Where are the Grands? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Grands?

Feanor
05-22-2011, 03:58 AM
Florian, WTF, what happened to the Apogee Grands?

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//501/medium/DSCF3627.JPG

Obviously the Grands wouldn't fit in that room, but then at one time you were ready to fine a location that would accomodate the Grands. What is the cause of this new, sad compromise?

Also, I'm seeing a lot more vinyl and even tube equipment; what's next? Audio Note?

JohnMichael
05-22-2011, 05:52 AM
I love the painting on the back wall.

Florian
05-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Well Bill,

this sad compromise is the result of my relocation to Switzerland and the fact that the Grands are currently at Weiteck audio for restoration. I will travel there in June to go over the whole project and we are going to set timelines.

Currently the system consists of:

CAT SL1 MK II Preamp (all new tubes)
Sphinx Project 32 CD Player and DAC
Monarchy Audio 22B DAC
JVC- M 3030 Stereoblock for subwoofers
2x DIY Passive, sealed acoustics suspension subwoofers. (300 lbs each)
3x Krell KRS 200 monos (only two in use for the Apogees)
Audiomeca Romance turntable
Audiomeca Romeo Arm
Grado Platinium Reference Wood MM System
Clearaudio record clamp
All Magnan Type VI interconnects
Element Red Storm power cables
Magnan Reference Interconnects
800 Vinyls (600 classic and 200 rock)
aprox. 300cds or so
Room acoustics as well and dedicated rotary 380volts power

Its small and cute, i currently looking for a new room to build, buy or rent for the Grand. It does not fit in our current house :-(

PS: On the AudioNote: Each of the KRS is a mono block. 2 transformers per mono and 40 transistors, fully balanced. Down to 0.15ohm ..... measured ;-)

RGA
05-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Florian, WTF, what happened to the Apogee Grands?

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//501/medium/DSCF3627.JPG

Obviously the Grands wouldn't fit in that room, but then at one time you were ready to fine a location that would accomodate the Grands. What is the cause of this new, sad compromise?

Also, I'm seeing a lot more vinyl and even tube equipment; what's next? Audio Note?

I would like him to take a level three Audio Note system and put it in that room speakers in the corners - strip away all the room treatments (although there does not appear to be too many so keep them - either way really) and hear the results. It looks like a good room for an AN system.

Constantine Soo had Apogee Duetta Sig II (Stereophile liked these the best for sound quality) and he likes the AN speakers considerably more. So there is always a chance. It will certainly have a lot more drive and dynamics and feeling to the pressure of instruments and only needs ~10 watts - would save space and money on the amps too.

Indeed his room is probably a better size than the room shown here. http://www.audionote.co.uk/articles/reviews/PDF_HT05_Audio_Note_engl.pdf

Also, if RGA's "AN" drumbeat is bothersome then I would suggest the Trenner and Freidl RA box with Einstein amplifiers and Zanden or EMM Labs as CD source. The RA box is slightly more position friendly but can also be corner loaded. Though it has less of an electrostatic sount than the AN E and more of a horn "thwack" sound which does add to the sense of scale.

Incedentally - Audio Note SET amps (and probably all SET amps) can drive any impedance including a dead short. In other words you can put a screwdriver across the speaker output terminals and run the amp 24/7. In other words they can drive "any" load. Any amplifier that has a protection circuit of any kind can't - that's why they need a protection circuit.

Florian
05-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Hello RGA,

thank you for your suggestion and nice comments.

Have a wonderful week

Florian

JoeE SP9
05-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Some good some bad. You're getting the Grand's restored, good. You're using Stage's in the interim, bad. Wait a minute, Stages and subs should sound pretty good. Could you call it good, good now and very very good after restoration and new room?