What universal remote for HT do you use? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What universal remote for HT do you use?

Swish
05-13-2011, 12:58 PM
I am in the market as my HT project is moving along nicely. I was thinking about a Harmony One or perhaps their 900, but I read a few reviews that are making me skittish.
I also heard good things about the Universal Remote MX-700, but it appears they're hard to find if you're a mere consumer and not a professional installer.

I'm assuming most of the better quality units will be compatible with the Epson projector I plan to buy, by Rotel processor and PS3 for Blu-Ray.

Just wondering what you people are using and what you would recommend at this juncture.

Thanks in advance,

Swishdaddy

Hyfi
05-13-2011, 02:05 PM
I started out with the Harmony 880 but it had design flaws with the charging contacts and base.

I moved up to the Harmony One which is an awesome remote. There were some battery problems with swelling and they replaced mine and plenty of others because you couldn't get the battery out.

They have corrected that problem of bad batteries and all is well. I love it and still need t further customize it but it had every pc of gear in it's database that I own or the next closest model with same functions all the way back to an old Onkyo Tape Deck and up to my OPPO 93.

If you have problems, they will customize things from their end as they did for a Sony VHS I use that when you want to record, you hit the Timer Record on. That was toggling as Power on off until they fixed it from their end.

Great remote, great service.

pixelthis
05-15-2011, 01:21 PM
I RECOMMEND any kind of remote PHILLIPS is putting out now.
My PRONTO is eight years old and still working fine, and even tho the tech
is a bit dated, the editing software works fine with Windows 7.
MATTER of fact, I did a few changes the other day. And the battery lasted a week
when I first got it, its decreased somewhat, but still working , which is quite good.
WHEN this thing does break, I will cry like a baby.:1:

Worf101
05-15-2011, 08:39 PM
My ole lady can barely open an envelope much less operate 4 or 5 remotes. The Logitech Harmony One has saved me hours of frustration and having to run up and downstairs all night because she can't change the channel on the cable box. Brilliant piece of kit but it does require an internet connection to set up. You'll also need the make and model numbers of all equipment you want to operate. Get it, you won't be sorry.

Worf

pixelthis
05-17-2011, 02:17 PM
My ole lady can barely open an envelope much less operate 4 or 5 remotes. The Logitech Harmony One has saved me hours of frustration and having to run up and downstairs all night because she can't change the channel on the cable box. Brilliant piece of kit but it does require an internet connection to set up. You'll also need the make and model numbers of all equipment you want to operate. Get it, you won't be sorry.

Worf

a universal remote goes a long way in getting the old lady to accept a "real"
HT.
I HAVE A special on DVD where this HT installer is installing an economy HT
for a family. When he asks everybody what they want, wifey says, "how about one remote
thats easy to use?"THATS her number one request.:1:

L.J.
05-17-2011, 03:45 PM
I'm assuming most of the better quality units will be compatible with the Epson projector I plan to buy, by Rotel processor and PS3 for Blu-Ray.

Not sure if you know, but for PS3 your gonna need an adapter since PS3 uses bluetooth. I've been using the Nyko IR/USB adapter (http://www.amazon.com/BluWave-Infrared-Remote-Playstation-3/dp/B000R5H7KE/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1305674805&sr=8-11) for years with no problem. Nyko is already in Logitech's database so it's easy to set up to use for the PS3.

Otherwise you gotta go with the much more expensive Logitech adapter (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Adapter-PlayStation-3/dp/B00267S7XW/ref=sr_1_cc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305675158&sr=1-1-catcorr).

BTW, another vote for Harmony One :)

ForeverAutumn
05-17-2011, 03:53 PM
I've been watching the thread because I also want a universal remote. Swishy, I went onto Best Buy's site to price the Harmony One. It's on sale for $165 in the US.

($219 in Canada! WTF's up with that when our dollar is actually stronger than yours?!!!!! :mad:)

Swish
05-18-2011, 03:20 AM
a universal remote goes a long way in getting the old lady to accept a "real"
HT.
I HAVE A special on DVD where this HT installer is installing an economy HT
for a family. When he asks everybody what they want, wifey says, "how about one remote
thats easy to use?"THATS her number one request.:1:

...as I have an older Harmony right now, but it's becoming obsolete. Pushing one button to 'play music', or 'watch a movie' is the bomb.

Worf101
05-18-2011, 04:51 AM
In case anyone got the wrong impression in my original post. Wifey Poo has THREE degrees including TWO Masters Degree's. She's a brilliant, empathetic woman of many talents. BUT if it requires puttin in batteries and reading a manual.... errrr not so sharp. When knucklehead beats feet to college next fall I don't know what she's gonna do but I suspect I'll be wearing my feet out with this electronic errand or that one. Sigh...

Worf

Hyfi
05-18-2011, 05:02 AM
I've been watching the thread because I also want a universal remote. Swishy, I went onto Best Buy's site to price the Harmony One. It's on sale for $165 in the US.

($219 in Canada! WTF's up with that when our dollar is actually stronger than yours?!!!!! :mad:)

I was pretty lucky in that I did not pay the full amount for mine. I bought the 880 for less than $100 but as I said before, it had a design flaw where the tolerances between remote and charging base were such that it did not always line up and was not charging when you thought it was.

