heard sounds when I was connecting a lamp, damaging? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : heard sounds when I was connecting a lamp, damaging?

agentsteel
05-25-2011, 02:19 AM
Hey

I was connecting a lamp to the same power board that my audio system is plugged into and the lamp was switched on but as I inserted the plug into board I heard the electrical static type of sound in the board but it also went thru the speakers which could be heard...the amp wasn't cranked loud, have I damaged the speakers or anything?

Cheers

bfalls
05-25-2011, 06:38 AM
I doubt you damaged your speakers from a spike created by a lamp. Spikes may be a higher voltage, but are for such a short period of time not enough current is present to cause any damage. External power conditioners and the power supplies of the components do what they can to suppress the spike, but don't always contain it. If the static was extremely loud, or went on for a good amount of time, it may be cause for concern, otherwise don't worry about it.

If the system still plays and the sound hasn't changed. I doubt you had any damage.

pixelthis
05-25-2011, 12:37 PM
A LOT of people ignore the advice of disconnecting everything
and unplugging during new installs, but its good advice.
DOUBT if you hurt your speakers, but try running them at moderate to high volumes.
If there is damage, only time will tell, usually.:1: