just returned from Magnolia [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : just returned from Magnolia

Tarheel_
06-14-2011, 09:36 AM
took a 2 hour lunch break with a co-worker who is looking for a 3.1 setup for his living room. He mostly listens to music and watches non-action blu-rays.

This M store had Energy, MartinLogan, B&W, Mirage, Def Tech.

After spending time listening to his demo disc, i felt the B&Ws were superior in sound (and in price). MartinLogan Motion 4 was my 2nd favorite (lack midrange detail though), followed closely by a Def Tech, then Energy with the Mirage a distant last place.

Cannot recall all their model numbers, but what a nice way to burn some time.

GMichael
06-14-2011, 10:16 AM
I went to the only Magnolia anywhere near us a year or so ago. Not a single salesperson offered any help.

Tarheel_
06-14-2011, 10:31 AM
I went to the only Magnolia anywhere near us a year or so ago. Not a single salesperson offered any help.

There was a guy there...very friendly, but didn't know much about speakers. They had some nice gear there as well...even Marantz.

GMichael
06-14-2011, 10:40 AM
There was a guy there...very friendly, but didn't know much about speakers. They had some nice gear there as well...even Marantz.

I saw some nice gear too. I was dying to try a few out, but the sign clearly said to not touch anything without supervision.
A friendly guy or gal to let me play with their speakers would have been great. After about an hour, I gave up.

Mr Peabody
06-14-2011, 06:08 PM
I liked the Martin Logan Motion myself. I heard the floorstanding model, I think the 10. This was right before B&W came in. I've heard some of the B&W sound pretty good with Denon HT set ups. The best B&W audition I heard was a set of the big boys, I forget the model, driven by Mac 1k watt monoblocks. Nothing by ARC or Classe lit a pair up like that. In fact, I thought B&W to always be a bit bass shy until then.

You know GM, I figure if no one shows up to help you in a reasonable time you should help yourself despite the sign. So next time you have my permission.

eisforelectronic
06-14-2011, 06:35 PM
I find that playing with the equipment, especially the system selection panel, to be a quick way to get a salesperson to offer some help.

Tarheel_
06-15-2011, 05:07 AM
I liked the Martin Logan Motion myself. I heard the floorstanding model, I think the 10. This was right before B&W came in. I've heard some of the B&W sound pretty good with Denon HT set ups. The best B&W audition I heard was a set of the big boys, I forget the model, driven by Mac 1k watt monoblocks. Nothing by ARC or Classe lit a pair up like that. In fact, I thought B&W to always be a bit bass shy until then.

You know GM, I figure if no one shows up to help you in a reasonable time you should help yourself despite the sign. So next time you have my permission.

we listened to one of ML's floor models...think it was above the Motion line....it was my 1st time listening to that style of speaker. While very cool looking, it lacked emotion and seemed kind of cold sounding. I guess it's hard to replace the tried and true driver setup of traditional speakers.

Ajani
06-15-2011, 06:13 AM
I find that playing with the equipment, especially the system selection panel, to be a quick way to get a salesperson to offer some help.

LOL, that's exactly the advice I was about to give!

frenchmon
06-15-2011, 07:17 AM
took a 2 hour lunch break with a co-worker who is looking for a 3.1 setup for his living room. He mostly listens to music and watches non-action blu-rays.

This M store had Energy, MartinLogan, B&W, Mirage, Def Tech.

After spending time listening to his demo disc, i felt the B&Ws were superior in sound (and in price). MartinLogan Motion 4 was my 2nd favorite (lack midrange detail though), followed closely by a Def Tech, then Energy with the Mirage a distant last place.

Cannot recall all their model numbers, but what a nice way to burn some time.
Arent you in Raleigh/Durham...the RTP ?

I can think of better stores than Magnolia to go in down there....Audio Advice and Advanced Audio.

GMichael
06-15-2011, 08:44 AM

Next time.:ihih:

rich66
06-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Hi, I am Rich and I wanted to ask a question on which receiver is better for the paradigm monitor series.

rich66
06-15-2011, 11:06 AM
Can anyone give me advise on which receiver would sound the best for my paradigm monitor series speakers? Currently,I have a Yamaha RX-V1900 but it sounds a bit bright on some tracks even if I try and add bass.

Tarheel_
06-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Arent you in Raleigh/Durham...the RTP ?

I can think of better stores than Magnolia to go in down there....Audio Advice and Advanced Audio.

Sadly, Advanced Audio had to close its doors. I purchased a pair of Revels from Tom. He still answers the phone, offers great advice and can still order new gear.

Now, if i can just collect enough coin to get that Theta amp :14:

We are going to visit Audio Advice next week.

frenchmon
06-15-2011, 01:07 PM
Sadly, Advanced Audio had to close its doors. I purchased a pair of Revels from Tom. He still answers the phone, offers great advice and can still order new gear.

Now, if i can just collect enough coin to get that Theta amp :14:

We are going to visit Audio Advice next week.

