Question for folks with Seperates. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Question for folks with Seperates.

Worf101
05-18-2011, 05:00 AM
I don't have the room(s) for a seperate 2 channel system, so my HT receiver has to do double duty. I know HT receivers have gotten better over the years, my 10 plus years of dealing with them has proven that. However what I'd like to know is how close are the top line HT receivers to decent mid-level seperates as far as 2 channel sound reproduction is concerned. My Onkyo 905 in pure audio mode sounds pretty damn good and on poor, older CD's the ability to tweak the frequency range of individual speakers have allowed me to get that sweet sound I like so much. And the 905 is about 3 generations old. Are HT receiver's continuing to close the gap?

Worf

Feanor
05-18-2011, 05:17 AM
I don't have the room(s) for a seperate 2 channel system, so my HT receiver has to do double duty. I know HT receivers have gotten better over the years, my 10 plus years of dealing with them has proven that. However what I'd like to know is how close are the top line HT receivers to decent mid-level seperates as far as 2 channel sound reproduction is concerned. My Onkyo 905 in pure audio mode sounds pretty damn good and on poor, older CD's the ability to tweak the frequency range of individual speakers have allowed me to get that sweet sound I like so much. And the 905 is about 3 generations old. Are HT receiver's continuing to close the gap?

Worf
It depends on you point of view, maybe. Of what relevance is any AV receiver to the Vinyl-SET-HE adherent? On the other hand if you're accepting of digital source, DSP, and multi-channel, then probably there's a strong argument. Personally I'd like to see equlization, like Audyssey, brought to the 2-channel; it actually has, but the products are not mainstream and don't necessarily integrate well with standard stereo products.

Of course separates exist in the HT realm too. Having a pre/pro separate from your amplfier(s) -- or active speakers -- makes a lot of sense, though is a relatively expensive option.

bobsticks
05-18-2011, 05:26 AM
--Hey Worfster--

There's several factors that go into answering that but almost invariably the answer is "yes". Yes, hi end seperates are closing the gap and, in some cases, superior.

In brief:

--hi end processing generally runs hand-in-hand with where the R&D money is. The DACs are usually one step down from the most sophisticated SOTA units that are in stand alone units (Chord, McIntosh, etc.)
--Free from budgetary constraints that go with one unit solutions and the amps therein, hi end seperates can concentrate on dual job of two-channel and MC channel reproduction.
--Most kvetching over HT units v. 2-channel units comes from a discontinuity between the house sound of the high dollar amp someone is using and the processor. Sound matching and accuracy are not synonymous.

The wonks can come along with specifics and the trolls can fill in the flaming...

Sir Terrence the Terrible
05-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Based on my experience high end receivers are getting so close to entry level separates, its almost too close to call in some cases.

In saying that, there is no way any receiver regardless of cost will sound anywhere close to my Grass Valley A/V processor. They just do not come with the processing power of two cascaded Cell processor(there is a total of four Cell processors in the processor), and do not come equip with 24/354.2 DAC's.

Mr Peabody
05-18-2011, 05:17 PM
Every one on this board who has moved from a receiver to separates have stated an improvement. Even those who had external add on amps. I've never heard a receiver come close to what I've heard from the likes of Primare or Krell. The mega dollar receivers, $5k+, from Arcam or T+A come close. If I had to buy a receiver I'd look at the Arcam, Rotel 15nn series, the new Anthem and even the recent Yamaha Aventage series. I don't know if Yamaha would be in the game but I'd see before ruling it out.

If you were thinking of really changing Emotiva is blowing out B-stock UMC-1 for $599.00 with a 40% discount coupon on new model. I forgot the exact differences he found but Kex thought the UMC-1 and the Integra were shoulder to shoulder. Maybe a way to try separates on the cheap if had the room.

Tarheel_
05-19-2011, 07:42 AM
I noticed quite an improvement when i used the pre-outs from my HK and added a Anthem PVA7.

Music improved dramatically while movies were better, but harder to hear the differences. Mainly the external amp produced high volumes with clearer sound from dvd/blu.

i assume going processor/amp will yield even better sound.