Forever shall I be shamed... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Forever shall I be shamed...

atomicAdam
05-29-2011, 08:31 AM
Printed in 1975 - Opened in 2011 - destroyed the next day.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/medium/IMAG0594.jpg

B.B. King - Lucille Talks Back

Don't leave your vinyl in the sun kids!

poppachubby
05-29-2011, 03:21 PM
Dude what is you problem? I think you have a subconcious desire to destroy things. Oh well now that it's ruined nothing left to do but caulk it and play it with your Zu cart.

atomicAdam
05-31-2011, 12:48 PM
PC -

I think I have a subconcious hatred towards working things.

Seriously though - that isn't a bad deal. I am really good and finding bugs and broken things. Or breaking something which turned out to be fortuitous because it enlighten a larger issue.

If there was a job whose job it was to break stuff - i'd probably be interested if anyone knows a hook up.

GMichael
05-31-2011, 12:58 PM
My wife decided that my extensive LP collection would store better behind the furnace. Short story: I no longer have an LP collection.
I have heard that you can bring some LP's back by putting them between two sheets of glass and leaving them in the sun for a bit.

atomicAdam
05-31-2011, 01:14 PM
My wife decided that my extensive LP collection would store better behind the furnace. Short story: I no longer have an LP collection.
I have heard that you can bring some LP's back by putting them between two sheets of glass and leaving them in the sun for a bit.

Still married - you took those vows very seriously didn't you?

That glass method sounds smarter than the 'in the oven' method I've heard of.

GMichael
05-31-2011, 01:16 PM
Still married - you took those vows very seriously didn't you?

That glass method sounds smarter than the 'in the oven' method I've heard of.

It was shortly after we first got married. She came from a very different culture. I had to cut her some slack, but I still bring it up now and then almost 10 years later.:devil:

bobsticks
05-31-2011, 01:58 PM
Simply...ouch.

atomicAdam
05-31-2011, 02:14 PM
....but I still bring it up now and then almost 10 years later.:devil:

I love stuff like that! My mom ate the head of my cookie monster birthday cake I had when I was like 4 or 5 and I've never forgotten. And I bring it up every now and again. Priceless!

frenchmon
05-31-2011, 03:43 PM
Firstly...that would have been the time a grown man cried....then after that melt down..... who knows.

GMichael
06-01-2011, 06:12 AM
Firstly...that would have been the time a grown man cried....then after that melt down..... who knows.

Oh, I cried alright. Jumped up and down shouting and pointing. The tears just kept coming as I pulled each record out one by one.

She never had a furnice in the Philippines and didn't know that they got, "that hot."

JohnMichael
06-01-2011, 06:46 AM
I would hate to set VTA for that record. There is a company that makes a record flattening device that one of your local audio shops might have. Not to purchase but as a service they might try to flatten it for you.

The Furutech DF-2 LP Flattener might help flatten it. It cost $2,170 which is why I did not think you would want to buy one. I had a local dealer with a great record cleaning machine and they would charge $.50 an album. Maybe you could find a dealer who might flatten it for $1 or 2.

Robert-The-Rambler
06-01-2011, 07:09 AM
Printed in 1975 - Opened in 2011 - destroyed the next day.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/medium/IMAG0594.jpg

B.B. King - Lucille Talks Back

Don't leave your vinyl in the sun kids!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Xrlf3taEo

atomicAdam
06-01-2011, 07:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Xrlf3taEo

lol! nice video!

atomicAdam
06-01-2011, 07:35 AM
Oh, I cried alright. Jumped up and down shouting and pointing. The tears just kept coming as I pulled each record out one by one.

She never had a furnice in the Philippines and didn't know that they got, "that hot."

A furnace in the Philippines is like AC in Alaska.

basite
06-01-2011, 07:46 AM
you've wasted that one seriously man...

the 2 sheets of glass methods works (you'll have to put it in the sun again, but an electric blanket/sheet) works fine too),

but that's for warped records, like, oh no, a bump which might accidentally make my needle skip...

