Thinking About Using A Speaker Switch [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Thinking About Using A Speaker Switch

Robert-The-Rambler
06-17-2011, 06:04 PM
I have a pair of DCM KX12 Series 2 speakers. I have an Onkyo 804 model receiver that has a pretty good amp but I'm looking to experiment with a setup that includes a Behringer EP 2500 for 2 channel audio only. For 2 channel music I want to use the Behringer amp and for home theater I want to use the built-in amp for the Onkyo. I don't have enough current available nor the desire to use the Behringer and the Onkyo amp in a multi channel setup for this room. The Behringer amp is a high wattage class H amp that outputs 450 watts RMS into 8 ohms 20hz - 20khz in stereo. The speaker switches I see at Amazon.com all mention a limit of 100 watts or 150 watts. Am I SOL here? And how do I set this thing up? I'm assuming that I run speaker wires from the amps to the switch and run a single speaker output to the speakers. Is this a workable project?

Was looking at this...

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Cable-SS4-Multi-Speaker-Selector/dp/tech-data/B00004Y3UX/ref=de_a_smtd

I was looking further at that product and that doesn't seem to be the right product, no? The goal is to use the same speakers and two different amps at different times. Is that possible with a switch?

Here is the manual.

http://www.monstercable.com/lit/Speaker_Selector_4_and_6_Manual.pdf

I'm on vacation and I'm looking for an audio project that does not include burning down the house.

Mr Peabody
06-17-2011, 07:05 PM
You are correct that speaker switch WILL NOT WORK, it's for multiple sets of speakers. You have the opposite. I don't know of any product that will allow your set up. I was there a few years back. What I do is run speaker cables from both amps and manually plug in the set that goes to the amp I want to use. This is very quick and easy with bananas.

If you are wondering, you cannot hook both amps to the speaker at the same time, even with only one on it would spell disaster.

Robert-The-Rambler
06-17-2011, 07:15 PM
You are correct that speaker switch WILL NOT WORK, it's for multiple sets of speakers. You have the opposite. I don't know of any product that will allow your set up. I was there a few years back. What I do is run speaker cables from both amps and manually plug in the set that goes to the amp I want to use. This is very quick and easy with bananas.

If you are wondering, you cannot hook both amps to the speaker at the same time, even with only one on it would spell disaster.

You know what that doesn't cost a bunch of money either.

Feanor
06-18-2011, 02:58 AM

Go bananas !!! :thumbsup:

thekid
06-18-2011, 03:38 AM
Mr P offered you the best and least expensive advice not involving purchasing a separate pair of speakers. I would suggest using the KX speakers for HT since that would be what they are suited for and consider checking CL or thrift stores for a fairly inexpensive but quality speakers to stack on the KX that you can use for 2-channel.

Robert-The-Rambler
06-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Mr P offered you the best and least expensive advice not involving purchasing a separate pair of speakers. I would suggest using the KX speakers for HT since that would be what they are suited for and consider checking CL or thrift stores for a fairly inexpensive but quality speakers to stack on the KX that you can use for 2-channel.

http://www.jr.com/niles-audio/pe/NIL_DPS1/

J & R has one for $90 and it says it can handle 350 watts per channel. Probably will not purchase right now but at least for a decent price it can be done!!!! BTW, Jesus Christ the Behringer EP2500 is awesome!!!! I am shaking the room with some The Crystal Method Busy Child. Not a fan of that type of music but man the bass is deep and punchy. No subs necessary since I would probably burn the house down if I turned on the other amp (Gemini XG-3001) on the same electrical line. It sure is different than the onboard amp on the receiver.

This one says it handles even 600 watts per channel for about $100.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_190ABS1/Niles-ABS-1-FG00271.html?tp=1846