Pioneer Elite RPTV problem solved. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer Elite RPTV problem solved.

Happy Camper
05-18-2011, 05:40 PM
I have a ten year old PRO 710 HD set that had been going out for the past year. While watching, the pic and sound would go out. In the beginning, I could bump the set and it would come back on. Eventually, it would not respond. I got on line and found out that this series had poor solder joints on their power boards.

I pulled out the board and resoldered every joint. I am good to go now and saved a few grand by continuing use of a quality set. If you don't mind trying, some repairs are only intimidating until you try it. :thumbsup:

TheHills44060
05-23-2011, 05:29 PM
Job well done HC. You must have been unbelievably relieved at the end.

pixelthis
05-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Good job, but you'd be better off upgrading and giving this set to a
homeless person to sleep in, IMHO.:1:

Happy Camper
05-28-2011, 06:12 PM
No, no, no. This set is still impressive compared to the flat panels. Better color, blacks and grayscale. The new ones are spectacular in the show room but are bright and fatiguing after a while. The one thing that's a drawback is 1080i vs p but 720 p don't look too bad for sports. The replacement cost of $3500 would have been tough leather to chew, glad I didn't have to give it up (yet:devil:). We did swap out our couches with home entertainment chairs though. Soooooo much better on the back:sleep:.

pixelthis
05-29-2011, 09:26 AM
No, no, no. This set is still impressive compared to the flat panels. Better color, blacks and grayscale. The new ones are spectacular in the show room but are bright and fatiguing after a while. The one thing that's a drawback is 1080i vs p but 720 p don't look too bad for sports. The replacement cost of $3500 would have been tough leather to chew, glad I didn't have to give it up (yet:devil:). We did swap out our couches with home entertainment chairs though. Soooooo much better on the back:sleep:.

Well, good luck with that ace, but RPTV tubes are driven much harder than direct view CRTS, the fact that they have lasted so long is a miracle, but I BET THEY ARE QUITE DIM.
Its called viewer acclimation, you gradually get used to a gradually
dimmer and dimmer pic.
With a 55" panel selling for less than 1400 (for a decent one)
your sets days are numbered, because you are looking at not one, but three replacement tubes, if you can find them.
But don't fret, after looking at 1080p for awhile the tears shed for your big screen homeless condo will be few, especially when
you free up enough floor space for another bedroom.:1:

Happy Camper
05-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Works til I'm ready to get a new set. That will be when the gimmicks and technology finds some stability. Right now, buying a tv is like a computer, obsolete by the time you get it home.

pixelthis
05-30-2011, 04:31 PM
Works til I'm ready to get a new set. That will be when the gimmicks and technology finds some stability. Right now, buying a tv is like a computer, obsolete by the time you get it home.

ACTUALLY the opposite is true.
A TV with an ATSC tuner is not going to be obsolete for years, decades even. 1080p is pushing the limits of display tech,
don't have to worry about 2,000p for another decade or so.
A DECENT led lcd will last probably longer than you will.
AS A matter of fact, if you wanted a monitor that will last the
ages now is the time to buy. Any set you buy will be non obsolete,non out of date for a very long time, at least until the robots take over.
AS A matter fact I WOULD start shopping, as your current set will
not last until you're "ready for a new one".
Any set that old is working by the good grace of probability,
every time you turn it on is a crapshoot, FYI.:1:

Woochifer
05-31-2011, 11:51 AM

Most of the standards for HDTV are pretty well set right now, so you don't need to worry about obsolescence in the near future. But, if you're getting the viewing enjoyment you want out of your current TV, and it works with all of your HD sources, then there's no need to upgrade right now.

Like so many things with consumer electronics, whatever TV you buy right now, there will likely be a more fully featured and higher performing version selling for less money next year. For example, with 3D, you could've paid ~$300 more to get that feature last year, you could pay ~$100 to $200 more right now, or you could wait until next year and likely get the 3D feature for little to no added cost. Or even in my case, when I got my HDTV about 2 1/2 years ago, it cost $1,400. The current version of that TV, which performs better than mine, now sells for about $800.

