Anybody check out TV-online? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody check out TV-online?

Swish
05-14-2011, 02:15 PM
www.tv-online.com/free

My oldest brother sent me the link and I checked it out. The company is Stream Direct and they claim to offer 4500 HD channels from all over the world, and you never get a bill after the initial download and payment of $44.95. That's one time and done plus a free video recorder.

No, this isn't spam and I have no stock or ownership in this company. I'm just wondering if anyone saw it and tried it yet.

bobsticks
05-14-2011, 02:29 PM
It's kind of perplexed me but with all the talk of broadband caps and usage fees I'm sort of waiting to see how it plays out. From a qc perspective, there's no reason it can't be high quality but, ultimately, could become more expensive depending on usage.

Read this for some background on what I'm talkembout...
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=36291

Woochifer
05-17-2011, 11:12 AM
This domain may be for sale. Click here for more information.

So much for that.

Online streaming sites like this pop up and get taken down constantly. Redistributing live TV signals like this is illegal. Any site asking for payment upfront for "free" streaming is asking for trouble, since they can get shut down at any time after they processed your payment.

It's kind of perplexed me but with all the talk of broadband caps and usage fees I'm sort of waiting to see how it plays out. From a qc perspective, there's no reason it can't be high quality but, ultimately, could become more expensive depending on usage.

Read this for some background on what I'm talkembout...
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=36291

AT&T started the caps this month and Comcast has already had its 250 GB cap in place. My monthly data cap with AT&T is 150 GB. We use Netflix, but not nearly as much as our regular Directv service (NBA and NHL playoffs have taken over the TV).

Ars Technica posted a great article summarizing how broadband subscribers can monitor their broadband usage. I'll post it as a separate thread as well.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/05/worried-about-data-caps-a-visual-tour-of-bandwidth-use-monitors.ars

I checked my usage on AT&T and found that indeed in our first month after adding the Netflix streaming service, our broadband usage zoomed up to about 120 GB. And that was with relatively modest usage -- a couple of movies, three seasons of Bones, and the David Tennant Doctor Who specials. Our normal internet usage was 30 to 40 GB per month, so you can see the impact that Netflix has.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
05-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Has anyone received any notice of the caps from AT&T? I have not received any notice of caps so far, so I am wondering if it is actually happening. Can they put caps on without notice, and why would they do this if it is going to affect the end user.

Woochifer
05-17-2011, 11:47 AM
Has anyone received any notice of the caps from AT&T? I have not received any notice of caps so far, so I am wondering if it is actually happening. Can they put caps on without notice, and why would they do this if it is going to affect the end user.

I don't normally use my AT&T e-mail, so I haven't checked for any notices. In the past, that's where all of their service messages have gone. All of the press accounts I've read indicate that they begin implementing the caps this month. The overage fees are $10 for every 50 GB over the base cap. Regardless, I'm sure they'll let you know of any overages on the monthly bill!