THIS, however, is a, well, slightly different story... :D
I see one big warp, and several smaller ones in other directions...
you could always try the glass method, and believe it or not, the oven actually works too, but still, glass needed (same procedure, just the oven to keep the record warm), who knows what'll happen.

The Furutech record straightener, and the clearaudio thing that does the same is basically the same as the glass sheets, only, without glass sheets...

oh well...

if all else fails though:

http://www.instructables.com/image/FTL2SOSFM7WH2NS/Record-Bowls.jpg

http://www.boingboing.net/201005171350.jpg

Apparently, they make great bowls too!

(in all honestly, I kinda had the same with a record a few months ago, stupid mistake... It wasn't such a precious record though...)

good luck, and
Keep them spinning!
Bert.

atomicAdam
06-01-2011, 08:07 AM
Bert that second one is nice! That is def an interesting idea.

But I'm def going to try the class method soon.

Robert-The-Rambler
06-01-2011, 08:08 AM
lol! nice video!

I hate breaking stuff myself. My damage tally in computer parts is a lot.

GMichael
06-01-2011, 08:21 AM
Bert that second one is nice! That is def an interesting idea.

But I'm def going to try the class method soon.

I tried to have class once. It just wasn't for me.

atomicAdam
06-01-2011, 08:31 AM
I tried to have class once. It just wasn't for me.

Even 4 years of college didn't cure the fact I was born in Arkansas.

frenchmon
06-01-2011, 08:34 AM

Just the mere fact that you cried showed you bleed audio and are a nut...like the rest of us....you passed your test with flying colors Mr. Michael. Good job:6:

Robert-The-Rambler
06-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Just the mere fact that you cried showed you bleed audio and are a nut...like the rest of us....you passed your test with flying colors Mr. Michael. Good job:6:

For my Gemini XPM-1200 amp that I blew up watching Return of the Jedi on DVD when I wired two subs to the single bridged output of my amp by intertwining the speaker wire. There was no A/B speaker terminals so I thought I was being smart. The amp died somewhere during the movie but man was it loud and boy was I a dumbass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jcv6mh0uok

GMichael
06-01-2011, 08:49 AM

Thanks, but no more tests please.:prrr:
I couldn't take it again.:blush2:

basite
06-01-2011, 09:19 AM

we could, however, blow your tweeters again...

You know how that feels, shouldn't come too hard... :p

(just as a stress test, just making sure...)

GMichael
06-01-2011, 10:08 AM
we could, however, blow your tweeters again...

You know how that feels, shouldn't come too hard... :p

(just as a stress test, just making sure...)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...................:yikes:

No thank you. I had to talk the wife through the soldering process last time. The old eyes just are not what they used to be.
Go ahead, gloat. Your day will come Mr. Happy 20 year old. :hand:

frenchmon
06-01-2011, 10:26 AM

lol....I hear ya loud and clear...

basite
06-01-2011, 11:07 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...................:yikes:

No thank you. I had to talk the wife through the soldering process last time. The old eyes just are not what they used to be.
Go ahead, gloat. Your day will come Mr. Happy 20 year old. :hand:

Haha,

I hear ya! and if it's any consolation, I've been wearing glasses since I was 6, now at -7,5 in both eyes. Soldering tonearm wires is a serious PITA, and usually ends in a break between soldering each wire to let my eyes "recover" from the flux smoke... :D

(and no, I promise, we won't blow your tweeters anymore...)

btw, how are those speakers (and the man & his family owning them) doing? it's been a serious while again since I've been here...

Regards,
Bert.

GMichael
06-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Haha,

I hear ya! and if it's any consolation, I've been wearing glasses since I was 6, now at -7,5 in both eyes. Soldering tonearm wires is a serious PITA, and usually ends in a break between soldering each wire to let my eyes "recover" from the flux smoke... :D

(and no, I promise, we won't blow your tweeters anymore...)

btw, how are those speakers (and the man & his family owning them) doing? it's been a serious while again since I've been here...