So, if you're happy with what you have, be happy. When you're ready to upgrade, you'll pay less for something better later.

Happy Camper
05-31-2011, 07:35 PM
I found a place that re-builds the tubes. So the question is whether or not to get the tubes done ($250 each) and ISF cal'ed or pay over twice as much for the Panasonic 65" 3-D plasma. Getting only two sets of glasses is squeezing the consumer. I'd prefer to see what the non-glasses screens will present. I think 3-D has a place but like when hi def first came out, they have to figure out how to use it. Right now it's just an animation enhancer (Ironman 2 didn't impress) caveat: not seen much content. Sports would be great when they can get the camera angles properly positioned. Remember the first years of HD was upconverted SD. The real HD shows were cooking shows, bug closeups & other crappola.

Wooch- that is exactly why I'm in no rush to chase the latest/greatest. This system was set up for 1080i. Is it worthwhile to replace a TV, disc spinner, sat. box, etc. for the difference (right now)? I do not like LCD (have one) and plasma can be fragile. If the re-tube/cal(s) gets me to 4k p OLED (or whatever) by then, I'll be blind and won't appreciate it. Maybe the baby boomer death camps will have a nice set.

In my years of being an A/V fan, I've had to buy vinyl, VHS, LD, CD, DVD, Blu-Ray, Hi Rez. audio..... Time to give consumer electronics (read my disposable income) a break. I'm not going to continue to pay inflated prices for the same material to be shown on purposely obsoleted technologies.

There is one influence that may have a higher impact on this decision......mama.

Woochifer
05-31-2011, 10:04 PM
I found a place that re-builds the tubes. So the question is whether or not to get the tubes done ($250 each) and ISF cal'ed or pay over twice as much for the Panasonic 65" 3-D plasma. Getting only two sets of glasses is squeezing the consumer. I'd prefer to see what the non-glasses screens will present. I think 3-D has a place but like when hi def first came out, they have to figure out how to use it. Right now it's just an animation enhancer (Ironman 2 didn't impress) caveat: not seen much content. Sports would be great when they can get the camera angles properly positioned. Remember the first years of HD was upconverted SD. The real HD shows were cooking shows, bug closeups & other crappola.

That's only an issue if your tubes are at a point where they can no longer deliver a picture within reference specs. Otherwise, all you have to do is sit back and watch the price on the 3D Panny continue to tumble.

The main advantage of CRTs is that they are not fixed pixel grids and rescale much better than LCD and plasma sets. But, in your situation you also have a TV that cannot natively display 1080p, and at 65" you're well into the range where the upgrade in resolution is visible (generally, I think ~46" is where the advantages of 1080p are less visible).

With 3D, I think the glasses-based sets will reach price parity with the 2D sets within the next year or two. (For one thing, the glasses will still cost extra, so that will make up for some of the eroded profit margins) At that point, the only 3D sets you'll pay extra for will be the glasses-free models, and I have my reservations about those sets because we don't know yet how the optics will affect 2D viewing. Right now, with glasses-based 3D, the feature has no impact whatsoever on regular 2D viewing.

Wooch- that is exactly why I'm in no rush to chase the latest/greatest. This system was set up for 1080i. Is it worthwhile to replace a TV, disc spinner, sat. box, etc. for the difference (right now)? I do not like LCD (have one) and plasma can be fragile. If the re-tube/cal(s) gets me to 4k p OLED (or whatever) by then, I'll be blind and won't appreciate it. Maybe the baby boomer death camps will have a nice set.

In my years of being an A/V fan, I've had to buy vinyl, VHS, LD, CD, DVD, Blu-Ray, Hi Rez. audio..... Time to give consumer electronics (read my disposable income) a break. I'm not going to continue to pay inflated prices for the same material to be shown on purposely obsoleted technologies.

There is one influence that may have a higher impact on this decision......mama.

