Any Kyuss fans here? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any Kyuss fans here?

ForeverAutumn
06-10-2011, 07:53 AM
They've reformed (without Josh Homme) and are touring!!!

Dates are here, http://www.kyusslives.com/, click on Tourdates (duh!). :D

First The Tea Party reunite and now Kyuss. This is turning into an awesome summer!!! :thumbsup:

Stone
06-10-2011, 08:05 AM
I wouldn't call myself a huge fan or anything, but I just happened to listen to Blues For the Red Sun last week. A little Kyuss goes quite a ways for me, but I do enjoy it when I listen. I'll be interested to hear if they decide to record something again.

jonnyhambone
06-10-2011, 09:06 AM
yep, listen to them a fair amount...probably like Sky Valley the most but have Blues for the Red Sun on vinyl so it tends to get more plays. Not sure how they'll be sans Josh Homme but I probably won't get the chance to find out - closest I'll get is the D.C. show but I'm there for work a few weeks before the show so will miss that...thanks for the heads-up. Anyone going to any other cool shows in upcoming months? (I'll be seeing the Thurston Moore/Kurt Vile show in July and James Blake again in Sept., maybe the Swans too...).

Rae
06-11-2011, 06:55 AM
Oh, hey Jonny! I'll be at that Kurt Vile show!

I can go for Kyuss when I'm in the right mood but I wish those old records sounded better. Usually my stoner rock urges lead me to Sleep, although I realize they're a slightly different animal.

~Rae

ForeverAutumn
06-11-2011, 07:05 AM
I can go for Kyuss when I'm in the right mood but I wish those old records sounded better.

We listened to Circus and Sky Valley yesterday (Hubby was not impressed :() and they really do sound crappy. I'd forgotten how bad the recording was.

jonnyhambone
06-11-2011, 08:04 PM
I have a german repress - don't know if any remastering happened - of Blues for Red Sun that sounds pretty good, a bit muddy on the low end but the high end parts (heh heh, high) sounds pretty crisp and good. Sky Valley sounds a bit crappy. In the heavy vein, I picked up a vinyl copy of Opeth's Blackwater Park recently that sounds great! It's a fun listen through headphones when I'm in that mood - man, they're really good!..I remembered the vocals but had forgotten how awesome they are musically.
off topic sorta but ice age is excellent if you're feeling like something punky and aggressive but with a touch of shoegazey atmosphere circa early 80's sounds. They're a couple of 17 yr. old Danish kids that just kick it out - listen to the breakdown that happens a couple minutes into White Rune (http://stereogum.com/680052/iceage-white-rune/mp3s/) - just awesome. and they're on tour in the US this summer...at the Triple Rock in August (Rae!)

ForeverAutumn
06-12-2011, 05:58 AM
Yeah, I'm a big Opeth fan. I don't normally like death metal vocals but I make an exception for Opeth because the music is just so damn good. When Akerfeldt sings clean he has an amazing voice! If you like Blackwater Park then check out Ghost Reveries if you haven't already, great album.

Thanks for the tip on Ice Age. There's a thread about them over on Progressive Ears. They're on my list of bands to check out...sounds like something that I would enjoy.