraven
06-23-2011, 05:57 PM
How about some Pangea stands-

http://home-audio.audioadvisor.com/search?w=speaker+stands

JohnMichael
06-23-2011, 06:25 PM
How about some Pangea stands-

http://home-audio.audioadvisor.com/search?w=speaker+stands

I had already mentioned them as not being good. The base was too small and the spikes would not pierce carpet or make contact with the floor. They were rather unstable. The Sanus SF22 are far superior.

frenchmon
06-24-2011, 03:11 AM

Other stands I have used were a single column Sanus Euro stand that was fine for the NHT SuperOne's and the Ascend CBM 170SE's. Both speakers smaller and lighter than the OML1's. I tried a pair of Pangea speaker stands with three columns. Even AudioAdvisors discounted price the stands were not satisfactory. The base of the stands are small and the spikes are not carpet piercing but more rounded. The more rounded "spikes" allow the stand to wobble on carpet. They do not have enough weight to help with stability.

When I ordered new stands I decided to go with a height of 22 inches instead of the 24 or 26 inch stands I already owned. The OML1's have a 5 degree angle of the front baffle so I thought a slightly shorter stand might be a benefit. Turns out the shorter stand is an improvement. A combination of greater rigidity and a shorter stand has had a positive effect on the sound. Better soundstaging both in imaging and depth. I find the angle of the tweeter with my ear makes the highs sweeter. Bass is stronger and again closer proximity to the floor or the more rigid support both may have helped.

All in all a good speaker stand at the price.

I have that same stand Sanus SF 26 . Have you filled yours with sand yet? I have the sand but it looks like I would have to drill out the little hole to get the sand in.

JohnMichael
06-24-2011, 03:24 AM
I was in such a hurry to get the stands together and had a Beagle carrying tools and parts away that I did not pay much attention to where I would fill the pillars with sand. I like the weight of the stand as is but I may try some sand in the future. If I do I will let you know.

frenchmon
06-24-2011, 03:27 AM
Hey JM...you've had yours for a while didn't you? I thought it was your signature a few years ago where I got the idea to get mine a few years ago? I think?

JohnMichael
06-24-2011, 03:56 AM
I have owned the Sanus Euro stands. Which were nice for the NHT SuperOnes and I purchased a second pair of columns for the Ascend CBM 170SE's. The Euro I can go either 24 or 26 inches. The Pangeas are 24 inch but not worth the money even at $99.

JohnMichael
06-24-2011, 05:17 AM
I have that same stand Sanus SF 26 . Have you filled yours with sand yet? I have the sand but it looks like I would have to drill out the little hole to get the sand in.

Good taste in stands.

bfalls
06-24-2011, 07:11 AM
The Paradigm Premier J-50 have always been my favorite. They look good and are heavy (fillable). Good WAF.

JohnMichael
06-24-2011, 07:32 AM
Since I wanted stands only a few inches shorter I was a little limited in choices. 20 and 24 inch stands were easy to find but 22 inch stands were not as plentiful. I used different number of books to see how much higher I needed to be to get the sound I wanted. Two extra inches raised me to where music sounded better so I bought stands that were 2 inches shorter. Since I sit fairly close to the speakers I think height is more important than if you sit further away.

noddin0ff
06-28-2011, 04:24 AM
Going a little further down budget, I like the Dayton SSMB24 also from Parts Express (24" and not 22, of course).
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=240-750

Tank-like construction, not too bad looking, fillable. I suppose the base could be wider but mine are tucked away in corners and not going anywhere. $79.00

http://www.parts-express.com/images/item_standard/240-750_s.jpg

JohnMichael
06-28-2011, 05:28 AM
Going a little further down budget, I like the Dayton SSMB24 also from Parts Express (24" and not 22, of course).
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=240-750

Tank-like construction, not too bad looking, fillable. I suppose the base could be wider but mine are tucked away in corners and not going anywhere. $79.00

http://www.parts-express.com/images/item_standard/240-750_s.jpg

Those look just like the ones AudioAdvisor sells under the Pangea name. I have a pair of them and I did not find them stable on carpet. I wrote a review of them for AudioAdvisor that has not been posted.

frenchmon
06-28-2011, 08:12 AM
how long ago was the review written?

bfalls
06-28-2011, 12:01 PM
The Paradigm Premier J-50 have always been my favorite. They look good and are heavy (fillable). Good WAF.

