How do you callibrate the speakers/sound? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How do you callibrate the speakers/sound?

Ogeez
04-13-2004, 03:36 PM
I have an HK AVR 220 to B&W 601 S2
The callibration is done manually for each configuration; Theater, Dolby, Hall 1, Hall 2 etc. How can I found out what you should have the speakers set at in db levels?

Thanks
:confused:

This Guy
04-13-2004, 04:29 PM
Buy an analog SPL meter from Radioshack. Get a test tone disc, and set all your speakers so they are the same volume level at your listening position. You will know they're making the same amount of sound if the SPL meter stays at one position when you test every speaker. For the subwoofer, set it about 3-6 dB louder than all of your other speakers.

-Joey

poneal
04-13-2004, 07:32 PM
The SPL meter and test DVD is one the best ways to calibrate your system. If you do not have one then you can use the builtin test tones that comes with your HK220. It is true that you have to set each mode separately. Your manual, I believe, states to turn the volume up to -15 or -10. I found that -10 works best, which is at or slightly above reference level (75db). You will not really know until you get an SPL meter. I can tell you that I used -10 and let the receiver pick how much to increase/decrease the speaker level. I can also say that it (the recevier) was pretty darn close to the settings I ended up with after getting an SPL meter and test DVD. I can also say that you are ahead of most people because a lot of people will not ever use the test tones to set their speaker level. That in itself shows that you have the ambtion and intelligence to make your system sound its best. I can also say that I did not set all my modes (theres a lot of them). I focused on the ones I use most often (Dolby Prologic II, Dolby Digital and Stereo). Make sure you also set the delay using the formula in your manual based on distances. This will help because the sounds from the front and rear will reach you at about the same time. Have fun, take your time, and enjoy.

mtrycraft
04-13-2004, 08:02 PM
I have an HK AVR 220 to B&W 601 S2
The callibration is done manually for each configuration; Theater, Dolby, Hall 1, Hall 2 etc. How can I found out what you should have the speakers set at in db levels?

Thanks
:confused:

As was mentioned, buy the Radio Shack analog meter, not the digital one. Buy a DVD that also calibrates the TV while you are at it to give best picture.
There are a number out there: Avia- old and new digital mastering or that may be for 'A Video Standar' with the new digital mastering
Sound&Vision home theater setup

They should explain how to do it. Your receiver may or may not have built in test tone and if the volume control moves to a predetermined level when you engage the test tone, use that setting for the calibration with the DVD. This will give you the reference setting for the master volume control. At this position set each channel to 75 dB spl on all channel. Sub about 3-6dB higher.

Ogeez
04-16-2004, 11:22 AM
Smashing - Yes I can do it without the analog meter for now until I buy one as the HK does have a self testing mode. Thanks again for the feedback and with patience as you stated I should have sweets sounds of joy from here on in.

:-)

rob7
04-18-2004, 06:36 AM
I stopped by Radio Shack to check out an analog meter. They said that they were to discontinue the analog meter and that the digital one was the only one available. RShack website did not have it available either. It was suggested for home thater calibration to buy the analog meter. Does it make that much of a difference (between analog and digital)? Any other ideas on where to get an analog meter? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

poneal
04-18-2004, 07:06 AM
They both do the same thing. Some say that they can finer tune with the analog. I bought the digital and have had no problems. It has a bar graph at the bottom that simulates the analog readings and of course digital readout of digits. As far as I'm concerned either one will do the job.

This Guy
04-18-2004, 07:10 AM
check sears. I think they have an analog one just like the Ratshack one and the same price.

-Joey

rob7
04-18-2004, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Another step in the right direction.