Yamaha RX-A1000...sure hope it's an upgrade! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha RX-A1000...sure hope it's an upgrade!

N. Abstentia
05-27-2011, 07:21 AM
Well, I couldn't stand it any longer. I've had the upgrade itch real bad for about 6 months and just couldn't wait any longer.

Currently using the Outlaw 990 pre/pro with a Boston 7 channel amp. I've had the Outlaw since they day they came out and it's phenomenal. However, I've outgrown it. It has no HDMI, so I have to deal with that with an external box. When I added BluRay to it, I had to give up my SACD's since it has no internal decoders for BluRay audio. I have an LCD and a projector, so I have to have an external HDMI splitter. I'm out of HDMI inputs on my switcher now and would have to replace that. So, it's time. I've been waiting 2 years for Outlaw to come out with the replacement but they've abandoned that, so I had to go elsewhere.

I just hope this Yamaha is an upgrade! Any users here?

I'm normally a pre/pro guy, but it basically came down to price, features, and financing. I didn't want a receiver, but I just can't afford a $1600 pre/pro. Plus, BestBuy's 3 year financing pretty much nailed down where I was going to get it!

Now, not only would I normally not buy a receiver....much less a Yamaha. I just always perceived them as 'lesser' than other brands. I don't know why.

But, you know what? Yamaha is the ONLY company thoughtful enough to include all the basic features I need, so they got my business.

Onkyo is a bunch of morons for not including a simple 12v DC trigger, or at least a switched outlet for amp/screen turn on.

Denon is a bunch of morons for not including 7.1 analog inputs on their new receivers.

Marantz is a bunch of morons for not including dual HDMI outputs on their new receivers even though the models they directly replaced DID HAVE DUAL OUTPUTS!

So it basically came down to two options...this Yamaha or the Marantz SR7005, which is $600 more, STILL a receiver, and only has 5 HDMI inputs.

Feature wise, the Yamaha is the clear winner. I just hope it's up to snuff sound wise!

GMichael
05-27-2011, 08:38 AM
That model seems very option rich. The only knock I've read is that it doesn't have as much power as some previous models. If you are going to keep using your external amps, then you should end up very happy.

N. Abstentia
05-27-2011, 09:29 AM
That model seems very option rich. The only knock I've read is that it doesn't have as much power as some previous models. If you are going to keep using your external amps, then you should end up very happy.

Exactly. I don't care if the internal amps sound like warmed over crap! My mains are self powered Paradigm Reference Active 40's and the center and surrounds are powered by 3 channels of a 7 channel amp so I have plenty of power to spare :)

I'll probably use the receivers amps to power the zone 2 outdoor speakers though, which are currently also powered by the 7 channel.

N. Abstentia
06-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Well.....definitely worth the upgrade. I'm quite impressed with this Yamaha receiver, keeping in mind that I'm just using it as a preamp.

The HDMI switching and splitting to 2 displays works so much better than the external box I was using. And man did I miss my SACD's! This baby has all the features I need, and the 7 HDMI inputs is going to come in handy, considering I'm already using 6 of them. Very happy with this Yamaha, and it's not even a brand I would have considered before. But thanks to Onkyo's stupidity, and Denon and Marantz's feature stripping on their new recievers, Yamaha got my business!

pixelthis
06-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Well, I couldn't stand it any longer. I've had the upgrade itch real bad for about 6 months and just couldn't wait any longer.

Currently using the Outlaw 990 pre/pro with a Boston 7 channel amp. I've had the Outlaw since they day they came out and it's phenomenal. However, I've outgrown it. It has no HDMI, so I have to deal with that with an external box. When I added BluRay to it, I had to give up my SACD's since it has no internal decoders for BluRay audio. I have an LCD and a projector, so I have to have an external HDMI splitter. I'm out of HDMI inputs on my switcher now and would have to replace that. So, it's time. I've been waiting 2 years for Outlaw to come out with the replacement but they've abandoned that, so I had to go elsewhere.

