ATTENTION - Forum Upgrade 5/17 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION - Forum Upgrade 5/17

atomicAdam
05-13-2011, 03:39 PM
Hi All -

Looks like we'll be upgrading the forums this coming Tuesday. We already did a couple of our other forums and things went smoothly. There are some new features and we'll be able to use some newer vB plug ins.

If all goes as planned the forums will go down for a bit on Tuesday while we upgrade. I should have a time est. for you because we'll do a test run in our staging environment before we do the live forum.

Once the upgrade is complete it would be great if you have issues to post those issue in this thread. Though we aren't expecting anything. Things went very smoothly for the other forums, but they have less users and content than we do.

Oh also the forum will be hosted on a new server - so it should be much faster than before. Clean OS install, clean forum install - only thing from the old forum will be the database inserts.

Have a good weekend all.

Also sorry I've not been around much. Moved from SoCal to NorCal these past two weeks and have been very busy.

peace out!

Sir Terrence the Terrible
05-16-2011, 09:15 AM
Adam,
Welcome back to the north, we missed you while you were trolling through the mountains of Socal.

Does this mean I will be able to use Audioreview with my main computer? I hope so. Using a laptop all of the time is pretty inconvenient.

atomicAdam
05-16-2011, 10:00 AM
STtT -

That is a good Q - lets hope - but I'm not sure. Let me know.

Also

**********ATTENTION!!!!!!!!********

Update aim has been moved to Wed 5/18

noddin0ff
05-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Oh no! The font! The horror!

ok. it's not that bad. Things seem speedy that's nice.

And just to prove that you'll never be able to please everyone all the time...might we get a mobile version of the forum some day?

heh heh

Feanor
05-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Hi All -

Looks like we'll be upgrading the forums this coming Tuesday. We already did a couple of our other forums and things went smoothly. There are some new features and we'll be able to use some newer vB plug ins.

Once the upgrade is complete it would be great if you have issues to post those issue in this thread. Though we aren't expecting anything. Things went very smoothly for the other forums, but they have less users and content than we do.

Oh also the forum will be hosted on a new server - so it should be much faster than before. Clean OS install, clean forum install - only thing from the old forum will be the database inserts.
Also sorry I've not been around much. Moved from SoCal to NorCal these past two weeks and have been very busy.

peace out!
aA, things seem pretty good. One thing though, this afternoon when I connected I notice that a lot more stuff is underlined than used to be the case: odd!

How does the "Multi-quote this Message" button work? Didn't seem to do much when I tried it.

Glad to see you So- to NoCal move went smoothly.

Mr Peabody
05-18-2011, 04:58 PM
The upgrade works great for me. It's the simple things like the link in the emails actually taking you to the correct post again. It is faster as well.

atomicAdam
05-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Oh no! The font! The horror!

ok. it's not that bad. Things seem speedy that's nice.

And just to prove that you'll never be able to please everyone all the time...might we get a mobile version of the forum some day?

heh heh

There is a mobile version plug in for this version of vB - as far as I know we will be using it. probably sooner than later too.

atomicAdam
05-18-2011, 05:02 PM
aA, things seem pretty good. One thing though, this afternoon when I connected I notice that a lot more stuff is underlined than used to be the case: odd!

How does the "Multi-quote this Message" button work? Didn't seem to do much when I tried it.

Thanks! It has - but I do miss my wife - even if she is mad at me today... :(

Not sure about the Multi-Quote - we'll have to play around with it.

atomicAdam
05-18-2011, 05:04 PM
The upgrade works great for me. It's the simple things like the link in the emails actually taking you to the correct post again. It is faster as well.

Great - it is good to hear the new hardware is running as it should. New builds of the OS, software, new version as well.

We will have to see how the server holds up once are larger forums (forums.mtbr.com and forums.roadbikereview.com and forums.photographyreview.com) get moved over.

Mr Peabody
05-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Any chance the Avatoar capacity increased? I think we were limited to 150x150 for the pic.

atomicAdam
05-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Any chance the Avatoar capacity increased? I think we were limited to 150x150 for the pic.

I will check into it.

Feanor
05-19-2011, 11:04 AM
BTW, the excessive underlining (of links) went away when I changed IE's Internet Options > Underline links to 'Hover'.

Mr Peabody
05-20-2011, 08:17 PM
What's going on with "New Posts"? There used to be a long list of all the recent threads that had recent posts, now I can click on "New Posts" and sometimes only be two threads listed. The complete listing sure was a time saver.

02audionoob
05-20-2011, 08:24 PM

Thanks! It has - but I do miss my wife - even if she is mad at me today... :(

Not sure about the Multi-Quote - we'll have to play around with it.

Regarding Multi-quote...

Click that button on more than one post and when you hit the Quote button you'll see more than one quote in the Reply window.

Mr Peabody
05-20-2011, 08:34 PM
I'm talking about the "New Post" link at the top of most all pages, up by "search", "User CP" etc. The link also used to be nice to help one not to miss posts that may appear in a thread not frequently visited.