Regards,
Bert.

Sorry 'bout the glasses. It is a huge pain.

Thanks,

Replacement tweeters may be hard to come by now.

The family is great. The little girl lights up my life.
The speakers themselves are great, but I do have issues with them. The manufacturer never did get around to making the matching center & surrounds. Then they up and went out of business. So now I'm stuck with a system that doesn't match, and a love for the mains that won't let me sell them.

How are things on your end?

basite
06-02-2011, 01:32 AM
Sorry 'bout the glasses. It is a huge pain.

Thanks,

Replacement tweeters may be hard to come by now.

The family is great. The little girl lights up my life.
The speakers themselves are great, but I do have issues with them. The manufacturer never did get around to making the matching center & surrounds. Then they up and went out of business. So now I'm stuck with a system that doesn't match, and a love for the mains that won't let me sell them.

How are things on your end?

it's not really a pain, just an inconvenience :), but I can manage...
(and I look better with glasses)

How about a DIY center, that matches the mains somewhat, shouldn't be too hard to find similar mids and ribbon tweeters I think...

Glad to hear everything is fine there.
All is good here too, studying for my exams now, going for a college degree as sound engineer, so it's fun too :D

for the rest, everything is going great, girlfriend, summer is back, ...
I get around :)

Regards,
Bert.

GMichael
06-02-2011, 08:07 AM
it's not really a pain, just an inconvenience :), but I can manage...
(and I look better with glasses)

How about a DIY center, that matches the mains somewhat, shouldn't be too hard to find similar mids and ribbon tweeters I think...

Glad to hear everything is fine there.
All is good here too, studying for my exams now, going for a college degree as sound engineer, so it's fun too :D

for the rest, everything is going great, girlfriend, summer is back, ...
I get around :)

Regards,
Bert.

Cool. It sounds like things are looking good over there. Keep up the great work. How long until you graduate?

I thought of a DIY project. I may be able to get the sound quality close, but I'd never match the looks. I painted that DIY sub I built about 12 times and just couldn't get the match I wanted. It ended up OK, but not as close as I'd like.

TheHills44060
06-02-2011, 09:41 AM

Oh good heavens. It's been a full five minutes since reading this post and i am still trembling!

basite
06-04-2011, 12:33 AM
Cool. It sounds like things are looking good over there. Keep up the great work. How long until you graduate?

I thought of a DIY project. I may be able to get the sound quality close, but I'd never match the looks. I painted that DIY sub I built about 12 times and just couldn't get the match I wanted. It ended up OK, but not as close as I'd like.

should be 2 years before graduation, if all goes well :D

IIRC - wait *looks up*, okay I IIRC'd correctly - your speakers are veneered, with a pretty high gloss laquer over them. you'd have to be a be a paint wizard to recreate this color with paint, or stain, or laquer, alone.
I tried matching a color to a veneer too, and failed too.

however, you could get a piece of veneer, similar or the same (from the same sort of tree) as your main speakers, and stain that, and then use spray paint to create the high gloss.

Creating the gloss takes some layers, but the end result can be pretty good even with simple materials. I built my first turntable, out of MDF & birch ply, and managed to get a pretty good piano black look with cheap spray cans (automotive paint).

it's just the veneer that makes it complete. Staining it to the correct color might still be a challenge, but it's far easier. a dark red stain, very lightly.

I suspect they used some kind of rosewood veneer on your speakers, brazilian or palisander. The finish is quite common, and they could help you out in a paint shop to help you find the right one.

Then mount your drivers in a black/very dark gray matte part, so not veneered (i think this is like your speakers too, or was that just the grill - i forgot), this way, there is less red veneer visible, which could hide a possible subtle color mismatch too...

just an idea? :D

Keep them spinning,
Bert.