Garage Band -- Troy question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Garage Band -- Troy question

MasterCylinder
04-13-2004, 11:29 AM
So this is something off of a MAC ?

This software -- sounds to me like as long as you are driven and patient, you can really create some difficult tracks ???...............track 5 has some great vibe voice.

Reminds (somewhat) me of Zappa in JAZZ FROM HELL.

Good work !

Davey
04-13-2004, 12:05 PM
Troy's not available right now. He's in the "studio" trying to program his Mac to produce the sound of Keneally's ancient Korg PME 40X modular effects unit with chorus, flanger, EQ and compression. He hasn't done any DesignShed work in weeks. Hardly eats anymore. Hasn't showered in days. Julie doesn't know what to do. Stay tuned ;)

Troy
04-13-2004, 12:24 PM
MC- yeah, the program is built into the Mac OS now. GBuy the computer and it's just there along with all the other multi-media software. If you run OSX and your computer has a DVD drive, you can buy and install it as part of a $49 upgrade (what I did).

The parallels to the synclavier are close. You definitely use it in the same way, but the instrument voices and interface have come a long way since the 80s.

You can go down to 32nd notes with a 180BPM tempo. Yeah, you can get ridiculously intricate. It's all about what YOU want to do with it.

Davey, you have no idea how close to correct you are.

Hyfi
04-13-2004, 04:45 PM
Hey I have a question about the clipping on some of the higher energy tracks. Seems like on at least half the tracks when there is a big drum kick or any other hard notes, i get a sound that would remind you of a cracking sound from buffer underrun. Is this on all the disks, just a glitch in the copy process, or is my system reproducing things you didn't know were there?

Otherwise, way cool ****! I can see your not gettin much work done these days.

Troy
04-13-2004, 05:36 PM
Hey I have a question about the clipping on some of the higher energy tracks. Seems like on at least half the tracks when there is a big drum kick or any other hard notes, i get a sound that would remind you of a cracking sound from buffer underrun. Is this on all the disks, just a glitch in the copy process, or is my system reproducing things you didn't know were there?

Otherwise, way cool ****! I can see your not gettin much work done these days.

Anyone else having this problem? It's not something I've experienced witht he hundreds of CDs I've burned over the years..

Does it happen with the deep bass os is it a general volume issue? Specific tracks?

I did my best to avoid compression as much as possible and because of that, the mix might be a bit rich . . .

Glad you're liking it.

Finch Platte
04-13-2004, 07:04 PM
Troy's not available right now. He's in the "studio" trying to program his Mac to produce the sound of Keneally's ancient Korg PME 40X modular effects unit with chorus, flanger, EQ and compression. He hasn't done any DesignShed work in weeks. Hardly eats anymore. Hasn't showered in days. Julie doesn't know what to do. Stay tuned ;)

..the article a few Rolling Stones back about the guys who surfed the net for young boys. They were so hooked they kept a bottle near the computer to pee in.

Altogether now: EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

fp

chrisnz
04-13-2004, 10:02 PM
Anyone else having this problem? It's not something I've experienced witht he hundreds of CDs I've burned over the years..

Does it happen with the deep bass os is it a general volume issue? Specific tracks?

I did my best to avoid compression as much as possible and because of that, the mix might be a bit rich . . .

Glad you're liking it.

I don't think I'm getting any mistracking, maybe there's some clipping on Skywriting but all the tracks are pegged to the absolute max and the transients are ferocious. Not much analogue warmth :-)

My editor software, Adobe Audition, hates those 0db peaks and thinks they're are all potentially clipping. Here's it's report on the first track :-

Left Right
Min Sample Value: -32768 -32768
Max Sample Value: 32767 32767
Peak Amplitude: 0 dB 0 dB
Possibly Clipped: 14131 12684
DC Offset: .013 .014
Minimum RMS Power: -75.59 dB -73.76 dB
Maximum RMS Power: -3.51 dB -3.47 dB
Average RMS Power: -12.7 dB -12.87 dB
Total RMS Power: -12.1 dB -12.25 dB
Actual Bit Depth: 16 Bits 16 Bits

Using RMS Window of 50 ms

Doesn't mean much to me other than to notice every peak goes to 0db.

Maybe valves can't cope with that? :-)

Chris.

PS Morocco Mole rules.

Dusty Chalk
04-14-2004, 01:32 AM
Anyone else having this problem?Nope, not I. There's some deliberate distortion later in the sequence, but it doesn't sound as Hyfi described at all. Sounds like a blown speaker.

Finch: Yup. Ew.

Hyfi
04-14-2004, 04:01 AM
I will scan thru it again and point out specific tracks/time spots. One of the tracks you are using something for percussion similar to a clap. I know it does it at every clap.

Hyfi
04-14-2004, 04:02 AM
hmmmmm, maybe the tube pre is having problems. I think I will spin it on something else or the car and see.

Dave_G
04-14-2004, 04:53 AM
I took my copy and converted it to analog then pressed 100 lp's and took the 88th one and made casette masters then dubbed it onto 8 track and it cleaned it up.

Dave

Troy
04-14-2004, 07:21 AM
..the article a few Rolling Stones back about the guys who surfed the net for young boys. They were so hooked they kept a bottle near the computer to pee in.

Altogether now: EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

fp

Gee, what a nice thing to be even remotely associated with. Thanks Elf Pee.

ChrisNZ, WTF does all that mean?

Hyfi, LMK what your results are in other players.

Dave Geezer, try mastering it to 78 and play it on a turntable without that speed so that you have to spin the disc faster with your finger. Don't forget to put a quarter on the tone-arm.

Hyfi
04-14-2004, 06:32 PM
Troy, seems to play fine in the car and on the pc. Maybe my valves just don't like it for some reason.

Still cool and thanks for the copy!

PS- Teacher is younger than me and was stationed in San Diego. He heard of it but was never there. He also said he was ordering a copy of the book when he gave me back mine.