And that's exactly why if you're content with your current setup, it's fine to wait it out, and when you're ready, a better set will be out there that costs less than what you would pay right now.

pixelthis
06-01-2011, 12:49 PM
That's only an issue if your tubes are at a point where they can no longer deliver a picture within reference specs. Otherwise, all you have to do is sit back and watch the price on the 3D Panny continue to tumble.

The main advantage of CRTs is that they are not fixed pixel grids and rescale much better than LCD and plasma sets. But, in your situation you also have a TV that cannot natively display 1080p, and at 65" you're well into the range where the upgrade in resolution is visible (generally, I think ~46" is where the advantages of 1080p are less visible).

With 3D, I think the glasses-based sets will reach price parity with the 2D sets within the next year or two. (For one thing, the glasses will still cost extra, so that will make up for some of the eroded profit margins) At that point, the only 3D sets you'll pay extra for will be the glasses-free models, and I have my reservations about those sets because we don't know yet how the optics will affect 2D viewing. Right now, with glasses-based 3D, the feature has no impact whatsoever on regular 2D viewing.

And that's exactly why if you're content with your current setup, it's fine to wait it out, and when you're ready, a better set will be out there that costs less than what you would pay right now.

No ten year old CRT will meet "performance" specs.
THE ONLY reason this set is watchable is that the owner is used to it, witness the statement that current TV is too "bright".
THE ONLY reason not to upgrade now is financial, all of
the codecs and standards are pretty much set.
I CAN TELL you when the owner will get rid of this set, and thats when one of the tubes dies, which will be in the next one to five
years, because all three tubes will need replacing, at a cost of
hundreds , maybe thousands, of dollars.
IN THE AGE of the sub 1400$ 55" flat screen, that would be insane. SO YOU CAN measure the life of this set in years,
most likely months, maybe even weeks.:1:

Woochifer
06-02-2011, 03:59 PM
No ten year old CRT will meet "performance" specs.

Right, and you know the "performance" specs of every ten-year old CRT in existence? :rolleyes:

THE ONLY reason this set is watchable is that the owner is used to it, witness the statement that current TV is too "bright".

And the default settings for nearly every TV I've ever tried is brighter than the reference standard. How do I know this? I use a calibration disc to verify, and the reference level is what my eyes are acclimated to.

If anything, Happy Camper knows a lot more about what's watchable, given that most unadjusted TVs ARE too bright and fatiguing over long viewing periods. If an owner is "used to" a calibrated picture, why would they want to go with something that they already regard as bright and fatiguing?

I CAN TELL you when the owner will get rid of this set, and thats when one of the tubes dies, which will be in the next one to five
years, because all three tubes will need replacing, at a cost of
hundreds , maybe thousands, of dollars.

Read his post before launching into yet another uninformed tirade.

And if his TV dies in one to five years, he'll be able to choose a better TV that costs less than what he would buy right now. Bottomline is that he fixed his own TV at no cost to himself, and he has clearly stated that he does not need or want a new TV right now. What's wrong with continuing to enjoy what he already enjoys?

IN THE AGE of the sub 1400$ 55" flat screen, that would be insane. SO YOU CAN measure the life of this set in years,
most likely months, maybe even weeks.:1:

Given how many TVs you've bought and kicked to the curb over the years, you're hardly an authority for talking about longevity. Again, read HC's post. He already owns a LCD TV, and prefers the Pioneer. Why should he buy a new TV right now, if even your doomsday predictions indicate that it might last "years" longer?

pixelthis
06-03-2011, 12:17 PM
[QUOTE=Woochifer;361742]Right, and you know the "performance" specs of every ten-year old CRT in existence? :rolleyes:

Didn't say I DID.
On sets theres this little thing called a brightness control.
AS crt's age they get dimmer as the phospers are used up,
and as the set gets dimmer you adjust the brightness, when you can't adjust the brightness anymore, time for new tubes.
No CRT with any age on it can meet the specs for a brand new tube. A ten year old tube is getting near the end of its life,
especially one used in an RPTV, because those are driven harder
than direct view

And the default settings for nearly every TV I've ever tried is brighter than the reference standard. How do I know this? I use a calibration disc to verify, and the reference level is what my eyes are acclimated to.