I just hope this Yamaha is an upgrade! Any users here?

I'm normally a pre/pro guy, but it basically came down to price, features, and financing. I didn't want a receiver, but I just can't afford a $1600 pre/pro. Plus, BestBuy's 3 year financing pretty much nailed down where I was going to get it!

Now, not only would I normally not buy a receiver....much less a Yamaha. I just always perceived them as 'lesser' than other brands. I don't know why.

But, you know what? Yamaha is the ONLY company thoughtful enough to include all the basic features I need, so they got my business.

Onkyo is a bunch of morons for not including a simple 12v DC trigger, or at least a switched outlet for amp/screen turn on.

Denon is a bunch of morons for not including 7.1 analog inputs on their new receivers.

Marantz is a bunch of morons for not including dual HDMI outputs on their new receivers even though the models they directly replaced DID HAVE DUAL OUTPUTS!

So it basically came down to two options...this Yamaha or the Marantz SR7005, which is $600 more, STILL a receiver, and only has 5 HDMI inputs.

Feature wise, the Yamaha is the clear winner. I just hope it's up to snuff sound wise!

INTEGRA (Onkyos LEXUS line) does have 12v triggers, since more use those for pre-pros, makes sense, so easy on the
"moron" moniker, okay?:1:

N. Abstentia
06-12-2011, 03:34 PM
INTEGRA (Onkyos LEXUS line) does have 12v triggers, since more use those for pre-pros, makes sense, so easy on the
"moron" moniker, okay?:1:

I didn't even know Integra was still in business!

basite
06-13-2011, 06:08 AM
Ooh :)

is there more of a review coming up too?
I'm thinking of buying a RX-V667. Choices are between the yammie or a Denon equivalent (price wise), I don't need all the options, but I sure do like the analog in & out's, and various other connections. the set up menu also appeals to me...

Bear in mind that (for now, at least), I'd be using it as an amp too, since I don't have money to spare for external power amps... :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert

GMichael
06-13-2011, 07:15 AM
How do you like the sound quality compared to your Outlaw?

BadAssJazz
06-13-2011, 08:39 AM

Integra is definitely still in business. I was considering one of their pre-pros before going with Marantz.

I'm glad that you found a receiver with the features that you needed for your setup. I know how frustrating a process that can be, especially with so many manufacturers streamlining functionality.

For what it's worth, there was a time when Yamaha was one of the top 2 - 3 receiver producers quality-wise. They've since fallen out of favor for reasons I've yet to fathom, but I would still consider them a viable option were I in the market for a new AVR.

pixelthis
06-13-2011, 01:40 PM

And who is calling who a "moron"?
Integra is alive and well and moved upscale, thankyouverymuch.:1:

N. Abstentia
06-17-2011, 04:19 AM
And who is calling who a "moron"?
Integra is alive and well and moved upscale, thankyouverymuch.:1:

They must sell to installers only, I couldn't find a single store that carried them!

N. Abstentia
06-17-2011, 04:24 AM
How do you like the sound quality compared to your Outlaw?

I'll tell you this, I'm getting a front soundstage like I never got from the Outlaw. That could be due to not having the levels set right before, but this Yamaha sounds as good or better than the Outlaw. Keep in mind that I use the Yamaha as a preamp and have a dedicated amp for my surround and center speakers, while the mains are self powered Paradigm Active 40's, so from an amp standpoint nothing really changed.

And I think what really helped during setup was my Droid phone! I have an SPL meter app for it, so I ran the test tones and adjusted all the speakers (except the subwoofer) so that they all measured identical SPL levels. I'm going to re-do that though, because I had the phone on the table in front of me when I did it and I should have had it at ear level. I think that made me adjust the surrounds too loud since they would have been partially blocked by the couch at that height.

But if you have a smartphone of some type, go get an SPL meter app!

