Superman I Four-Disc Edition [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Superman I Four-Disc Edition

Smokey
06-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Oh man, this movie is eye candy in term of pictrure quality. Everything is vivid and have sort of glow, and sound is not too shabby either. I have forgotten how good this movie is with wondefull performances by Gene Hackman, Marlon Brando and Ned Beatty.

And ofcourse Christopher Reeve as it seem he is taylor made for this movie, and Margot Kidder which is very likable. This DVD contain 4 disc which is available at Amazon right now for $7.82 (link below).

Disc One:

•Original 1978 Theatrical Version with Soundtrack in Dolby Digital 5.1
•Commentary by Producer Pierre Spengler and Executive Producer Ilya Salkind

Disc Two:

•2000 Expanded Edition Movie with Commentary by Director Richard Donner and Creative Consultant Tom Mankiewicz
•Music-Only Audio Track

Disc Three:

•Three Documentaries: 'Taking Flight: The Development of Superman'; 'Making Superman: Filming the Legend'; 'The Magic Behind the Cape'
•Restored Scenes
•Audio-Only Bonus: Additional Music Cues

Disc Four:

•Vintage TV Special - The Making of Superman: The Movie
•1951 Movie 'Superman and the Mole-Men', starring George Reeves
•Nine Fleischer Studios Superman Cartoons Mastered from Superior Vault Elements:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51m0ekSxoOL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Superman-Four-Disc-Special-Christopher-Reeve/dp/B000IJ79UW

RGA
06-22-2011, 07:33 AM
Well you can't beat that price eh? I preferred Superman II but I liked the first one.

I was also very happy to see guest appearances by Terrance Stamp, Margot Kidder, and Christopher Reeve in Smallville.

Television series have the advantage of story telling since they have many hours to bring out character development - while film has more money for effects but has to thin out the story leaving out depth. Superman the movie makes Lex more of a cartoon but Smallville he is a LOT more interesting. Michael Rosenbaum is a far more interesting Lex Luthor as a result. He's also a terrific actor to boot.

lomarica
06-22-2011, 09:28 AM
this version of superman is my favorite also but it is not out on blu ray?

Sir Terrence the Terrible
06-22-2011, 10:52 AM
this version of superman is my favorite also but it is not out on blu ray?

Amazon is no longer carrying it, but you can get it from re-sellers in the Amazon Marketplace.

Smokey
06-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Television series have the advantage of story telling since they have many hours to bring out character development - while film has more money for effects but has to thin out the story leaving out depth.

Although have not seen any episodes of Smallville, some of TV shows based on movies tend to get long in tooth. They tend to deviate so much from original concept that sometimes it feel like we are watching soap operas.

Amazon is no longer carrying it, but you can get it from re-sellers in the Amazon Marketplace.

Too bad there are no extras on bluray [one disc] version. 1951 Movie 'Superman and the Mole-Men' with George Reeves was kind of fun to watch which was in the 4 disc DVD edition.

RGA
06-23-2011, 06:05 AM
Although have not seen any episodes of Smallville, some of TV shows based on movies tend to get long in tooth. They tend to deviate so much from original concept that sometimes it feel like we are watching soap operas.

Too bad there are no extras on bluray [one disc] version. 1951 Movie 'Superman and the Mole-Men' with George Reeves was kind of fun to watch which was in the 4 disc DVD edition.

Well there is a certain soap opera element to Smallville. That said - one of the best things about the show is the Lex and Lionel Luthor story line and how Lex is raised to become Lex. He's a very well written character. The love story between Clark and Lana Lang is sometimes frustrating and soapy however. On the flip side - Kristen Kreuk (Lana Lang) is cartoon good looking so it's not too difficult to put up with it :-)

Clark Kents parents teaching Clark to be responsible with his powers as he grows into some of them is sometimes quite funny.

I didn't think you get 10 seasons out of a Superman story line either - since the character seems so thin in the movies.

I received season 1 as a Christmas present. The first 6 episodes I was luke warm to it and then for me it took stride and kept getting better.

Some didn't love it when they started the Justice League story line - but I liked the episodes where Clark meets Aqua Man, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Flash(Impulse), Hawk Man, Dr Fate.

And the effects are better than the original Superman movies to boot.

Woochifer
07-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Smoke -

Right now, Amazon has the Blu-ray version for only a buck more.

http://www.amazon.com/Superman-Movie-Blu-ray-Christopher-Reeve/dp/B000K4X5XA

This DVD version dates back to 2006 when Warner revamped all of their Superman DVD releases in conjunction with the release of Superman Returns. Amazon lists it now for $5 through an affiliate vendor.

These all look like closeout deals. Obviously, Warner has something else in the works that presumably coincides with next year's release of Man of Steel.

Smokey
07-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Smoke -

Right now, Amazon has the Blu-ray version for only a buck more.

http://www.amazon.com/Superman-Movie-Blu-ray-Christopher-Reeve/dp/B000K4X5XA

Not any more. They dropped the price on 4 disc DVD to $5.99 :)

The picture quality on DVD was phenomena. On bluray, it probably be awesome.

Woochifer
07-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Not any more. They dropped the price on 4 disc DVD to $5.99 :)

Well, a buck more than what you paid! :cool:

The picture quality on DVD was phenomena. On bluray, it probably be awesome.

Once you've gone Blu-ray, no DVD will look "phenomena(l)"