Integra DHC-80.1 or Marantz AV8003 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Integra DHC-80.1 or Marantz AV8003

BadAssJazz
05-16-2011, 07:21 PM
It looks like prices are finally low enough for me to seriously consider the step back up to separates. I've narrowed the field to these two AV pre/pros, but I still can't decide which one I like more.

On the slight chance that one of you may have experience with both units, I turn to the forum. I'd appreciate feedback on each processor's performance. Good, bad, let me have it. I can take it.

By the way, at least for the meantime I will be using an old Rotel 5 x 120wpc amp that I'll be reclaiming from my brother. It will be nice to dust the thing off and get some use out of it again.

Mr Peabody
05-17-2011, 06:15 PM
I haven't heard the Integra but I am happy with the AV8003, hard to believe it sounds as good as it does while giving so many features. I haven't even played with the networking features yet. The HD radio is a nice touch. If you are into SACD the 8003 has built in decoding for it (DSD). It takes up a lot of shelf space and puts out some heat could be a consideration. My only real complaint would be the flemsy door on the back of the remote, and, the remote could be a bit easier to use but like I said there's a ton of features which leads to a ton of controls.:)

If it makes any difference, Marantz is not a company with customer service, pretty much worthless.

BadAssJazz
05-18-2011, 09:09 AM
My research thus far shows the 80.2 to be an excellent performer in home theater applications, but suffers from a DTS 96/24 bug that has yet to be resolved. I'm also hearing that while the stereo performance is great, it's not stellar. Not a deal breaker on either account, though. If I were truly a 2-channel purist I would never look to an AV processor to fill the bill, and the bug doesn't effect any of the Dolby TrueHD, HD-Master, etc., or other home theater codecs at all.

What I'm finding out about the Marantz seems to be more reassuring. Present owners and reviewers can't seem to rave enough about it. That may be the direction that I'll take. I'll decide in the next day or so.

BadAssJazz
05-18-2011, 09:31 AM
If you are into SACD the 8003 has built in decoding for it (DSD).

I'm definitely a fan of SACD. Have been for some time now.

Yesterday was one of those days where it felt like CERN decided to run their "God particle" experiments in the hollow of my skull, firing off subatomic particles that collided with increasingly smaller gray matter material as the day went on. Relieved to be home, I crashed on the sofa, reached for the remote and pressed play. I knew there was a CD in the Oppo. I didn't recall which CD; didn't need to. Even before the SC-07 flashed "SACD" on the display, I knew it. Music has never been more all-enveloping. Or all-soothing.

I just wish that the music industry would put out more SACD titles. (By the way, thank you Messieurs Gerald Albright and Marion Meadows for putting some of your jazz out in SACD format.)

Sir Terrence the Terrible
05-18-2011, 12:42 PM
I haven't heard the Integra but I am happy with the AV8003, hard to believe it sounds as good as it does while giving so many features. I haven't even played with the networking features yet. The HD radio is a nice touch. If you are into SACD the 8003 has built in decoding for it (DSD). It takes up a lot of shelf space and puts out some heat could be a consideration. My only real complaint would be the flemsy door on the back of the remote, and, the remote could be a bit easier to use but like I said there's a ton of features which leads to a ton of controls.:)

If it makes any difference, Marantz is not a company with customer service, pretty much worthless.

Both pieces have the ability to decode native DSD signals.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
05-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Personally, in looking at the features on both processors, I cannot see much difference between them. So I say it is a matter of personal choice on this one.