CHEAP Home Theater Gift [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : CHEAP Home Theater Gift

hmmmm
04-13-2004, 06:13 AM
One of my employees is getting married and I was going to get him a cheap home theater setup for his wedding gift. He's not anal about sound like myself. He currently has a dvd/vcr combo and a new 32" t.v. He told me he loved the idea of a home theater but would never buy one. (maybe it's because I pay him too little!) Anyway, it would go into a small room and I thought one of the inexpensive box systems $200.00 or under would be great. I don't want to go over that because that's the range of the other employee's gifts. My friend bought a $60.00 system at Walmart and is happy with it but when I tried to watch a movie with him it sounded like a $60.00 system! Any suggestions?

poneal
04-13-2004, 06:20 AM
Check out Harman Audio on Ebay. You can find a factory refurbished 5 channel receiver for about that much with the original factory warranty. Audiogon and this site also has advertisements for gear being sold. I would try to stick with names like Denon, Yamaha, Harman Kardon, Marantz, Onkyo if you can. Shy away from the lower end Sony stuff.

topspeed
04-13-2004, 09:23 AM
CSW has some HT sets on clearance that fit into your price range. Unfortunately, they don't include a receiver but don't worry, with the amount of useless gifts your employee will be returning (HOW many breadmakers does that make now? 5!!!) he'll have enough cash to buy a decent one himself. The CSW speaks will sound far better than most of the HTIB's I've heard, IMO.
http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=clearance

hmmmm
04-13-2004, 09:49 AM
CSW has some HT sets on clearance that fit into your price range. Unfortunately, they don't include a receiver but don't worry, with the amount of useless gifts your employee will be returning (HOW many breadmakers does that make now? 5!!!) he'll have enough cash to buy a decent one himself. The CSW speaks will sound far better than most of the HTIB's I've heard, IMO.
http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=clearance

I actually just left their site and I'll definately consider them. I actually use Newton M60's & MC500 with a Hsu subwoofer in my Hometheater setup and love them.

Geoffcin
04-13-2004, 11:09 AM
I actually just left their site and I'll definately consider them. I actually use Newton M60's & MC500 with a Hsu subwoofer in my Hometheater setup and love them.

Than to get him even the smallest CSW speakers for his HT. I actually used the sattilites from the Microworks system as my surround rears, and it worked great. I've switched now to in-wall MC300's and in my view this is the biggest waste of a good speaker I've ever done. The MC300's are much better than needed for surround rears.

CSW sells a system using the small sattlites. It's the ensemble III.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3091073257

This guy wants $125 for it. Not a bad deal!