Mingus
06-19-2011, 04:10 PM
I am thinking of getting the Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000 or RX-A3000 for my main system. My current AV receiver Yamaha RX-V995 is over ten years old is still sounding great by it lacks many of the current features.The RX-A1000 is great but I preferred the additional power of the higher models since I'm not sure if I am getting power amp.

harley .guy07
06-19-2011, 08:10 PM
Well I am glad to hear that people are having a good experience with Yamaha again. I sold them in the 90's and they were at the top of the receiver chain then and then they kind of lost their mojo but it is good to hear that they got it back.

bfalls
06-20-2011, 04:53 AM
Yamaha's have always been a contender. My first Yamaha receiver was the R8. I've since owned the RX-V2092, RX-V2095, M-65 Amp, MX-35 multi-channel amp, DSR-100 Pro Dolby Digital surround processor, ADP-1 AC3 converter, CLV-1000 Laserdisc. The receivers are workhorses and can drive a lower impedance than many receiver. They used the sonic characteristics of many famous venues as templates for their surround formats. I've never had a piece of Yamaha gear die on me.

I don't think they are as musical as other high-end receivers such as the Denons, B&K and others, but definitely hold their own. I still have my RX-V2095, MX-35, M-65 and ADP-1. The RX-V2092 and Laserdisc was sold some time ago. I'm not surprised their receivers would make a good pre-amp.

Mingus
06-20-2011, 08:41 AM
I been using Yamaha receivers for a long time. My other HT systems in the house is another Yamaha and a Onkyo AV receiver. The Aventage has gotten great reviews from other forums. I suspect I will incorporate a 2 channel power amp with the Aventage.

GMichael
06-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Yamaha has seemed to always be on top of the pre-pro side of their receivers. It has been their amps that have been in question. Some years they have been very well made, but some years they have been weak. If someone is going to just use it just as a pre-pro and add amps, then they should end up very happy campers.

My speakers are pretty easy to drive, and my RX-V2500 has more power than I need to drive them. It was a very years after my model came out, that they went back to skimping on the amp section.

Tarheel_
06-28-2011, 05:29 AM
Yamaha has seemed to always be on top of the pre-pro side of their receivers. It has been their amps that have been in question. Some years they have been very well made, but some years they have been weak. If someone is going to just use it just as a pre-pro and add amps, then they should end up very happy campers.

My speakers are pretty easy to drive, and my RX-V2500 has more power than I need to drive them. It was a very years after my model came out, that they went back to skimping on the amp section.

Glad to hear this as i'm 50/50 in the market for a new receiver. I have an outboard amp so i just need HDMI and the processor side of things. I'm looking at the V667 model or a refurbed Marantz SR5004.
Can you give us an update on your opinion of this AVR?

winston
06-28-2011, 09:08 AM
Glad to hear this as i'm 50/50 in the market for a new receiver. I have an outboard amp so i just need HDMI and the processor side of things. I'm looking at the V667 model or a refurbed Marantz SR5004.

Tarheel, if you like, you could trans over to (A4Less) they have a bunch of factory refresh receivers they're authorized refurbish dealers for Onkyo,Marantz and a bunch of other manufactures, the SR5004 is the older model the SR5005 is new... they just added, Cambridge Azur 540R and 640R series to their list also

prices are substantially less over there good luck.http://www.accessories4less.com

GMichael
06-28-2011, 09:26 AM

I understand that the Marantz have better amp sections. But if you have an outboard amp, that's a non-factor. A4less does have some great prices. I see a lot of refurb Marantz on their site. I don't know if that means that a lot of them need refurbing, but it does make me wonder.
With the outbound amp, all you really need is to make sure that the Yammy has all the options you want.

pixelthis
06-28-2011, 02:05 PM
I understand that the Marantz have better amp sections. But if you have an outboard amp, that's a non-factor. A4less does have some great prices. I see a lot of refurb Marantz on their site. I don't know if that means that a lot of them need refurbing, but it does make me wonder.
With the outbound amp, all you really need is to make sure that the Yammy has all the options you want.