And this matters how?
THE OLDER A TUBE GETS, the more you will have to adjust
the controls up to compensate, its all relative.

If anything, Happy Camper knows a lot more about what's watchable, given that most unadjusted TVs ARE too bright and fatiguing over long viewing periods. If an owner is "used to" a calibrated picture, why would they want to go with something that they already regard as bright and fatiguing?

Because its kind of embarrassing to have guests over and they can't see your TV.
PEOPLE are adaptive and get used to things. I have seen sets that are barely watchable, and the owners were complaining abouit something else!

Read his post before launching into yet another uninformed tirade.

Nothing in his post changes the fact that his RPTV is in its last days. CAN'T CHANGE THE LAW OF ENTROPHY

And if his TV dies in one to five years, he'll be able to choose a better TV that costs less than what he would buy right now. Bottomline is that he fixed his own TV at no cost to himself, and he has clearly stated that he does not need or want a new TV right now. What's wrong with continuing to enjoy what he already enjoys?

nothing, but if he keeps monkeying around with power circuits
he won't be enjoying anything. THE DRIVING voltage for CRT is around 30,000 volts, and while the amps are low thats still
enough to knock you on your a***.
Think its worth risking your life for a TV with almost zero dollar value? AND YOU DYING would be easy compared to it catching
fire and taking your family out with it in a fire, etc, and you
surviving. WHAT FUN!!!

Given how many TVs you've bought and kicked to the curb over the years, you're hardly an authority for talking about longevity. Again, read HC's post. He already owns a LCD TV, and prefers the Pioneer. Why should he buy a new TV right now, if even your doomsday predictions indicate that it might last "years" longer?
he doesn't have to buy "anything", but he won't be watching
that ten year old set much longer, just stating fact.
And if hes not carefull with those power boards he won't be doing much of anything .
People slay me with how much they get attached to inanimate
objects , most of which are next to worthless.
And FYI, I did trade sets for awhile, because I HAD RELATIVES THAT WANTED MINE.
Truth is it did't cost me much, so I took advantage.
But of course its "bad" for me to take advantage of a situation
to get new sets often, but perfectly ok for a civilian to play around
with power boards in an old, unpredictable TV set.
MAKES about as much sense as anything else you said.:1:

Woochifer
06-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Didn't say I DID.

Actually, you did when you stated that no 10-year old CRT can meet "performance" specs. It's all too easy to disprove that, given how many CRTs can be calibrated to within the reference specs, even after 10 years.

On sets theres this little thing called a brightness control.
AS crt's age they get dimmer as the phospers are used up,
and as the set gets dimmer you adjust the brightness, when you can't adjust the brightness anymore, time for new tubes.
No CRT with any age on it can meet the specs for a brand new tube. A ten year old tube is getting near the end of its life,
especially one used in an RPTV, because those are driven harder
than direct view

In the 12 years that I had my last CRT TV, I only made one minor adjustment to the brightness the entire time. And the calibrated brightness setting still required less than 50% output all the way until we sold that TV after acquiring the HDTV. It had many years left precisely because I calibrated it and rechecked the output every year.

And this matters how?
THE OLDER A TUBE GETS, the more you will have to adjust
the controls up to compensate, its all relative.

And like I said, I verified the settings on my TV every year, and made only one minor adjustment in the 12 years that we had it.

Because its kind of embarrassing to have guests over and they can't see your TV.

Since when is a calibrated reference level "embarrassing" or something that you "can't see"? I've had plenty of guests over, and the first thing they note is how much better everything looks on my TV. I simply tell them, put their TV in Cinema/Movie mode, bump down the brightness and the sharpness, and it will very likely look much better.

PEOPLE are adaptive and get used to things. I have seen sets that are barely watchable, and the owners were complaining abouit something else!

And what's your point? HC and I both calibrate our sets to reference levels. That's what we're used to. A set that has the brightness cranked up to torch mode is what I would regard as "barely watchable."

