DVR Tuner question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVR Tuner question

mvhetes
05-20-2011, 09:41 AM
I'm a bit confused about video tuners and how the manufacturers describe them when it comes to DVRs. Since cable is the current option one assumes that QAM is the required tuner format, yet the spec given in the manual isn't very helpful. Any guidance on this issue wpould be appreciated.

As an example, I recently perused the manuals for two Magnavox DVRs available at Amazon, the H2160MW9 and the MDR515H. A screen shot pdf from the MDR515H manual is attached to this post. The line at the bottom is what confounds me. How does that spec translate into real-world channel lineups?

eisforelectronic
05-21-2011, 01:18 AM
It translates any way the cable company wants it to.

mvhetes
05-21-2011, 06:24 AM
My question wasn't intended to imply where, say, CNN might be, but how the alpha system they list in the manual (W+1 - W+94) would equate to the numeric we would punch in using our remotes. For example, would W+1 be the equivalent of Channel 101?

Any references appreciated.

markw
05-21-2011, 03:16 PM
My question wasn't intended to imply where, say, CNN might be, but how the alpha system they list in the manual (W+1 - W+94) would equate to the numeric we would punch in using our remotes. For example, would W+1 be the equivalent of Channel 101?

Any references appreciated.As the other poster said, there is no "standard" to which number you see can be applied to any cable channels.

Here's a snippet from one link when I googled "cable tv channels numbers" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_cable_television_frequencies): "Since there is no requirement that any specific convention be used to number digital or virtual channels, numbering is at the discretion of the cable operator. Digital cable channels are often numbered starting at 100 or 200, but these are virtual channel numbers and do not correspond to used frequencies."

You might want to try googling that, or something similar until you find a definitive answer. You might be surprised at what you dig up.

And, considering that many digital cable providers force you to use their hardware to begin with, you might want to explore further with your local provider.

pixelthis
05-22-2011, 11:28 AM
YOU need to use a cable box from your cable provider.
BACK in the day you could get away with a nonstandard
box, but those days are gone.
A DVR (or even a non dvr) cable box is basically a computer,
usually networked into the cable system.
It talks to them constantly, and is updated on a regular basis.
THEY MIGHT be able to talk to a nonstandard box, but why go
to all of that trouble? To save a five or ten buck rental fee?
To use a "hacked" box to see scrambled content for free?(five
years in jail, btw)?
TRUST me, it isn't worth the trouble.:1:

pixelthis
05-22-2011, 12:30 PM
To use a "hacked" box to see scrambled content for free?(five
years in jail, btw)?
TRUST me, it isn't worth the trouble.:1:

mvhetes
05-24-2011, 08:24 AM

Well, if I could save $60 - 120/year in rental fees . . . YEAH! If a DVR will be able to do the job that my VCRs used to do for many years, then it will be money well invested.

Basically, what I'm really concerned about is that whatever DVR is purchased will not be able to receive AT ALL.