Ohhh sad to hear that. When I lived down there, I use to go in and speak with Tom and talk audio. I really enjoyed going in and listen to the Marantz Reference with the Revel speakers... There use to be a big Theta amp up near the counter...Is that the one you are speaking of? What about Audio Advice? IS it still there?

Tarheel_
06-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Ohhh sad to hear that. When I lived down there, I use to go in and speak with Tom and talk audio. I really enjoyed going in and listen to the Marantz Reference with the Revel speakers... There use to be a big Theta amp up near the counter...Is that the one you are speaking of? What about Audio Advice? IS it still there?

Audio Advice is still open....if you recall Tom had a couple rooms. One with the Marantz Reference/Revel Performa setup...and the HT room with the Ultimas and Theta gear.

I was hooked/sold on the Revel F30 in that room...and I'm still hoping Santa is going to deliver one of those Dreadnaught amps...they absolutely take Revels to a higher level!

Mr Peabody
06-15-2011, 04:58 PM
Tarheel, you probably heard a set of electrostats, don't dismiss them without a proper audition, amp and placement is critical. The electrostats are magic with tube gear. I doubt Magnolia sells anything that would do them justice, the panels used to swing to a pretty low impedance so if using solid state some current helps. I have to wonder if some of these companies aren't shooting themselves in the foot by allowing the lines in a warehouse store.

Rich66, you should probably start a thread in the "speakers" forum for your question. You might try Marantz for a warmer sound or if budget isn't an issue NAD.

Tarheel_
06-15-2011, 05:11 PM
Tarheel, you probably heard a set of electrostats, don't dismiss them without a proper audition, amp and placement is critical. The electrostats are magic with tube gear. I doubt Magnolia sells anything that would do them justice, the panels used to swing to a pretty low impedance so if using solid state some current helps. I have to wonder if some of these companies aren't shooting themselves in the foot by allowing the lines in a warehouse store.

thanks for the info...the room was slammed full of speakers and gear. MLs were powered by a Pioneer receiver and a budget one at that. I'll hold judgement until i get a better demo. The better half would love something like electrostats in our living room compared to what we have now. I hope to listen to them in another setup.

Odd, the bookshelf MLs sounded great, but the large floor stander just didn't cut it. Reading your post, i'm wondering if there wasn't enough juice for them to stretch.

The whole concept of electrostats is fascinating. I'd love to spend time with a pair in my home.

Ajani
06-15-2011, 05:54 PM
thanks for the info...the room was slammed full of speakers and gear. MLs were powered by a Pioneer receiver and a budget one at that. I'll hold judgement until i get a better demo. The better half would love something like electrostats in our living room compared to what we have now. I hope to listen to them in another setup.

Odd, the bookshelf MLs sounded great, but the large floor stander just didn't cut it. Reading your post, i'm wondering if there wasn't enough juice for them to stretch.

The whole concept of electrostats is fascinating. I'd love to spend time with a pair in my home.

If what you heard were the Motion Series, then they are not Electrostats:

http://www.martinlogan.com/motionSeries/index.php

Mr Peabody
06-15-2011, 06:48 PM
Originally stated by Tarheel, "we listened to one of ML's floor models...< think it was above the Motion line...>.it was < my 1st time listening to that style of speaker.> While very cool looking, it lacked emotion and seemed kind of cold sounding. I guess it's hard to replace the tried and true driver setup of traditional speakers."

Peabody replies presuming from comments Tarheel was not referring to Motion line.

JoeE SP9
06-16-2011, 08:32 AM
If the ML didn't have a transparent screen mounted above what looks like a sub woofer it wasn't one of their ESL models. IIRC their budget line uses planar magnetic tweeters.

After hearing ESL's properly set up it's hard for me to even listen to conventional speakers.

TheHills44060
06-16-2011, 10:11 AM
After hearing ESL's properly set up it's hard for me to even listen to conventional speakers.
Agreed.

The fact that Martin Logan even makes a non ESL nowadays makes my stomach churn.

Tarheel_
06-16-2011, 01:00 PM
If the ML didn't have a transparent screen mounted above what looks like a sub woofer it wasn't one of their ESL models. IIRC their budget line uses planar magnetic tweeters.

This had the transparent screen mounted onto a sub.

I searched their website and found the model I listened to the other day.
MartinLogan - ElectroMotion ESL 8" Floor Speaker
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/MartinLogan+-+ElectroMotion+ESL+8%22+Floor+Speaker+%28Each%29/2074269.p?id=1218308694947&skuId=2074269

Mr Peabody
06-16-2011, 04:06 PM
That is a newer model I have not heard. They are using a paper type cone opposed to aluminum on their higher ESL's. It seems ML is trying to make speakers for every budget. I also wonder now that they sold out to a holding company how much of the original company integrity remains.

I did like the Motion for it's price. Frenchmon wasn't as impressed as myself but we seem to have different tastes or likes in speakers, not all, but a few, and that is what keeps things interesting.