Nothing in his post changes the fact that his RPTV is in its last days. CAN'T CHANGE THE LAW OF ENTROPHY

Last days? You even admitted that it might be years before his set finally konks out. :lol:

nothing, but if he keeps monkeying around with power circuits
he won't be enjoying anything. THE DRIVING voltage for CRT is around 30,000 volts, and while the amps are low thats still
enough to knock you on your a***.
Think its worth risking your life for a TV with almost zero dollar value?

Maybe you don't know this, but most people unplug the TV first before working on it. After the anode is discharged, there's no safety risk whatsoever.

AND YOU DYING would be easy compared to it catching
fire and taking your family out with it in a fire, etc, and you
surviving. WHAT FUN!!!

Don't get out much, do you?

he doesn't have to buy "anything", but he won't be watching
that ten year old set much longer, just stating fact.

You don't know that for fact, given that you have zero idea of how much service life is left on that TV.

And if hes not carefull with those power boards he won't be doing much of anything .

Judging from his results, he's doing just fine.

People slay me with how much they get attached to inanimate
objects , most of which are next to worthless.
And FYI, I did trade sets for awhile, because I HAD RELATIVES THAT WANTED MINE.
Truth is it did't cost me much, so I took advantage.
But of course its "bad" for me to take advantage of a situation
to get new sets often, but perfectly ok for a civilian to play around
with power boards in an old, unpredictable TV set.
MAKES about as much sense as anything else you said.:1:

Like I said, you're hardly an authority on longevity given how many TVs have churned through your living room just in the time you've been on this board. People don't get "attached to inanimate objects" -- they just don't see a practical need to constantly buy new stuff when what they already have works perfectly fine. Constantly trying to convince people that their perfectly functional gear is in imminent need of replacement, is what makes no sense.

pixelthis
06-06-2011, 03:32 PM
Actually, you did when you stated that no 10-year old CRT can meet "performance" specs. It's all too easy to disprove that, given how many CRTs can be calibrated to within the reference specs, even after 10 years.

Actually, they can't, and I CAN'T BELIEVE that such an intelligent person as yourself would say something so stupid.
I HAVE been in circumstances where it was impossible to do
anything with a five year old CRT, much less a ten year old one.
WHAT, do you think a little phosper fairy is going to come by in the middle of the night and replate the face of the CRT with
fresh material? Do you think , after ten years of 30,000 volts, that
a new electron gun is going to mysteriously grow?
A ten year old CRT HAS pretty much had it, there have been cases of CRT's lasting fifteen years, but those were direct view, not the more abused RPTV version, indeed, the fact that these tubes still work at all is a flippin miracle. And that picture cant be too good.

[QUOTE]In the 12 years that I had my last CRT TV, I only made one minor adjustment to the brightness the entire time. And the calibrated brightness setting still required less than 50% output all the way until we sold that TV after acquiring the HDTV. It had many years left precisely because I calibrated it and rechecked the output every year.

And you are the typical user. yeah, right.
IT WAS A SCANDAL, but manufacturers sold CRT sets from the factory with the picture set to "nova" mode( the contrast all the way up) in order to produce a brighter pic, and most ran them that way. NOW TELL THE TRUTH, first thing you did with your set was turn that down. BUT MOST DIDN'T, and your case is atypical.:1:

And like I said, I verified the settings on my TV every year, and made only one minor adjustment in the 12 years that we had it.

And every user did this. I DID THE SAME AS YOU, you, me,
and a few thousand other people. MILLIONS ignored the settings
on their sets completely.

Since when is a calibrated reference level "embarrassing" or something that you "can't see"? I've had plenty of guests over, and the first thing they note is how much better everything looks on my TV. I simply tell them, put their TV in Cinema/Movie mode, bump down the brightness and the sharpness, and it will very likely look much better.

MY SET HAS a calibration program that improves the pic greatly.
But on a ten year old CRT RPTV set you will have to watch that one in a dark room. For that matter, same with a new one,
if its set right

And what's your point? HC and I both calibrate our sets to reference levels. That's what we're used to. A set that has the brightness cranked up to torch mode is what I would regard as "barely watchable."

And thats how most kept their CRT sets, thats the way they came from the factory, most preferred them that way. I AM TALKING
about the average TV viewer, not the average HT freak

Last days? You even admitted that it might be years before his set finally konks out. :lol:

Thats the optimistic view, but if it lasts another year it will be a miracle.
AND IF THE OWNER KEEPS MESSING WITH POWER BOARDS, he might "konk" out before long.

Maybe you don't know this, but most people unplug the TV first before working on it. After the anode is discharged, there's no safety risk whatsoever.

THE CHARGE in some capacitors can last for quite a long time,
and some carry the power to stop a human heart.
BUT even if you discharge everything, don't do everything right,
its the fourth of july when you flip the switch.
IS A TEN YEAR OLD TV really worth messing around with 30,000
volt circuits?

Don't get out much, do you?

Not as much as I USED TO, used to work in an ER, and the regret you feel for doing something irreversible is not worth a ten year old TV

You don't know that for fact, given that you have zero idea of how much service life is left on that TV.

YOU CAN PUT IT IN THE BANK, especially since the OP has fixed the power supply(supposedly) changing every aspect
of the circuit environment that those tubes are used to.
As a matter of fact, there is an even better chance of those tubes failing now than before.
It has been observed that if you fix something, something else usually fails in the next six months to a year. AND WE ARE TALKING ABOUT TEN YEAR OLD GEAR, ten year old gear
that has 30,000 volts going through it.
Its a wonder those tubes are still working.

Judging from his results, he's doing just fine.

SAID the airline industry on sept 10, 2001.

Like I said, you're hardly an authority on longevity given how many TVs have churned through your living room just in the time you've been on this board. People don't get "attached to inanimate objects" -- they just don't see a practical need to constantly buy new stuff when what they already have works perfectly fine. Constantly trying to convince people that their perfectly functional gear is in imminent need of replacement, is what makes no sense.

WHAT makes no "sense" is messing around with the high voltage
of a ten year old monstrosity that was obsolete years ago, risking your life for, what? A FUTURE HOMELESS CONDO?
As for my situation, it was a rare opportunity to get a new set every few years, are you jealous?
BUT IF IT WILL sooth your delicate sensibilities it was atypical for me. HOWEVER, I have always gotten top dollar for my gear,
people know my taste, and it has never cost more than a few hundred bucks to trade, and I DO LIKE THE LATEST TOYS.
It might not make much sense to you to have the latest toys,
I GUESS YOU DON'T GET OUT OFTEN.:1:

Woochifer
06-07-2011, 06:33 AM
Actually, they can't, and I CAN'T BELIEVE that such an intelligent person as yourself would say something so stupid.
I HAVE been in circumstances where it was impossible to do
anything with a five year old CRT, much less a ten year old one.
WHAT, do you think a little phosper fairy is going to come by in the middle of the night and replate the face of the CRT with
fresh material? Do you think , after ten years of 30,000 volts, that
a new electron gun is going to mysteriously grow?
A ten year old CRT HAS pretty much had it, there have been cases of CRT's lasting fifteen years, but those were direct view, not the more abused RPTV version, indeed, the fact that these tubes still work at all is a flippin miracle. And that picture cant be too good.

Once again taking a single anecdote and presuming that it must apply to everyone. Like I said, if my old CRT only required one minor adjustment in the 12 years that I used it, your point is moot.

And you are the typical user. yeah, right.
IT WAS A SCANDAL, but manufacturers sold CRT sets from the factory with the picture set to "nova" mode( the contrast all the way up) in order to produce a brighter pic, and most ran them that way. NOW TELL THE TRUTH, first thing you did with your set was turn that down. BUT MOST DIDN'T, and your case is atypical.:1:

Right, a scandal. :out: Keep looking out the window, those black helicopters might actually appear one of these days.

And every user did this. I DID THE SAME AS YOU, you, me,
and a few thousand other people. MILLIONS ignored the settings
on their sets completely.

You've never done a real calibration on any of your TVs, as your past posts indicate that you don't use a calibration disc or any measurement device that assures uniform results. And who the hell cares about what you think "millions" of people have done? HC does calibrate his TV, and since this thread is about his TV, why the hell does your imaginary presumptions matter?

MY SET HAS a calibration program that improves the pic greatly.
But on a ten year old CRT RPTV set you will have to watch that one in a dark room. For that matter, same with a new one,
if its set right

BS. I used a 12-year old CRT in a normal room, and it met calibrated reference levels with plenty of room to spare on the brightness scale.

And thats how most kept their CRT sets, thats the way they came from the factory, most preferred them that way. I AM TALKING
about the average TV viewer, not the average HT freak

And since HC calibrates his TV, why are you bringing this up, other than to further a failed argument?

THE CHARGE in some capacitors can last for quite a long time,
and some carry the power to stop a human heart.
BUT even if you discharge everything, don't do everything right,
its the fourth of july when you flip the switch.
IS A TEN YEAR OLD TV really worth messing around with 30,000
volt circuits?

Again, all of your faux paranoia doesn't matter one iota if the TV is unplugged and the anode is discharged.

YOU CAN PUT IT IN THE BANK, especially since the OP has fixed the power supply(supposedly) changing every aspect
of the circuit environment that those tubes are used to.
As a matter of fact, there is an even better chance of those tubes failing now than before.
It has been observed that if you fix something, something else usually fails in the next six months to a year. AND WE ARE TALKING ABOUT TEN YEAR OLD GEAR, ten year old gear
that has 30,000 volts going through it.
Its a wonder those tubes are still working.

In other words, you know absolutely nothing about HC's TV.

SAID the airline industry on sept 10, 2001.

:out:

WHAT makes no "sense" is messing around with the high voltage
of a ten year old monstrosity that was obsolete years ago, risking your life for, what? A FUTURE HOMELESS CONDO?
As for my situation, it was a rare opportunity to get a new set every few years, are you jealous?

Why would I be jealous? I'm perfectly happy with what I own and use. Unlike you, I don't go grabbing at every bargain that comes along. I'd rather enjoy what I have until I'm actually ready to upgrade. Ever heard of depreciation and due diligence? Obviously not.

BUT IF IT WILL sooth your delicate sensibilities it was atypical for me. HOWEVER, I have always gotten top dollar for my gear,
people know my taste, and it has never cost more than a few hundred bucks to trade, and I DO LIKE THE LATEST TOYS.
It might not make much sense to you to have the latest toys,
I GUESS YOU DON'T GET OUT OFTEN.:1:

I probably get out a lot more than you do, since I'm not the one crying poverty all the time. And I'm not the one turning my living room into a revolving door for every cheap TV and Blu-ray player that gets marked down at Sam's Club.

Happy Camper
02-20-2012, 06:50 AM
Just as a follow up. The big box 710 did indeed follow the death throws as suggested. The picture got darker and darker. It has now been replaced and I am enjoying a new Panasonic 65" plasma. I paid a third the cost of that 710 and while the pic is a bit better, I wouldn't go so far as to claim absolute dominance. Still, I was able to get another year out of the old beast before the end.

And I tried to find a tube repair offering and they did not exist for the Pioneer. Sad because they were top quality for their time.

sideswiper
02-22-2012, 01:56 PM
Well i am still using my Pioneer Elite Pro 710 HD RPTV I clean the screen ,mirror and guns at least once a year by removing the screen, you do not want to remove the back on these sets as the mirror will fall out and get broke as it will also damage the guns and screen also. The picture quality is still great and i have not had any issues with the cold solder joints on the power supply.I will use this RPTV until it dies. I bet it will out live any fixed pixel as they are throw away tv's lucky if you get 5 years out of them.I also use a calibration disc(Monster ISF series) My black levels (brightness) is set a only 7 not bad for a 11 year old RPTV and the picture is great still after all these years,but it only gets used 4-6 hours a day.I also added a HD fury 3 to the Pioneer so i have 2 HDMI ports for the new blue rays etc.