Polk Monitor 30 series 2 - right out of the box [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Polk Monitor 30 series 2 - right out of the box

Hyfi
06-07-2011, 08:51 PM
I was searching for a pair of small bookshelf speaker to replace 40 y/o mismatched crap in my gym when I get my Hafler amp back from repair to eliminate buzz in the speakers. I didn't want to spend a lot of cash since this is only for use when working out or background music for the second floor. I didn't want to spend more than $100 and knew what the limitations would be.

I have never really been a big fan of Polks. I have heard their largest LSi pair with Caimbridge gear and was thoroughly unimpressed. So I knew what I was in for.

I found some adds for Newegg when Googling, for items that you could not find if searching right on their site. What I found first was the Monitor 40 Series II, listing at $300 before replacement by the LSi series, going for $119 plus $2.99 shipping. They were just a little too big for my application. I then found the Monitor 30s in both Black and Cherry vinyl selling for $89 plus $2.99 shipping but the sale was over Sunday.

I pulled the trigger Sunday afternoon on the 30s and by Monday both the 30s and 40s were $30 more at Neweegg.

They arrived Tuesday afternoon. Packaging was one box with Styrofoam inserts top and bottom with each speaker in a plastic bag. No problems there. The cherry finish looks like vinyl a little but I hate black boxes anymore.

They have 2 sets of connectors with a jumper for Bi-wiring/amping if desired. I read lots of reviews and one complaint I saw was that you couldn't use banana connectors. That person was not to swift as there was just a set of plastic covers over the hole.

I placed them on top of my Clearfields so they were a bit high but then tilted them down a bit for testing. I connected them to my main system and played around with sub off and on. I played two of my older comps, Smooth Jazz Pizzaz and Rippin Good Fusion, both of which have many well recorded tasteful jamming tunes.

So right out of the box, these little guys are not bad for $90 bucks. The soft tweeter is very good and did not fatigue me in any way after 2 hours of listening. For the size room they were in, they were a bit hollow and of course lack the mid-range I am used to. Bass was there and distinct, just not low and room shaking, but I knew that would be the case. Coupled with my sub, the music was very full, still lacking mids, but involving. I found myself tapping my feet and really enjoying these toy speakers.

I know they will sound better once I get some hours logged on them and will surely sound different with my Hafler gear, but not a bad little speaker.

Hyfi
06-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Forgot to mention that these little guys are about the same size as my Dynaudio 42s but weigh a little less near 9lbs.

You can also feel the cabinets vibrating during music playback even though they are quite solid. The 42s hardly resonate at all so right off you can tell that internal construction is lacking, but they list for 1/3 the price of the Danes.

harley .guy07
06-08-2011, 05:39 AM
Well it is hard to find good stuff in that price class. I have seen so much junk in the cheaper speakers that to even hear that someone has had a good experience with a cheap speaker surprises me. But every once in a while a person will have a good cheap audio experience and that is not a bad thing.

TheHills44060
06-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Glad you went with the cherry. I too am so sick of black ash boxes everywhere.

recoveryone
06-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Sounds like a little DIY project to tighten up those boxes.