DTS DVD Audio recordings - any good? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DTS DVD Audio recordings - any good?

Jim85IROC
04-13-2004, 07:24 AM
I was looking at the Hell Freezes Over DVD-Audio disk last night, and I couldn't find any indication that it's any different than my Hell Freezes Over DVD-video disk. It's a DTS recording, and seems to be a 24-bit/48khz resolution just like what's already on the DVD video that I own. I looked at more DVD Audio disks with the 'dts' logo and they all seemed to be 24-bit/48khz just like their dvd-video counterparts.

Am I missing something here, or is the $15 dvd (complete with video) going to give me equal sound to these $25 dvd audio disks?

I bought the Hotel California DVD Audio instead. That's a 24 bit/192khz remastered recording. :)

Dusty Chalk
04-14-2004, 01:49 AM
Do you have a DVD-Audio player? Some disks are programmed so that the non-DVD-Audio layers don't show up unless in such a player.

Jim85IROC
04-14-2004, 04:57 AM
Yes, I have a DVD Audio player, but I don't want to spend $25 on a disk that's already sonically identical to the video DVD that I own. It seems that a large number of these dts titles are available on dvd-video for less money, and I'm finding no indication that there's any difference.