Upgraded power cables [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded power cables

cyto
05-19-2011, 04:09 AM
Does upgrading the power cables, like what they sell at Audio Advisor, make a difference to an average or low end system?

In other words, would I be likely to notice a difference?

Thanks

Pat D
05-19-2011, 04:32 AM
Does upgrading the power cables, like what they sell at Audio Advisor, make a difference to an average or low end system?

Thanks

Well, here's what Kurt Denke of Blue Jeans Cable says:

"At our company, Blue Jeans Cable (http://www.bluejeanscable.com/), we don't sell power cords, and apart from the possibility that one of these days we may sell some short-length IEC cords for people who like to have tidy rack installations, it's not likely that we ever will."

http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/power-cables

Feanor
05-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Well, here's what Kurt Denke of Blue Jeans Cable says:

"At our company, Blue Jeans Cable (http://www.bluejeanscable.com/), we don't sell power cords, and apart from the possibility that one of these days we may sell some short-length IEC cords for people who like to have tidy rack installations, it's not likely that we ever will."

http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/power-cables
Hi, Pat. Nice to hear from you. Good reference for our OP; you ought to post more often.

Personally I've never heard any difference swapping power cords, but then maybe I'm just lucky with my electrical service, etc..

E-Stat
05-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Probably not. On a more powerful and/or higher resolution system, however, I do find audible differences. I would recommend that you use an inexpensive power conditioner for sources. The usual canard is that the incoming power line is *clean enough* and doesn't need fixing. Which completely misses the point. The villains which create noise live in your house. Anything with a switching power supply throws garbage back into the AC. Cable boxes, cordless phones, routers, Wi-Fi access points, DVD/BR players, even computerized appliances are causes. It is that noise you are combating, not some issue with the local power grid.

rw

Florian
05-20-2011, 09:26 AM
I can recommend cables from Element Cables. Solid connectors and build quality. Affordable as well.

hifi-freak
05-20-2011, 03:24 PM
Upgrading cables could help, but its not a night/day difference.

What about a DIY power cord? :wink5:

Mr Peabody
05-20-2011, 08:11 PM
There have been many threads here on this topic, several members who have tried upgraded power cords have noticed an improvement. Your issue is at what level of gear, the only way to know for sure is to try one. I'd say if the unit has a detachable cord it could benefit. I say that because generally only better quality gear will have that feature. Several members seemed to have good luck with the Pangea cords.

My Bryston owner's manual actually says not to use any other cable than the one provided. They really don't say why. When I tried an aftermarket power cable for myself, not on the Bryston, I noticed such an improvement I went out the next day and bought enough to replace all of mine. The most noticeable improvement was on my CD player and phono stage. The improvement I heard was very real, at the time the cable was given to me to try I was convinced nothing would happen but the result is what changed my mind.

cyto
05-21-2011, 03:30 AM
As always, when I post a "newbie" question you guys give me a wealth of information.

LeRoy
05-21-2011, 06:46 AM

Thanks

Upgrading the power cord can make a difference but I suppose it depends on what different outcome your trying to achieve.

I changed out the stock power cords on all of my gear. For my Rega Brio 3 and Belles Soloist I use the Pangea AC-9 (which I did purchase from A.A.). For the rest of my gear I use Wire World Aurora 5 2's and Pangea AC-14SE.

The above combination resulted in more bass depth, more natural sounding mids, and better upper detail. This to me was a major improvement over the stock cables. Also, the Pangea power cords add a darker more silent background.

While I have heard other power cords on other systems and with clearly audible better results they were really, really, pricy. So, for not so much $$ the Pangea and WW used together in my systems really do it for me.

Atomic Adam was doing a review on several power cords and I know he is going to continue his review and post the finding so stay tuned....

LeRoy

tom1967
05-22-2011, 08:00 AM
Unless the original is damaged, I cannot see where it would make a diffference....If it does make a difference on a given component, I would not buy that brand, since they would have clearly demonstrated their negligence in not providing a suitable cord, which is unforgiveable for such a basic item.....and if the original power cord disturbs you, dont look inside the case of your amp....you will see all those skinny little cheap wires that look like those in a 1960s transistor radio, and be compelled to replace them also since they carry current and signals..

Mr Peabody
05-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Think of it like tires for a car, are you not going to buy the same brand because the factory provided tires are not the same performance as Michelin or Perelli? In the same way those brands of tires could be overkill for certain models, an upgraded power cord may or may not be a benefit to a certain unit. I don't want to convince any one of any certainty but I'd like to convince those interested to try for themselves. There's never any agreement on any cable as to whether upgrades do anything. It's always better to try for yourself to see if you can improve on what you have and to know which camp you fall into with knowing you had hands on experience. It's a mystery to me why the upgraded power cords work but in my situation they definitely did provide improved performance in sound quality.