I just saw a pair of these listed on ebay with a pair of Paradigm Mini Monitors for $200. If I didn't already have two pair of the stands and 13 pairs of bookshelf speakers ...maybe.

JohnMichael
06-30-2011, 07:44 PM
Well for the first time I am using the brass points to support the speakers. I have always used the soft supports for fear of damaging the bottom of the speaker. So far I am thinkin what is a little damage to the underside. From initial listening I think I will use the brass points.

JohnMichael
07-05-2011, 05:45 PM

It has been a week and a half now since I submitted the review. I discredited much of what they claimed about the carpet spikes. I mentioned that the stands wobbled on my carpet.

JohnMichael
07-18-2011, 12:11 PM

The review I submitted to AudioAdvisor still has not been posted. Over three weeks now.

frenchmon
07-19-2011, 02:49 AM

Those are nice looking stands....also my wife would kill me if I had spikes in a wood floor.

frenchmon
07-19-2011, 02:52 AM
The review I submitted to AudioAdvisor still has not been posted. Over three weeks now.

Its like that at Accesories4less.com. It took all most a full year before I saw my review of a product I purchased. I think some of these sites are not monitored but once or twice a year by some of the Admins...

atomicAdam
07-19-2011, 11:50 AM
dar........ you could write a review on AudioReview.

JohnMichael
07-19-2011, 11:58 AM
dar........ you could write a review on AudioReview.

I shall write a review. A bad one for the Pangea and a good one for the Sanus.

Woochifer
07-22-2011, 04:06 PM

That's actually the old J-series. They were discontinued a few years ago. I recall that those stands (at least in the US) cost over $200. I use a pair of 18" Premier S-series stands that cost about $120/pair. After filling them with sand, they're very solid and stable. Paradigm doesn't list the speaker stands on their website anymore, but I believe you can still order them through Paradigm's dealers. I also saw the 30" S-series stands sold online for $150.

Woochifer
07-22-2011, 04:34 PM
I would like a pair of these but since they cost more than my speakers I decided against them.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/16007/Sound_Anchor-Stand_for_Harbeth_Compact_7_-_4_Post_21quot_tall_pair-Speaker_Stands

Yep, those would be the Sound Anchors. Their stands are about as solid as you can get, because their stands are welded together and shipped as a built unit, rather than as a pack-flat kit that the consumer assembles themselves. It costs more to assemble it this way, and it costs more to ship. But, IMO they're worth the money if you're looking for quality. Their stands are also available prefilled with sound-deadening material (would be kind of awkward to try filling a speaker stand when the top plate is already welded to the base post).

One little trick to buying those stands for less is to order direct from the factory using the studio/professional catalog. The stands listed there are nearly identical, but you order directly from Sound Anchors, rather than through a retail store. Plus, all of the studio/professional orders are built-to-order, so you can specify any obscure height you want.

http://www.soundanchors.com/page4.html

I have a pair of Sound Anchors' adjustable studio stands that I use with my surround speakers, and they are truly heavy duty -- the stands weigh 65 lbs. each, are fully height adjustable up to 45" tall, prefilled with sound deadening material, and rated to support 100 lbs.

http://www.soundanchors.com/img123.gif

When I bought them, they cost over $400 (they now list for $565/pair), but with speaker stands you get what you pay for. Even now, I don't know of any tall speaker stands (over 40" tall) that can support a heavy bookshelf speaker that weighs more than 20 lbs.

JohnMichael
08-01-2011, 03:37 PM
I thought I would show the stands in use.

atomicAdam
08-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Nice room!

JohnMichael
08-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Thanks Adam. Be it ever so humble there is no place like home.

blackraven
08-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Here are some DIY stands. I am definitely going to make a pair of these.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/home-theater-construction/47536-how-build-your-own-budget-speaker-stands.html

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/stubby_e.html

frenchmon
08-02-2011, 03:50 AM
Nice JM!!! I lke the cleanliness of that room.

How far apart are the speakers from each other and from the back? Also, how far back do you sit and what is the size of the room?.

The stands look shorter than mine...they look below ear level, but im sure they are ear level seeing how much you enjoy this hobby.

I will get a picture of mine with the stand in this thread soon....keep in mine I have only a point and shoot...And Mickey has a hard time listening from his position...he needs a front row seat.

frenchmon
08-02-2011, 04:00 AM
Man...I can see you sitting there in your sweet spot sipping some good wine, and Micky looking right at you getting mad wondering why you got him over there not being able to enjoy the music....or the wine.

JohnMichael
08-02-2011, 04:15 AM
Nice JM!!! I lke the cleanliness of that room.

How far apart are the speakers from each other and from the back? Also, how far back do you sit and what is the size of the room?.

The stands look shorter than mine...they look below ear level, but im sure they are ear level seeing how much you enjoy this hobby.

I will get a picture of mine with the stand in this thread soon....keep in mine I have only a point and shoot...And Mickey has a hard time listening from his position...he needs a front row seat.

My stands are 22 inches tall and the front baffles are angled about 5 degrees so the balance is very nice. The room is 12 ft at the wall where I have the speakers. The speakers are about 7 ft apart.

bfalls
08-02-2011, 09:07 AM
That's actually the old J-series. They were discontinued a few years ago. I recall that those stands (at least in the US) cost over $200. I use a pair of 18" Premier S-series stands that cost about $120/pair. After filling them with sand, they're very solid and stable. Paradigm doesn't list the speaker stands on their website anymore, but I believe you can still order them through Paradigm's dealers. I also saw the 30" S-series stands sold online for $150.

I believe I bought them from Ovation Audio in Indianapolis IN. I believe they were over $200, but I was able to talk him down to about $150. I lucked out on another pair on ebay I got for $45. Mine are also sand-filled and are pretty heavy and dead.

I bought them for the look. They are more pleasing to the eye than most other stands. Very few I've seen have the WAF as these. I've bought others and even built my own oak stands for my Klipsch Kg4s, but the Premiers are still the best in my opinion.

frenchmon
08-02-2011, 11:05 AM
My stands are 22 inches tall and the front baffles are angled about 5 degrees so the balance is very nice. The room is 12 ft at the wall where I have the speakers. The speakers are about 7 ft apart.

Looks inviting. Mine are actually 26" and about 9 ft apart. I may bring mine in to 7 and see what it does for them. Canton recommends no toe in, but I have them at about 5 degrees as well.

JohnMichael
08-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Looks inviting. Mine are actually 26" and about 9 ft apart. I may bring mine in to 7 and see what it does for them. Canton recommends no toe in, but I have them at about 5 degrees as well.

It is the front baffle that is slanted back 5 degrees. Nothing to do with toe-in.

TheHills44060
08-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Definitely like the SF 22's stands better than the Sanus Euros as far as looks goes. Good choice.

frenchmon
08-03-2011, 01:36 PM
It is the front baffle that is slanted back 5 degrees. Nothing to do with toe-in.

Oh my bad...

JohnMichael
08-03-2011, 05:30 PM
Oh my bad...

Or my bad with poor description.

Mash
08-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Slant them & toe them in until the image snaps into focus........

JohnMichael
08-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Slant them & toe them in until the image snaps into focus........

Of course if you slant your speakers your stands might be too tall as I found with my speakers when only the front baffle was slanted.