Must I get B&W Sub to go with B&W Speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Must I get B&W Sub to go with B&W Speakers?

Ogeez
04-13-2004, 03:39 PM
I have B&W 601 S2 FR/FL/C/RR/RL now I am ready for the Sub, does it have to be B&W as well or can I get any powered sub, will there be a sound difference mixing the sub type up? If I can get a different Sub, any recommendations under $1000?

Thanks
:)

This Guy
04-13-2004, 04:18 PM
NO, get whatever sounds best in your room. Your ears can't distinct bass frequencies as well as the higher frequencies. Look at the subs from Velodyne, Dayton, Paradigm, B&W, Adire, SVS, Infinity, and HSU just to name a few. Just be sure the get an spl meter and a test disc to set up the sub right,

-Joey

mtrycraft
04-13-2004, 08:17 PM
I have B&W 601 S2 FR/FL/C/RR/RL now I am ready for the Sub, does it have to be B&W as well or can I get any powered sub, will there be a sound difference mixing the sub type up? If I can get a different Sub, any recommendations under $1000?

Thanks
:)

As was mentioned. However, try to find the Sep 2003 issue of Sound & Vision where Tom Nousaine measures and rates 10 subs. In a sub, how low it will go with sufficient output matters, not just responding to it as it may be too weak to hear :)

Bryan
04-14-2004, 05:24 AM
Likewise. You can also go with a passive sub and get an external amp to power it with, be it a dedicated amplifier such as a Samson S700 or a used KLH two channel receiver. The questions will be how big is the room, are there any openings into other rooms and, if so, how big are they, and is music or HT the priority? There may be no need to spend $1K on a sub when a $450 one will do what you want it to.

Ogeez
04-16-2004, 11:15 AM
Thanks Guys I am a happier richer Man now. :-)