Just a few movies of late!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Just a few movies of late!!!

Worf101
05-23-2011, 05:38 AM
The Bridesmaids - A-minus - Flat out funniest film I've seen in a coon's age. I saw this movie at the Spectrum Thetre Sat. night (www.spectrum8.com) and fell to the floor of the in laughter for the first time since "There's Something About Mary". This flick is a smart and funny response to the whole "Sex In The City" crap and it takes some pretty good swipes at that series and the whole princess for a day b.s. that is the modern marriage money making machine. Go see it!!!!!

Winter's Bone - B-Plus - A great film that's both disturbing and life affirming at the same time. Lot's of things going on in them Missourii hills and some things are better left unknown. Not "Deliverance" but pretty damn good.

Passing Strange- B - Spike Lee's filming of the last performance of Stew's autobiographical Broadway musical of the same name. I recently saw Stew live in Hudson, NY. And as a result I felt compelled to watch this musical of a young man's journey to find himself. I found it uplifting and great.

The Girl Who Kicked A Hornets Nest - B - The third and final movie of the Salander trilogy this one ties up everything in a neat package. Far superior to the dismal second installment, this one reminds you of what all the fuss was about in the first place. Good fun.

All-Star Superman - C - This latest animated story of the life of Superman was somewhat disappointing. One has to care about a character to become fully engrossed in any film. I never felt one inkling of empathy for the "Big Blue Boy Scout" in this one. Only for die-hard Superman fans.

Paranormal Activity 2 - C - They'll keep making these "Blair Witch" rip-off's until they stop making money. Not the worst movie I've ever seen but certainly only worth the price of a rental.

Jackass 3-D - C+ - Better than the second installment but only just. Stupid human tricks get's boring after a while.

If you need a good laugh, go see "The Bridesmades". Much funnier than "The Hangover".

Worf

3LB
05-31-2011, 02:40 PM
Yeah, Jackass was good diversion to happen upon when you are channel surfing, not paying to see.

Sorry to see them try to franchise a decent Indy film like Paranormal Activity. They forget the part where a premise loses its charm after you've already seen it. Its like making a TV series out of The Night Stalker, where every cliched horror movie theme conveniently visits your town.

recoveryone
06-15-2011, 07:01 AM
Story: Better than I expected, has a real storyline and subplot to boot. IMHO if you have served in the Military you may understand the small unit cohesion that is vital to survival, when orders have to be followed no matter how you my feel about the other person. The verbage used was about the most realistic I have seen on screen since Black Hawk Down. No over the top F bomb's like in Jarhead. The Action did not over take the storyline and fit well and supported it very well, not much gore if any really. You don't get to know anything about the aliens at all, for this is mainly about one person getting past his demons and the perception of him by those he fights side by side with.

Blu Ray: Good-Average, nothing jumps out and makes your mouth fall open as many of the scenes are quick cut editing. The use of broadcast TV to show the invading aliens properly saved 10K+ for not having to do detail CGI of the massive force. The scenes with humans are BR through and through. The sound is good and fits well with what is going on. For an action flick the dialog is what drives the storyline. A good rental and for under $20 I recommend a buy it. :3:

Hyfi
06-15-2011, 07:15 AM
I watched The Way Back, which was supposed to be a true story of 4 prisoners that escaped a Russian gulag in 1941 and walked 4000 miles to India. It was later debunked as the person the story was about was actually released from the gulag in 1942.

Anyway, the movie was very good and Colin Farrell steals the show, as he usually does. The scenery is awesome as well as the overall story and historic events.

Two Snaps Up!

dean_martin
06-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Thanks for bumpin' this. I've been promising the wife a date night to see Bridesmaids since you posted about a month ago, Worf. I better come thru soon or my word's gonna be no good. Can't lose that. Unless you're an investment banker, that's about all one has these days.

dean_martin
07-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Finally took the wife to see Bridesmaids on Saturday. We enjoyed it but I think my expectations got the better of me. The "woe is me stuff" went on too long. I was surprised that I found the Wilson Phillips appearance annoying rather than amusing. It certainly had its moments though. Good overall. But, Worf . . . funnier than The Hangover? Really? Did you mean Hangover II?

OK, Worf, on to Winter's Bone. This was my first Blu-Ray purchase. It did a week's run at an independent theater about an hour away from me but I didn't get to go. The subject matter of this one's in my wheelhouse. I enjoyed it, but I felt it could've had a little more flesh on the bone (pun intended). A tidbit about the author of the book on which the film is based: He was a guest on Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations in the Ozarks when he fell in a boat while out night fishing for suckers with Anthony. He broke his shoulder. It was a nasty face-first fall. At first, they thought he went overboard and they had lost him but he was laying in the bottom of the boat unable to move (may have been unconcious).

all1knew
07-06-2011, 08:17 AM
Hello all,

So Bridesmaids isn't a "chick-flick" or so to say, it is a good movie for a couple to see on a date?

Bill

Worf101
07-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Hello all,

So Bridesmaids isn't a "chick-flick" or so to say, it is a good movie for a couple to see on a date?

Bill

To be honest, I'd call it a "Guy Flick with Chicks in it". If you catch my drift. Any guy could watch this movie and be entertained and any woman would be more than entertained.

Worf