The Happy Birthday Dad Project Final Stages [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Happy Birthday Dad Project Final Stages

Robert-The-Rambler
06-23-2011, 08:50 AM
Earlier I had started this thread....

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=36757

This whole project started with a simple Class T Amp.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049P6OTI

My left over Sony Speakers.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-MB150H-Bookshelf-Speakers-Pair/dp/B0002553J6/ref=sr_1_7?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1308846828&sr=1-7

Then it quickly became something else entirely.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YST-SW216BL-Advanced-Front-Firing-Subwoofer/dp/B000FJ89UO/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1308846912&sr=1-1

And finally these obscure speakers I just ordered and will be taking a chance on....

http://www.jr.com/technical-pro/pe/TAE_SPH8/

I can't find any hands on reviews or experiences with any Technical Pro speakers on the web but I like to experiment and a low wattage amp with very sensitive speakers can sound great as long as the speakers or the amp don't sound like crap. I'm flying blind here. Does anybody have any experience with Technical Pro products?

The whole setup is dedicated to home theater in a 2 channel setup. I'm hoping the vocals are clear and the sound effects on explosions and the like are crisp. My Dad loves war movies so we are looking for machine guns and bombs to sound accordingly. The way I look at it you need SPL for the war genre.

I know its kind of silly to ask questions after you already made your purchase but I haven't got the shipments of the amp and new speakers yet. (Scheduled for tommorrow) All the testing will have to be done on Friday as my Dad gets back from North Carolina Saturday.

Any comments or suggestions. To recap the intention here. A simple home theater for watching Bluray in a 2 channel setup in a bedroom. It might be good for music too but my Dad does not listen to music much or at all.

bfalls
06-23-2011, 09:40 AM
I really enjoy finding good deals on bookshelf speakers. Just yesterday I had a pair of B&W LM1s delivered that I purchased from someone on Craig's List for $75. They arrived and looked practically brand new. I had a pair already purchased several months ago for $175, so have been looking for others to put together a 5.1 system. I listened to them last night through my Emotiva UMC-1 and XPA-5 system using a Legacy Silver Screen as center. EmoQ did a great job of blending them. I really enjoyed the sound.

Other bookshelves I purchased are PSB Intro, Emotiva ERM-1, Scandyna (Blue Room) Minipods, Klipsch Synergy B2, Boston Acoustics HD8, Dayton BR-1 kit, RS LX5, Insignia NS-B2111 and Klipsch KSF-2.1/3.1. Probably a few more I can't recall right now. Not a loser in the bunch.

There's a lot of interesting designs in the group. The minipods were designed by B&W engineers after their Nautilus series. The LX5 has the Lineaum tweeter which sounds pretty sweet.

The Insignia has many current design features such as, coincident tweeter/woofer, tapered cabinet with no parallel sides, piano black finish and Kevlar woofer cone. Well worth the list price of $45 at the time.

I'm still on the lookout for some inexpensive NHT and Paradigm models, but I probably should wait a bit. My wife is pretty cool about my hobby, but everything is best in moderation.

I hope your Technical Pro speakers work out for you. For the cost, worst case, they go back for a quick return, or should be OK for a garage system.

Robert-The-Rambler
06-23-2011, 09:51 AM
I really enjoy finding good deals on bookshelf speakers. Just yesterday I had a pair of B&W LM1s delivered that I purchased from someone on Craig's List for $75. They arrived and looked practically brand new. I had a pair already purchased several months ago for $175, so have been looking for others to put together a 5.1 system. I listened to them last night through my Emotiva UMC-1 and XPA-5 system using a Legacy Silver Screen as center. EmoQ did a great job of blending them. I really enjoyed the sound.

Other bookshelves I purchased are PSB Intro, Emotiva ERM-1, Scandyna (Blue Room) Minipods, Klipsch Synergy B2, Boston Acoustics HD8, Dayton BR-1 kit, RS LX5, Insignia NS-B2111 and Klipsch KSF-2.1/3.1. Probably a few more I can't recall right now. Not a loser in the bunch.

There's a lot of interesting designs in the group. The minipods were designed by B&W engineers after their Nautilus series. The LX5 has the Lineaum tweeter which sounds pretty sweet.

The Insignia has many current design features such as, coincident tweeter/woofer, tapered cabinet with no parallel sides, piano black finish and Kevlar woofer cone. Well worth the list price of $45 at the time.

I'm still on the lookout for some inexpensive NHT and Paradigm models, but I probably should wait a bit. My wife is pretty cool about my hobby, but everything is best in moderation.

I hope your Technical Pro speakers work out for you. For the cost, worst case, they go back for a quick return, or should be OK for a garage system.

I'll drive them back to J & R. It really is that close at about 35 miles or so. Shipping is free so it is free overnight shipping since I live in the area. The Insignia models have gone way up in price. My local Bestbuy had some on clearance for $76 a pair. I'm telling you Insignia products are really good if you are patient and figure out the good from the bad ones in all sorts of product categories.

Thanks for your response. I have had my share of bookshelf speakers, too but then again I'm single. <>__<>

bfalls
06-23-2011, 11:05 AM
The one thing I wasn't impressed with about the Insignias was the efficiency. They state 90db/1W/1M, but it seemed to take about 20% more to drive them than others I've had. They also seemed a little veiled. Not as crisp and clear as most. It could have just been my pair. Still a great little speaker even at $70. Good WAF in their Piano Black fineness.