NOT really.
YOU NEED a decent qc. ONE of the things you need to do with every receiver and preamp is to put on phones, play something over an input, and switch to another input that is empty, and
TURN THAT SUCKER UP. All the way.
If you very faintly hear the other input, that crosstalk, which means sloppy construction , design, or both.
NOT AS MUCH of a problem as it used to be, but its why I don't buy YAMMY anymore.
IF you hear dead quite you are golden.:1:

GMichael
06-29-2011, 09:09 AM
NOT really.
YOU NEED a decent qc. ONE of the things you need to do with every receiver and preamp is to put on phones, play something over an input, and switch to another input that is empty, and
TURN THAT SUCKER UP. All the way.
If you very faintly hear the other input, that crosstalk, which means sloppy construction , design, or both.
NOT AS MUCH of a problem as it used to be, but its why I don't buy YAMMY anymore.
IF you hear dead quite you are golden.:1:

Every Yamaha I've ever owned (except my 360 enduro) was dead silent. That's why I won't hesitate to tell anyone to go that way.

harley .guy07
06-29-2011, 07:51 PM
I used to sell Yamaha and have never heard the crosstalk issues that some are talking about and have always had the best of reliability with their receivers and other products. I will agree with some posters here that the preamp section seems to be stronger than the amp section in all but the highest end models but I have only used the amp section in mine a couple of times to compare to the outboard amps that I am feeding with them but when I ran them in the shop they were great with all but the more demanding of speakers when it came to dynamics and that is why I myself have always run outboard power amps with my system.

pixelthis
06-30-2011, 07:14 AM
I used to sell Yamaha and have never heard the crosstalk issues that some are talking about and have always had the best of reliability with their receivers and other products. I will agree with some posters here that the preamp section seems to be stronger than the amp section in all but the highest end models but I have only used the amp section in mine a couple of times to compare to the outboard amps that I am feeding with them but when I ran them in the shop they were great with all but the more demanding of speakers when it came to dynamics and that is why I myself have always run outboard power amps with my system.

OKAY, there's a new invention, called the PERIOD, try it or
lay off the crack, whatever.
THE CROSSTALK occurred several years ago, true, but for
such a thing to occur at all in what is supposed to be a
quality brand just shook me, is all, and there were several other QC problems, it was easily the worst receiver I HAVE EVER BOUGHT in terms of QC, Things like the digital board, shutting off
at odd intervals, etc.
My first receiver of a serious sort was a YAMAHA, loved it, but
nostalgia is no good when you are sitting there with
nothing but your TV speakers .:1:

basite
06-30-2011, 10:45 AM
THE CROSSTALK occurred several years ago, true.

You're talking BS and you know it.

We have a Yammie RX-V1300, which is a few years old now too, dead quiet.
I had a Yammie RXV-something, it wasn't top of the line, or anywhere near it. Dead quiet.

True, their amp sections are their weak part, but their last series are definitely a BIG step up.

My denon integrated, however, does have a very very very slight crosstalk.

BTW: I'm repairing a Yamaha CR-2020 at this moment, and while it's a typical japanese receiver (lots and lots of parts), it is extremely well built, and I'm definitely looking forward to using it.

GMichael
06-30-2011, 11:00 AM
THE CROSSTALK occurred several years ago, true, but for
such a thing to occur at all in what is supposed to be a
quality brand just shook me, is all, and there were several other QC problems, it was easily the worst receiver I HAVE EVER BOUGHT in terms of QC, Things like the digital board, shutting off
at odd intervals, etc.
My first receiver of a serious sort was a YAMAHA, loved it, but
nostalgia is no good when you are sitting there with
nothing but your TV speakers .:1:

How far back are you talking there granda Pix?

