hi-end cleaning system? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : hi-end cleaning system?

AVMASTER
05-20-2011, 10:30 AM
my client just spent 15K on a small 2 channel set-up; one of my installers mentioned that he needed a
$1300.00 LP cleaning system but I'm thinking that if his collection is that badly damaged then no cleaning
system will help. Am I wrong in assuming that if it's just a few scratches, he could get away with solution and some special cloth?

JoeE SP9
05-20-2011, 04:10 PM
A record cleaning machine can't correct scratches. It can and will clean clean any and all foreign substances that may be on an LP. In my experience using a vacuum type cleaner can make an unlistenable LP sound very good. I use a Record Doctor manual cleaner. You manually scrub the record and rotate it by hand so the (built in) vacuum can suck the dirt and cleaning fluid off. The Record Doctor is a Nitty Gritty clone that's no longer being made. I paid around $150 more than ten years ago for mine.

KAB Electro Acoustics ( http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/) sells new Nitty Gritty RCM's starting around $360. They also sell an inexpensive KAB branded one that uses your own vacuum cleaner for around $150. Adiogon currently has several VPI RCM's costing between $425 and $700 depending on the model.
If a cleaning machine with a vacuum is not a must their are several other devices that do an excellent job. Among them are the Spin Clean and the Gem Dandy. I have a Gem Dandy and it works very well. The Spin Clean has several threads devoted to it at Audio Karma. The general consensus seems to be that it works very well.
Of course some home brew cleaning solution and a collection of micro fiber wipes can work just as well. You just have to place the LP's in a drying rack. For really dirty records there is a method that uses Elmers white glue.
You can spend $1300 for a Loricraft or equivalent but it's really not necessary. It's a matter of choice.

Mr Peabody
05-20-2011, 07:27 PM
I bought a VPI 16.5 cleaning machine years ago, it does a great job. A cleaning machine helps clean deep into the grooves and the vacuum sucks the solution with the dirt off the surface. If the LP has scratches though nothing will help that. It's good to have a cleaning method that allows you to clean an LP while not being on your turntable. The table motor, nor belt, need the extra stress.

02audionoob
05-20-2011, 07:55 PM
I think it depends largely on the records. I was once given a collection of a few hundred albums that were in spotless condition. A record cleaning machine would have been pointless for the owner of that collection. An occasional light wipe would be all that was necessary. I, on the other hand, buy most of my records from used-books stores. They're usually in need of a good cleaning, so I clean them all.

Mr Peabody
05-20-2011, 08:28 PM
I think it depends largely on the records. I was once given a collection of a few hundred albums that were in spotless condition. A record cleaning machine would have been pointless for the owner of that collection. An occasional light wipe would be all that was necessary. I, on the other hand, buy most of my records from used-books stores. They're usually in need of a good cleaning, so I clean them all.

Maybe that owner had a record cleaning machine, LOL

I've always heard it was good to clean even new LP's as there could be debry from the cutting process. I only clean an LP once with the machine and use a carbon fiber brush to keep the dust off after that. Like you I get a lot of my LP's used. Years ago I didn't clean my LP's much but I took good care of them so as I go back and pull one occasionally I will put it on the machine. As a teen I didn't know much about cleaning but luckily I was a neat freak and didn't leave them out.

02audionoob
05-20-2011, 08:45 PM
Maybe that owner had a record cleaning machine, LOL

I've always heard it was good to clean even new LP's as there could be debry from the cutting process. I only clean an LP once with the machine and use a carbon fiber brush to keep the dust off after that. Like you I get a lot of my LP's used. Years ago I didn't clean my LP's much but I took good care of them so as I go back and pull one occasionally I will put it on the machine. As a teen I didn't know much about cleaning but luckily I was a neat freak and didn't leave them out.

The previous owner is meticulous and very careful with his things, as he was with those records. He was opposed to the idea of vacuuming records, but he never needed to. Most of these records are classical, which is the genre that is the cleanest in the used stores. Sometimes when I buy a classical record in near-mint condition I don't clean it.

I too have heard it's good to clean new LPs, so if I hear any surface noise I do it. I totally agree with cleaning a record only once, which would then mean I think a machine is beneficial more to people with large collections, as opposed to people who simply play records often.

E-Stat
05-21-2011, 06:32 AM
Am I wrong in assuming that if it's just a few scratches, he could get away with solution and some special cloth?
Yes, you are mistaken. A dedicated RCM can promote better vinyl "health" through keeping the record truly clean. Dragging dust and grit through the grooves eventually will take its toll. Wiping a disk with a cloth isn't nearly as effective as using a goodly amount of cleaning solution to catch the dirt with a powerful vacuum removing it all. I've used a VPI machine for thirty years and have some records that old that remain pristine.

rw

AVMASTER
05-21-2011, 12:33 PM
thank you all, as you can probably tell I'm not a "vinyl" kinda guy and actually neither is my client! He purchased the Transrotor Leonardo 25/25/60 mainly for the way it looks, however I will get him some form of vacuum based cleaning machine; It can't hurt and he can definitely afford it!
Thanks again!

AVMASTER
05-21-2011, 12:39 PM
thank you all, as you can probably tell I'm not a "vinyl" kinda guy and actually neither is my client! He purchased the Transrotor Leonardo 25/25/60 mainly for the way it looks, however I will get him some form of vacuum based cleaning machine; It can't hurt and he can definitely afford it!
Thanks again!