Supertramp...no longer very super. :( [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Supertramp...no longer very super. :(

ForeverAutumn
06-13-2011, 08:08 AM
It’s not very often that I come out of a concert feeling let down, but that’s how I felt after Supertramp’s show here last night.

Low key was an understatement. I think that someone should have given Rick Davies a big pinch to wake him up. I know these guys are getting older and touring is tiresome, but I don’t think that I’ve ever seen such an uninspired performance. No…not just performance…show. It just looked like very little thought was put into the entire show. There was no lighting to speak of. A video screen that was covered with closed curtains more often than it was open and being used. And when it was open, the videos were the same clips that were used 30 years ago. With the exception of the train video for Rudy (which I love) I just thought, why bother?

Rick Davies did not address the audience once. John Helliwell had the honour of playing front man, but the few times that he did talk to the audience it was so obviously scripted (insert city here) that it didn’t sound sincere.

There were several missed opportunities to invite the audience to sing along and make a big deal of it…you know hold out the microphone to them and that sort of stuff, but it didn’t happen. The audience sang along anyway, but there was no effort to engage them.

They took a bow and left the stage before coming back for an encore. But then after the encore they all just slipped off stage while it was dark and they were gone. That was it. Hit the houselights.

The music was good, the band was tight, we had great (and expensive!) seats…all the things that should have made for a great show. But it just left me flat. I enjoyed it, but I didn’t love it. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a live show that I didn’t love.

I've seen Roger Hodgson's solo show a few times in the last few years and I would happily go see him again. But I wouldn't pay to see Supertramp again. Not unless Hodgson was with them. And that's not ever likely to happen.

Fred70433
06-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Wow, what a bummer. I saw Supertramp at Newport News, VA in '79 for the Breakfast in America tour and they were the opposite of everything you post states. I guess the years and the mileage can take its toll, but without Roger Hodgson how is it even possible for them to do Rudy? That is the one song of the show I saw that I still remember like it was yesterday. BTW, the B/W video on Rudy back then was waaay cool. God I miss those days!

Swish
06-15-2011, 12:50 PM
...hasn't been relevant for over 25 years and hasn't released a record in 9 years would be 'uninspired' live.

I could have saved you some money has you sought my advice before buying those tickets.

Me? I'll be seeing the Feelies Friday night, and later on this summer, Yo La Tengo opening for The National. Jealous? :ciappa:

ForeverAutumn
06-15-2011, 02:05 PM
...hasn't been relevant for over 25 years and hasn't released a record in 9 years would be 'uninspired' live.

I could have saved you some money has you sought my advice before buying those tickets.

Me? I'll be seeing the Feelies Friday night, and later on this summer, Yo La Tengo opening for The National. Jealous? :ciappa:

What took you so long? :biggrin5:

Mr Peabody
06-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Hodgeson was the vocals wasn't he? It's hard for a band to recover when they lose their signature sound. Still if a band is going to tour they should give the audience their money worth. As an example, I saw Loverboy at a county fair some years back, it was a rural area so there was a small crowd but nothing to compare to what they are probably used to, my hat is off to them they played a great show and seemed to truly be having a great time.

C-Z
06-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Roger Hodgson (sp?) and Rick Davies shared the lead vocals fairly equally, both were excellent. Not surprised Davies was awkward with the audience. I have a long interview with Hodgson (an "In The Studio" show about their Crime of the Century album), and he talked at length about Davies' social anxiety issues, etc. - not a very functional guy. Hodgson felt very bad about his friend's challenges.

I suspect he was not being rude, just being his strange, uncomfortable self. I think his problems had a lot to do with the group's demise. I always thought he was fantastic, and was sad for him when I listened to this show.

ForeverAutumn
06-16-2011, 05:09 AM
Thanks for that insight C-Z.

I have to add that the crowd of about 15,000 people seemed to LOVE this show. Hubby and I thought it was a bit too low key and a few other serious music fanatics that I know who were at this show agreed with us. But if you were a Supertramp fan, weren't too concerned about the show's aesthetics, and wanted to party and drink, you probably would have had a good time. As I said, the music was good it was just lacking that 'live show energy' that I get so high on.

Mr Peabody
06-16-2011, 04:15 PM
Yeah C-Z good info.

Ex Lion Tamer
06-19-2011, 01:10 PM

I am - especially about The Feelies - saw them for the one and only time opening for R.E.M. when The Good Earth Came out. I'll have to check if thery're coming to my neck anytimne soon.

I did see Yo La Tengo about a year ago and The National around the same time - both great shows.

Rae
06-19-2011, 01:23 PM
Ahh, someday I will see the Feelies.

I'm going to the Yo La Tengo show here on Friday night... it's a "Spin the Wheel" show-- not sure if they're going to be doing that opening for the National.

~Rae