They replaced it twice when I beeched at them about the design flaw and told them how to fix it. I knew that there was no way they could even send me a good one because they were all the same. I told them if they could not send me an 880 that worked properly (knowing they could not) then send me a One as a replacement. A few days later a One was at the door.

After I ended up with their other well known issue of the swelling bad batteries, they sent me another new One without wanting the old one back. They take the PID number out of the system so you can never re-program it but it will work as a backup with current program and I was able to get the swollen battery out without damaging it.

Swish
05-18-2011, 05:25 AM

Worf

Audio Bill has one but said he wishes he had sprung for the Harmony 900, saying the One didn't control the volume on his processor very well when he's beyond 6 feet from the rack. It's his opinion that non-RF models are inherently weaker, and that makes sense. He does like the One otherwise.

Swish
05-18-2011, 05:31 AM
Not sure if you know, but for PS3 your gonna need an adapter since PS3 uses bluetooth. I've been using the Nyko IR/USB adapter (http://www.amazon.com/BluWave-Infrared-Remote-Playstation-3/dp/B000R5H7KE/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1305674805&sr=8-11) for years with no problem. Nyko is already in Logitech's database so it's easy to set up to use for the PS3.

Otherwise you gotta go with the much more expensive Logitech adapter (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Adapter-PlayStation-3/dp/B00267S7XW/ref=sr_1_cc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305675158&sr=1-1-catcorr).

BTW, another vote for Harmony One :)

I actually bought the PS3 remote since the only one that was included with the PS3 is a game controller. You can use the game controller for most of the functions, but not for CDs and the like (fast forward, pause, etc.) as far as I know.

So this Nyko will allow me to 'pair' the Harmony remote with the PS3 and it will power up and turn off and so forth?

L.J.
05-18-2011, 07:49 AM
I actually bought the PS3 remote since the only one that was included with the PS3 is a game controller. You can use the game controller for most of the functions, but not for CDs and the like (fast forward, pause, etc.) as far as I know.

So this Nyko will allow me to 'pair' the Harmony remote with the PS3 and it will power up and turn off and so forth?

Oops, forgot to mention that. You can power down, but not with the press of a button. You would still have to go through the PS3 menu and select it. Cannot power it up and this would have to be done by inserting a disc or pressing the power button on the unit itself. It also, obviously takes up a USB port. Besides that, I have complete control while using my Harmony. I've actually gotten use to just powering on while walking by so it doesn't bother me.

According to Logitech, the Logitech adapter does not have any of these limitations (I haven't used one) so may be worth the extra $$.

Hyfi
05-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Hey, Philly area CL listing- New Harmony One $130 and Extender for $30

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ele/2388472550.html

Swish
05-18-2011, 09:48 AM

But you already knew that, didn't you Fall Girl?

Swish
05-18-2011, 09:51 AM
Oops, forgot to mention that. You can power down, but not with the press of a button. You would still have to go through the PS3 menu and select it. Cannot power it up and this would have to be done by inserting a disc or pressing the power button on the unit itself. It also, obviously takes up a USB port. Besides that, I have complete control while using my Harmony. I've actually gotten use to just powering on while walking by so it doesn't bother me.

According to Logitech, the Logitech adapter does not have any of these limitations (I haven't used one) so may be worth the extra $$.

Glad I asked because that won't do it for me. I'll just pay the extra for the Logitech and go from there. I do appreciate the info as you're the first person to mention that issue with PS3 and bluetooth.

Many thanks!

Hyfi
05-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Glad I asked because that won't do it for me. I'll just pay the extra for the Logitech and go from there. I do appreciate the info as you're the first person to mention that issue with PS3 and bluetooth.

Many thanks!

Keep in mind that if you come up with a configuration that you cannot get to work, Logitech can customize it to work for you.

They did this for a Sony VCR where the Timer Rec on/off was acting as a Power on/off so it would turn off the rec, but not turn on the VCR, and the reverse for turning off. I wanted it to turn off and then set Timer Rec to On. They did it for me from thier end.

ForeverAutumn
05-18-2011, 10:35 AM
But you already knew that, didn't you Fall Girl?

That answer doesn't work for me in this case. I'm used to things here costing 10% or 15% more than the US because of tariffs, shipping, etc. But there's no excuse for a 34% price difference.

That's okay. I've had an offer from a kind soul to take good care of his Canadian friend. I'm in good hands. :)

pixelthis
05-23-2011, 01:02 PM
In case anyone got the wrong impression in my original post. Wifey Poo has THREE degrees including TWO Masters Degree's. She's a brilliant, empathetic woman of many talents. BUT if it requires puttin in batteries and reading a manual.... errrr not so sharp. When knucklehead beats feet to college next fall I don't know what she's gonna do but I suspect I'll be wearing my feet out with this electronic errand or that one. Sigh...

Worf

It may be sexist to say, but most women do not have the
"gadget" gene.
THEY SAY that men have it better with spatial relationships and
math, and I am sure that has something to do with it.
I USED to be naive enough to think that women would be impressed with my gear, but most just think its too "loud",
and thats just money wasted that could be spent on "them".
AND most prefer a smaller screen, more intimate, and blends
with the decor better.
ONE WOMAN refused to let her husband put any kind of speakers in "her" living room unless they were "small, white,
and Bose"! :1: