Any one have a pair of Dayton Audio B652? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any one have a pair of Dayton Audio B652?

Hyfi
05-18-2011, 04:41 PM
I'm looking for a cheap pair of bookshelf speakers for my gym. Gonna drive them with my Hafler 9180.

Someone on Craigs List in my area is selling a pair of Baby Advents asking $60. Are they worth it since they are pretty old paper cones?

Or am I better off just getting a pair of Dayton Audio B652?

I would probably find a small used sub for them in the future.

Jimmy C
05-19-2011, 03:36 PM
...the BR1 kit from Parts Express. IIRC, it was $120 and I screwed it together myself. It was full-sounding (if a bit wooly) and fatigue-free.

I just saw the price on those...wow... $35?!?! One could almost say "ya can't go wrong", but I would worry about inexpensive (O.K... "cheap") metal tweeters.

I remember the Babies... won't offend anyone. Yeah, degredation might be an issue.

I would go for the Daytons.

Hyfi
05-20-2011, 02:58 AM
...the BR1 kit from Parts Express. IIRC, it was $120 and I screwed it together myself. It was full-sounding (if a bit wooly) and fatigue-free.

I just saw the price on those...wow... $35?!?! One could almost say "ya can't go wrong", but I would worry about inexpensive (O.K... "cheap") metal tweeters.

I remember the Babies... won't offend anyone. Yeah, degredation might be an issue.

I would go for the Daytons.

Thanks for the response. These will be used very little since I don't exercise as much as I should.

JoeE SP9
05-20-2011, 09:08 AM
I'm looking for a cheap pair of bookshelf speakers for my gym. Gonna drive them with my Hafler 9180.

Someone on Craigs List in my area is selling a pair of Baby Advents asking $60. Are they worth it since they are pretty old paper cones?

Or am I better off just getting a pair of Dayton Audio B652?

I would probably find a small used sub for them in the future.

I bought a pair of Baby Advents from an AK member in Pittsburgh last year. They were $50 including shipping. They're in my bedroom with an old passive sub. They're not too offensive.

markw
05-20-2011, 11:26 AM
I did a mini-review of those speakers here a few months ago when they were $30. Not bad for the $$ but these do cry out for some tweaking with the bass/treble controls. Not bad for surrounds or casual, non-critical mains use

I also have a pair of Baby Advents that wound up needing surrounds, which will set me back $60 + shipping. Between the two and all else being equal, I'd give the upper hand to the Advents, but that's why I tried the Daytons in the first place. $30 vs $60.

I'll still be sending out the woofers for surrounds one day, or dropping them off next time I'm in East Rochester.