It's the TGIF Mystery Comp thread... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : It's the TGIF Mystery Comp thread...

bobsticks
05-13-2011, 06:17 AM
I'm not chomping at the bit for this one myself. I've sorta had my fill of reverb soaked, chinstrap bearded, coffeehouse folk rock.

Amen. No maudlin stuff Friday, I do declare. How about some real chunga chunga, weebly weebly weebly rawk...something you could mow the lawn to, something to which a character could down an IPA or three, something that inspires one to march out to the garage, pull out the sawhorses and finish that set of stocks for the guest bedroom. Lighthearted but bluesy rock 'n'roll...

What's in it for you? Well, it is a "Mystery Comp" so let's say the first person to post the correct band names and song titles gets to be rude to Swish for a month. The first poster to announce the correct band monikers, song titles and album titles gets to designate a city and Herb Tarlek and I will go there, rent a helicopter and drop live turkeys on unsuspecting passersby.

If nobody guesses correctly within a week you all have to chip in and buy me a pony.

Sound good? Just shout it out and I'll email each of y'all shouters the appropriate linkies...

Davey
05-13-2011, 06:28 AM
Does this have any resemblance to the one you emailed a few days ago? I missed out on that one as all the links were dead. But yea, if you've got a live one, I'll play. I was just thinking this morning that I really need to get that set of stocks finished this weekend...

bobsticks
05-13-2011, 06:51 AM
This is exactly the opposite of that ill-fated venture (which was ultimately successfully posted in Apple Lossless and I thinkonly noddy snagged it). This is significantly more upbeat.

dean_martin
05-13-2011, 07:02 AM
I'm in. Sounds like some of the tailgatin' comps I made for football seasons past.

Swish
05-13-2011, 11:40 AM
This is exactly the opposite of that ill-fated venture (which was ultimately successfully posted in Apple Lossless and I thinkonly noddy snagged it). This is significantly more upbeat.

Oh, maybe I didn't exactly acknowledge acknowledge it, but I gots it fo sho. And to reiterate to Davey, this idea would be the polar opposite of that maudlin effort.

noddin0ff
05-13-2011, 02:31 PM
Hmmm. Music for mowin'. Just in time!

Slosh
05-13-2011, 06:53 PM
I can play along with this too. Here (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2956428/Sudden%20Showers.zip) is a CDR-friendly length playlist I threw together for myself back in March, and it's a good one I must say. :)

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq41/Slosh_album/SuddenShowers.jpg

Slosh
05-14-2011, 03:59 AM
All right, sticks.

05 Angel's Harp - Frank Black
08 Ashes To Ashes - David Bowie
10 Vertigo - U2
16 Tumbling Dice - Rolling Stones

Hmmm......I didn't do too well. Another 80% to go.

bobsticks
05-14-2011, 04:40 AM
What'd you think about the Bowie? It's the cd layer from an SACD release and, despite the remastering, I felt it to be kind of thin. I think it works "stylistically" but I was hoping for more.

Nice playlist btw. I like Okkervil River and have been on the fence about "The Stage Names" but I suspect I'll have to dig up a few pence and invest. Thanks for the motivation and thanks for playin'.

Rae
05-14-2011, 07:17 AM
Somebody pm me this link.

~Rae

bobsticks
05-15-2011, 11:28 AM
That is some hella playlist. I've been enjoying for a couple of days and though most of the material is familiar I have to admit that my first exposure to The Broken Bells is pretty positive. That, I am down with as they say...in that Choctaw Hayride meets Camouflage's Method's of Silence kind of way.

Any recs for a complete disc from these characters?

Slosh
05-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Any recs for a complete disc from these characters?Well, there's only one album so that makes it easy, and it's a good one at that. Yer right about Ashes to Ashes sounding a bit on the thin side, though I haven't played it on the "big" system yet.

Have you heard Choctaw Bingo (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2956428/13%20Choctaw%20Bingo.mp3) before? Me thinks it would be right at home on your Mystery Comp.

Slosh
05-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Somebody pm me this link.
Did someone ever step up? Unfortunately I deleted all of my PMs before I saw this post. :(

bobsticks
05-15-2011, 04:39 PM
(Yep)

noddin0ff
05-16-2011, 04:47 AM
6 Ween – Voodoo Lady
8 David Bowie – Ashes to Ashes
10 U2 - Vertigo
13 G. Love & Special Sauce – Baby’s Got Sauce
14 Beastie Boys – Sabrosa??
16 Rolling Stones – Tumbling Dice

Didn't fare much better than Slosh.

noddin0ff
05-16-2011, 05:06 AM
I popped open a rip of Ashes to Ashes from my 1990 Ryco release of ChangesBowie (TOP) and lined it up with your CD layer SACD (BOTTOM) in Audacity. I don't really know how to interpret these things, but it looks like the CD layer pumps up the quite parts more relative to the Ryco. Listening, it sounds mostly like the base is bumped. Here's the Ryco verson (http://db.tt/YkaUY5D)

bobsticks
05-16-2011, 05:23 AM
I popped open a rip of Ashes to Ashes from my 1990 Ryco release of ChangesBowie (TOP) and lined it up with your CD layer SACD (BOTTOM) in Audacity. I don't really know how to interpret these things, but it looks like the CD layer pumps up the quite parts more relative to the Ryco. Listening, it sounds mostly like the base is bumped.

Yeah. After listening to it again a few times I think there's a couple of factors at play. First is the general impression of "less than" left by the volume matching issue. Moreover, listening to the arrangement makes it apparent that there are certain areas of the spectrum that are sort of left unaddressed. Kind of like a one-note sonic plate of food...

bobsticks
05-20-2011, 05:51 AM
...I'm bowled over by the participation.

01. Tobacco ~ The Love Song
02. The Verve Pipe ~ Cup of Tea
03. The Virgins ~ She's Expensive
04. The Low Anthem ~ Home I'll Never Be
05. Danger Mouse ~ Angel's Harp
06. Ween ~ Voodoo Lady
07. David Bowie ~ Ashes To Ashes
08. Augie March ~ Songs In The Key Change
09. Joss Stone ~ Dirty Man
10. U2 ~ Vertigo
11. Johnny Socko ~ Full Trucker Effect
12. Medeski, Martin & Wood ~ Chubb Sub
13. G. Love & Special Sauce ~ Baby Got Sauce
14. Beastie Boys ~ Sabrosa
15. Hubert Sumlin ~ Still A Food
16. The Rolling Stones ~ Tumbling Dice
17. Frank Turner ~ Live Fast Die Old
18. Dropkick Murphys ~ Bastards On Parade
19. Bad Religion ~ The Empire Strikes First
20. Social Distortion ~ Mommy's Little Monster

For those that participated, have fun.

noddin0ff
05-20-2011, 08:29 AM
dang. I should have got #12 also. Hmmm, and maybe #5 but I don't really like that album and have thus ignored it.

Since I'm digging through comps... #1, #4, #17 appear to have been on nobody's 2009 Megamix--perhaps heading for a compost too....#20 was on nobody's This is Hardcore.

looks like nobody could've guess correctly. nobody's loss.

btw, I'm gonna Pony up here (http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=360741&postcount=9)