Dumb newbie cartridge question... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums


View Full Version : Dumb newbie cartridge question...

04-13-2004, 11:22 AM
Hello, I have an old Dual turntable that I want to hook up. How can I tell if the cartridge is MM or MC? Thank you, Michael

04-26-2004, 05:48 AM
Simple. Because the output of mc cartridges are generally an order of magnitude lower than that of mm cartridges, plug it into a receiver or amplifier with an mm input (that's virtually all of them that have a phono input) and if the output is very low even at high gain, it is almost certainly mc. If it is about the same as for other inputs such as the tuner, cd player, or tape, it is almost certainly mm. If it appears that the stylus can be removed and replaced by you at home, it is likely mm. Many mc cartridges have to have the stylus replaced by someone equipped to service it. Finally, you can check with the manufacturer or distributor. Most popular cartridges are mm. These brands include pickering, empire, stanton, shure, adc, grado, elac while the most widely distributed mm cartridges are made by ortofon. See if there are any markings on it indicating who made it and even better yet what model it is. If you are still in doubt, post the make on the analog board and someone is almost sure to recognize it.