02audionoob
05-20-2011, 08:50 PM
I edited previous reply to show clearly what I was responding to. I did notice the New Post issue. I'm hoping there's a setting to see it the old way.

atomicAdam
05-22-2011, 07:08 PM
new post is prob a setting. ill check....

atomicAdam
05-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Adam,
Welcome back to the north, we missed you while you were trolling through the mountains of Socal.

Does this mean I will be able to use Audioreview with my main computer? I hope so. Using a laptop all of the time is pretty inconvenient.

How is this issue now after the upgrade?

-adam

atomicAdam
05-25-2011, 03:11 PM
Has anyone had any double post issues with the upgrade?

We found out that Ajax with the quick post was causing double posting problems - or that you have to wait 30 seconds between post - anyone having that?

-adam

ForeverAutumn
05-25-2011, 06:06 PM
Some of the bugs that I thought were fixed, aren't. I still get the message that I have to wait 30 seconds between posts and also 30 seconds between searches when I click on 'New Posts'.

I haven't had any double posts that I'm aware of.

JohnMichael
05-25-2011, 06:52 PM
I can no longer download pictures to compliment my responses.

atomicAdam
05-26-2011, 07:38 AM
Some of the bugs that I thought were fixed, aren't. I still get the message that I have to wait 30 seconds between posts and also 30 seconds between searches when I click on 'New Posts'.

I haven't had any double posts that I'm aware of.

Hi FA - when you post - are you using the quick reply?

-adam

atomicAdam
05-26-2011, 07:39 AM
I can no longer download pictures to compliment my responses.

Yes - I think there are some issues between the gallery and the new vB. They are actually two different pieces of software, I'll talk to IT about it.

ForeverAutumn
05-26-2011, 07:56 AM
Hi FA - when you post - are you using the quick reply?

-adam

Yes Sir.

(I had to add the "Sir" because "Yes" isn't the required 5 characters. :p)

I should mention that the problem is not consistent. Sometimes I can post without issue (like now) and other times I get the 30 second message).

vlad008
05-26-2011, 08:03 AM
Yes Sir.

(I had to add the "Sir" because "Yes" isn't the required 5 characters. :p)

I should mention that the problem is not consistent. Sometimes I can post without issue (like now) and other times I get the 30 second message).

Hi FA -

I turned off the problematic Ajax features. Let me know if the problem goes away.

-adam

ForeverAutumn
06-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Hi FA -

I turned off the problematic Ajax features. Let me know if the problem goes away.

-adam

I haven't posted much lately, but so far the problems appear to be fixed. :D

I have a couple of questions/comments about the User CP screens. I notice that there is now a security setting so that we can choose who can view the information in our profile. I think that's great! Can we block specific people even if they are registered users?

Also, I was viewing a member's profile and noticed that it listed the last two people to view that profile. Can we see that on our own profile?

Thanks.

atomicAdam
06-13-2011, 01:12 PM
I haven't posted much lately, but so far the problems appear to be fixed. :D

I have a couple of questions/comments about the User CP screens. I notice that there is now a security setting so that we can choose who can view the information in our profile. I think that's great! Can we block specific people even if they are registered users?

Also, I was viewing a member's profile and noticed that it listed the last two people to view that profile. Can we see that on our own profile?

Thanks.

Hi FA -

I'm not sure about Q #1 - can you block my test account - atomicTester. I'll let you know.

#2 - I'd think so - I can see who viewed mine. So I'd figure that is an option for you also.

-adam

luvtolisten
06-24-2011, 02:11 PM
I haven't been in on in a month or two, but 2 things I noticed.
When I click on "New Posts" it shows only the ones I posted, not everyone's as it used to.
Any I can only see about 1/2 the pictures I used to. All I see is a small box with an "X" thru it. Including the ones I posted before. I haven't changed anything how I upload or view pictures.

thekid
06-26-2011, 05:52 AM
I haven't been in on in a month or two, but 2 things I noticed.
When I click on "New Posts" it shows only the ones I posted, not everyone's as it used to.
Any I can only see about 1/2 the pictures I used to. All I see is a small box with an "X" thru it. Including the ones I posted before. I haven't changed anything how I upload or view pictures.

I have the exact same issue.
Anyone have a solution or an idea when this will change?
It makes it somewhat difficult to respond to some threads when you can't even see what the OP is talking about........ :frown2:

Mr Peabody
06-27-2011, 12:10 PM
I have the exact same issue.
Anyone have a solution or an idea when this will change?
It makes it somewhat difficult to respond to some threads when you can't even see what the OP is talking about........ :frown2:

I brought this up earlier in the thread as well, it's much easier to keep up if you can click on "new posts" to see recent activity, not many have time to search each topic on the forum for new activity. Also, less of a chance missing something. As it is "new posts" is useless.

atomicAdam
06-27-2011, 12:27 PM
I brought this up earlier in the thread as well, it's much easier to keep up if you can click on "new posts" to see recent activity, not many have time to search each topic on the forum for new activity. Also, less of a chance missing something. As it is "new posts" is useless.

Hi Folks -

I'll bring this up to IT.

Thanks,
-adam

ForeverAutumn
06-30-2011, 05:21 AM
I can see all new posts okay, but I can't see pictures that people post.