By the way, I wouldn't hand out too many grammer tips if I were you. Glass houses & all.:nono:

harley .guy07
06-30-2011, 02:10 PM
Well i am definitely not on crack and I have the wrong equipment to have a period but if it makes you feel better to type such things and make yourself look like a little kid saying mine is better than yours then have at it. I was making a simple point about my experience and the experience of say a few hundreds to thousands of dedicated owners of yamaha receivers that I sold when I worked in a high end shop. No I don't know anything about how good they are or how reliable they are I just SOLD THEM for several years but since you are the expert their confucius then you can tell us what they are really like oh wise one.

pixelthis
07-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Well i am definitely not on crack and I have the wrong equipment to have a period but if it makes you feel better to type such things and make yourself look like a little kid saying mine is better than yours then have at it. I was making a simple point about my experience and the experience of say a few hundreds to thousands of dedicated owners of yamaha receivers that I sold when I worked in a high end shop. No I don't know anything about how good they are or how reliable they are I just SOLD THEM for several years but since you are the expert their confucius then you can tell us what they are really like oh wise one.

CHILL.
My experience was true, and is to be weighed against other
information.
BUT YOU know what the main problem with my rxv780?
COMPARED to my first YAMMY it was a blinkin TOY.
That piece of kit was so solid and beautiful, that the plastic
780 by comparison was a TOY.
But my experience is to be tabulated with other info when making a purchase. DOESNT MAKE IT any less pertinent, tho.:1:

pixelthis
07-04-2011, 01:59 PM
How far back are you talking there granda Pix?

By the way, I wouldn't hand out too many grammer tips if I were you. Glass houses & all.:nono:

NOT FAR ENOUGH , sadly, around 2002 or so, shortly before I
bought my first house.
EIGHT or nine years, a lifetime for a kid, an afternoon for an old fart
waiting to die.:1:

harley .guy07
07-04-2011, 08:45 PM
I'll chill its fine I just don't need someone telling me something about a product that I sold for quite a while and even though you seen this with one unit does not damn the whole lot of units. I have never seen the problem you spoke nor had a customer come back with said problem so it looks like your a single out in the mix. I am not saying that Yamaha does not have its sonic problems especially in their amp sections up until their aventage line came out and I have no clue how they do since I am no longer in the business but I will tell you one thing that if Yamaha falls behind in their they will always catch up and either match to competition or do better in the mid to higher end receiver market. I just wished they would step a little further into the high end so people in the high end world would take them seriously.

harley .guy07
07-04-2011, 08:55 PM
And I also called a friend that has a Aventage Receiver and he is running hard to run Infinity Crescendo speakers and he bought the highest end model that they offered and he said he is damn happy with his purchase and even though I am an separate's trooper I am happy that he found musical happiness in what he purchased and I can't take that away from him he is happy with his Aventage and I seen the unit and it is quite to behold with all the options and the fact that it powers all of his crescendo speakers to his satisfaction is saying something.

GMichael
07-05-2011, 05:55 AM
NOT FAR ENOUGH , sadly, around 2002 or so, shortly before I
bought my first house.
EIGHT or nine years, a lifetime for a kid, an afternoon for an old fart
waiting to die.:1:

Thanks,

I'll be 51 in a month. It's been a long time since anyone was nice enough to call me a kid. Thanks again!

And don't "wait to die." Get your ars out there and do something with the time you have left. Maybe you'll meet someone interesting.

pixelthis
07-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Thanks,

I'll be 51 in a month. It's been a long time since anyone was nice enough to call me a kid. Thanks again!

And don't "wait to die." Get your ars out there and do something with the time you have left. Maybe you'll meet someone interesting.

SMALL problem, stuff(stuff I LIKE, ANYWAY) requires money.
HT is great because, once the investment is made, its cheap.
JUST because I AM WAITING TO DIE, BTW, doesn't mean I AM WASTING my time while doing so. Like banging my head against the wall trying to teach TALKY SOMETHING, for example.
Practical knowledge is nothing like theoretical, which is what TALKIES all about.:1: