I'm seeing kd lang tonight...for free!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I'm seeing kd lang tonight...for free!!!

ForeverAutumn
06-17-2011, 06:33 AM
...Unless it's raining. :(

There's a 10-day long arts and music festival going on in the city this week. There are lots of great events, some paid, some free. As part of the festival a stage has been set up in one of our downtown parks and there have been free concerts there every night of all different genres.

Last Friday night we saw The Joel Plaskett Emergency (which most of you have probably never heard of but are quite popular here). On Saturday afternoon They Might Be Giants played a 'family friendly' show, but it was raining so I passed on that one. Tonight kd lang is performing!

We're supposed to get some rain today but tonight is supposed to be clear and warm. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the weather people are right for a change. I've never seen kd lang, but I'd really love to!

Swish
06-17-2011, 08:19 AM
...Unless it's raining. :(

There's a 10-day long arts and music festival going on in the city this week. There are lots of great events, some paid, some free. As part of the festival a stage has been set up in one of our downtown parks and there have been free concerts there every night of all different genres.

Last Friday night we saw The Joel Plaskett Emergency (which most of you have probably never heard of but are quite popular here). On Saturday afternoon They Might Be Giants played a 'family friendly' show, but it was raining so I passed on that one. Tonight kd lang is performing!

We're supposed to get some rain today but tonight is supposed to be clear and warm. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the weather people are right for a change. I've never seen kd lang, but I'd really love to!

...a couple or 3 years ago. Great show from both. Roy Orbison said she had 'the best pipes in the business', and I can't argue with him. Should be really good.

JohnMichael
06-18-2011, 07:28 AM
I would love to see K. D. in concert. Well did you go and how was it. I am living vicariously through you. My area sucks as far as concerts for people I would like to see. We do have Rickie Lee Jones this fall in a local theater.

Slosh
06-18-2011, 04:57 PM
Also for FREE! :)

ForeverAutumn
06-18-2011, 08:28 PM
I would love to see K. D. in concert. Well did you go and how was it. I am living vicariously through you. My area sucks as far as concerts for people I would like to see. We do have Rickie Lee Jones this fall in a local theater.

We did go John. It was a beautiful night for an outdoor event. The park was packed and she put on a great, but rather short, show. Only 1.25 hours including the encore. Can't complain though, the price of admission was right.

I teared up when she sang Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, it was so beautiful. Her studio version is my favourite version of that song and she did an even better job of it live. So heartfelt. Such a beautiful voice. :)

Toronto is a great city to be in for free events in the summer. Devo played a freebie tonight as part of NXNE (http://nxne.com/). We would have gone but we had theatre tickets so couldn't make it.

JohnMichael
06-18-2011, 09:02 PM
I teared up when she sang Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, it was so beautiful. Her studio version is my favourite version of that song and she did an even better job of it live. So heartfelt. Such a beautiful voice. :)

We would have gone but we had theatre tickets so couldn't make it.

Wow that must have been incredible to hear her sing "Hallelujah" live. I am sure the audience was in awe.

Tickets to the theater and may I ask what you saw?

ForeverAutumn
06-19-2011, 05:08 AM
We saw The Railway Children (http://www.railwaychildren.ca/). It was fantastic. The staging was some of the best I've ever seen. The theatre was build just for this play (in a tent that can be taken down when the run is over) and it was put up near an old roundhouse and train museum in our downtown core (Swish, if you're reading this its right next to the Steamwhistle brewery) which really added to ambience of the show. It was really an experience.

We belong to a theatre subscription so we see at least seven shows a year. Like I said, it's a great city to be in that is very supportive of the arts.