New Port Show [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Port Show

atomicAdam
05-31-2011, 12:46 PM
Hey All -

Anyone going to the New Port show and might be interested in doing a write up to feature on AudioReview?

Thanks
-adam

Byron4
06-04-2011, 06:31 PM
Since nobody has replied I will do the best I can. I was not planning on going to the show due to the 82 mile drive, however at the last minute I decided to attend only Saturday. Given the limited time the following are the rooms I enjoyed most.

Hi 5 Stereo had the Magnepan 3.7 speakers and Audio Research electronics. This room was one my favorites and I could have spent a lot more time here but since it was crowded I did not want to be greedy. They also had a second room with Tannoy speakers driven by Cary electronics. This was a totally different sound. However, playing organ music was a wonderful listening experience. I especially got a kick out of the sustained 18hz note.

Optimal Enchantment were playing Vandersteen speakers and Audio Research electronics. I almost missed this room because a number of rooms had secondary rooms with the doors closed. I am glad I got to hear these speakers because I liked them a lot.

I was not familiar with Sonorus Audio however they were making outstanding sounds using analog tape. They were playing full range electrostatic speakers. The flyer said it was model ESL06.

Gene Rubin was playing the LFD amplifier with Harbeth speakers that Sam Tellig raved about. This was a very musical setup and I can see why non-audiophile music lovers would really enjoy this system.

Another room I almost missed because it was off the beaten path were the Reference 3A speakers. I do not remember the electronics but I just enjoyed the sound.

The Acoustic Zen and Triode electronics room was another room I wish I could have stayed longer. This was a very enjoyable sound. The Triode electronics are also beautiful to look at while your music is playing.

One thing I found interesting was the lack of CD players. I saw a number of laptops and music servers used as the source instead. I also saw a number of turntables and even a few analog tape machines. Even the Sony room was playing vinyl.

I have purposely not mentioned the rooms I did not like because I am not qualified to criticize however a lot of these rooms seemed a little bright and lacking deep bass. A few rooms were so loud it seemed to disrupt the sound from adjacent rooms.

I hope next year they have the show in a more centralized location such as one of the Los Angeles Airport hotels where Stereophile used to hold their shows. Overall it was still a pleasant experience.

atomicAdam
06-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the report Byron -

And yes - I've noticed as well "One thing I found interesting was the lack of CD players. I saw a number of laptops and music servers used as the source instead. I also saw a number of turntables and even a few analog tape machines. Even the Sony room was playing vinyl."

Music servers are the next big thing, unless you are a vinylphile.

And remember - at shows - you are lucky to get about 60-70% of the systems ability. It is so hard to dial a room and equipment in in a day and everything sound perfect.

bobsticks
06-06-2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the review Byron. I appreciate the comments on Acoustic Zen and Triode room. That set up would be as polar opposite from my own as one could imagine yet both companies have impressed me. I find that combo intriguing.

RoyY51
06-06-2011, 05:26 PM
I had hoped to attend, but since my wife had an unplanned knee replacement on the 2nd I am forced to live vicariously through your experiences. Did you hear any of the live music? How 'bout the car show? Would you consider it well-organized? How many Industry Heavyweights got drunk, said something really embarrassing, then threw up on their shoes?

Anyone else who attended would be encouraged to chime in here as well. I'm thinking about going next year and would like to know if you think it was worth it.

Gotta go...time to pick up my nurse's uniform from the cleaners.

RoyY51
06-10-2011, 05:45 PM
No less a luminary than Robert Harley of Absolute Sound has proclaimed T.H.E. Show in Newport Beach as the best audio show (out of 70-odd throughout the world) that he has ever attended. Now, I REALLY (apologies to Pixie for the caps...I know that's HIS THING) want to hear any first-hand experiences that our contributors might have had.

I'm jones'n here!!

hifitommy
06-11-2011, 04:29 PM
a quick note on rogersound labs. what a bargain! for $1250 one gets a sub/sat system that has wonderful imaging and great bass thats both deep and tight. a guy could buy sound unheard and never be sorry.

rich66
06-15-2011, 10:29 AM
Hello all, looking for advise on receivers.

rich66
06-15-2011, 11:13 AM
Is anyone available for question?

JohnMichael
06-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Rich answers are not instant and please take time to see how the forums work. Please do not post the same question again.

hifitommy
07-15-2011, 02:24 PM
thats a pretty vague question. stereo is a good format and for that i might look for the outlaw which has been well received in the press.

harman kardon is another. they are usually heavier for a given power rating than the competition which means there are more hefty parts like transformers which can translate to better sound. with hk, it does.

thats a start for you.

" Is anyone available for question?" i completely understand this stance. AR has been a bit sparse these days and it makes one wonder if anybody is out there.