How is this possible! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How is this possible!

GMichael
06-20-2011, 03:35 PM
I just found out that in order for a kid to be able to start in kindergarten, they need to be able to write out all the letters and spell their own names. If not, they must go to a pre-k. How is it that we have teenagers graduating who can't read? What the heck happens between KG and graduation? Are kids actually coming out dumber than they go in? What are they being taught?

Mr Peabody
06-20-2011, 04:37 PM
You make a good point GM. Kindergarten has always been the time when you begin to learn and gain your social skills, even though those early years are some of the best learning years I think this is getting carried away. Granted by 5 a kid would have to be neglected some how not to know something with all the possible education on TV and such. But why expand the school years, just make the ones we have more productive or get back to being productive. School should be designed like baseball, if you don't perform you get sent back to the Minors. What would Minors be for school... not sure, maybe boot camp. Let kids who want to learn, learn, and teachers who want to teach, teach. Teachers shouldn't need protection and kids who want to learn shouldn't lose that opportunity because some knothead wants to be foolish.

This may be radical but what if the law that makes it mandatory for kids to go to school was repealed and only those who wanted to be there would be there? Leave it to the parents to deal with their kids.

GMichael
06-21-2011, 09:30 AM
They've got to stop pushing the kids through who haven't learned enough. We had this thing back when I went to school called FAILING. If you didn't meet the minimum learning requirements, you failed that grade and went back to try again. Our current system has these kids passing because that gives the school a higher pass/fail rating.

dean_martin
06-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Slightly OT but perhaps related - My state failed one of the business-friendly criteria in a recent study used by businesses/manufacturers/industry to decide whether to move into a particular state. Although we scored high marks on tax breaks/low taxes and the like we failed (lowest grade possible) the "educated work force" criterion. At the same time, our legislature has cut the education budget by over 20 million leading to teacher and school personnel layoffs and school program cuts. This same legislature says it needs to cut taxes to create a more favorable business environment (and that smaller government means more jobs??). Something doesn't quite add up. Somehow the importance of an educated workforce to the economy is lost on these nuts.

Hyfi
06-21-2011, 10:01 AM
You make a good point GM. Kindergarten has always been the time when you begin to learn and gain your social skills, even though those early years are some of the best learning years I think this is getting carried away. Granted by 5 a kid would have to be neglected some how not to know something with all the possible education on TV and such. But why expand the school years, just make the ones we have more productive or get back to being productive. School should be designed like baseball, if you don't perform you get sent back to the Minors. What would Minors be for school... not sure, maybe boot camp. Let kids who want to learn, learn, and teachers who want to teach, teach. Teachers shouldn't need protection and kids who want to learn shouldn't lose that opportunity because some knothead wants to be foolish.

This may be radical but what if the law that makes it mandatory for kids to go to school was repealed and only those who wanted to be there would be there? Leave it to the parents to deal with their kids.

Oddly enough, when I graduated in 1979 from a Vocational Trade school, if you wanted to learn, you pretty much taught yourself. The teachers were so busy dealing with the troublemakers and slackers that there was not much time to actually teach those who wanted to learn. I'm sure it is much worse now over 30 years later.

Just remember, all these troublesome children causing the main problem were brought into this world by parents who have a worthwhile focus in life.:ciappa:

Mr Peabody
06-21-2011, 06:04 PM
In a surrounding county who just cut their teaching staff and other education areas decided they needed to upgrade the school's football stadium to the tune of 1.3 million dollars. Needless to say the sane people in that county are not happy about it.

GM, it was the "No Child Left Behind" legislation that pushes the kids through and temps the schools to cheat and teach to tests opposed to teach to educate. This was brought about by Republicans, the same who preaches what Dean is talking about. The day of a common sense politician, if there ever was one, is long extinct it seems. Smaller government means contract out. Contract out means give the government's money to friends and contributors. Contracting out inherently government work has not proven to save money, in fact, it actually costs much more and what's more alarming is the total lack of oversight and accountability. We have to quit making our education system suffer to pay for foolishness.

GMichael
06-22-2011, 08:25 AM
In a surrounding county who just cut their teaching staff and other education areas decided they needed to upgrade the school's football stadium to the tune of 1.3 million dollars. Needless to say the sane people in that county are not happy about it.

GM, it was the "No Child Left Behind" legislation that pushes the kids through and temps the schools to cheat and teach to tests opposed to teach to educate. This was brought about by Republicans, the same who preaches what Dean is talking about. The day of a common sense politician, if there ever was one, is long extinct it seems. Smaller government means contract out. Contract out means give the government's money to friends and contributors. Contracting out inherently government work has not proven to save money, in fact, it actually costs much more and what's more alarming is the total lack of oversight and accountability. We have to quit making our education system suffer to pay for foolishness.

That's a good case for private schooling. Thanks.

Feanor
06-22-2011, 08:54 AM
Slightly OT but perhaps related - My state failed one of the business-friendly criteria in a recent study used by businesses/manufacturers/industry to decide whether to move into a particular state. Although we scored high marks on tax breaks/low taxes and the like we failed (lowest grade possible) the "educated work force" criterion. At the same time, our legislature has cut the education budget by over 20 million leading to teacher and school personnel layoffs and school program cuts. This same legislature says it needs to cut taxes to create a more favorable business environment (and that smaller government means more jobs??). Something doesn't quite add up. Somehow the importance of an educated workforce to the economy is lost on these nuts.
US state and federal politicians need to understand a couple of things in this contest:

Companies will deline to locate in various states and indeed, state-side anywhere, if Americans aren't adequately educated.
Simply handing business more & more tax savings isn't necessarily going to lead to investment -- generally businesses have plenty of investment opportunities off shore with even better incentives.

Feanor
06-22-2011, 08:56 AM

Agree with all you say, Mr P. Except that I don't think it's so much failure of common sense as it is that politicians are in the pockets of the business lobbies.

Mr Peabody
06-24-2011, 04:51 PM
GM, private school=GM gets a second job.

JohnMichael
07-27-2011, 04:18 AM
One thing you can do is not respond to the spam and that will make it easier to find. In the morning I click on New Posts and when I see an unfamiliar name I check out the post. When I see a post and a known member was the last poster I tend to not open the thread. So anyone who posts after and in reaction to the spammer makes it more difficult to find it for deletion. I also use my iPhone at work and watch for spamming in much the same way.

Florian
08-23-2011, 04:31 AM
"No child's behind, left" as the Catholic Priests say..... Whooohoooo (Actually from C. Hitchens)..

As long as a large population in america and elsewhere believes that the earth is 4000 years old, visits religious theme parks and football players thanks some supernatural for crippling other people and making them super strong this world is going to end anyways. Let them be dumb! **** em..... Less competition and an easier life. :-)

A good film by the way with quite some truth in it is "Idiocracy".... we are not far from it.

Cheers

PS: According to the Quran salt water and sweet water don't mix. As part of one of the miracles. ... LOL its actually being taught in school....

GMichael
08-23-2011, 05:04 AM
We just found out that the pre-school our little girl is going to now got certified as a private school. No religion. No BS. Just fun and learning through grade 6. I've just got to head over there and upgrade their AV system. :ihih:

Florian
08-23-2011, 05:09 AM
Good luck dude.... its the best investment you can make in your girls future. :-)

GMichael
08-23-2011, 06:13 AM
Good luck dude.... its the best investment you can make in your girls future. :-)

Thanks,

At 2 years old, she already knows all the letters, the sounds they make, and can read her own name.
She knows a few numbers, but math has not come as easy for her.