Cheap DAC working well [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cheap DAC working well

Feanor
05-12-2011, 03:53 AM
Just for fun I decide to spring for an eBay DAC, priced low with shipping included, from seller 'good.feedback' ... see here (http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260762447147&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT). I was particularly interested in getting 24/96 or better hi-rez capability.It's amazing what you can get for cheap this days in the case of DACs. :3: Diminishing returns kicks in early in case of these devices.

My old Assemblage 1.5 DAC is pretty decent, though strictly a 16/44.1 device. It features the the Burr-Brown PCM1702 20-bit "ladder DAC" fed by the venerable Cirrus Logic CS8412 receiver. The output is complex, each channel having an I/V and buffer stage, and each stage utilizing a dual opamp, (total of four dual opamps). I rolled the original opamps for stacked pairs of Texas Instruments of OPA627's.

What impressed me with the eBay DAC, other than the price, is the use of the older but well-regarded Burr-Brown DIR9001 receiver, noted for its jitter tolerance, and the relatively modern (though not latest) Wolfson WM8740 DAC. The WM8740 is 'delta-sigma' device, (as opposed to the PCM1702 'ladder' typd); it has 128x oversampling, (not upsampling), and can handle 24bit & 192 kps. The output, analog stage utilizes a single dual opamp.

Contrary to the eBay blurb the device needs a 9 volt AC, (not DC), supply, not included. Fortuitously I had a 9 VAC, 1 amp wall-wort lyng around. The good news is that board includes all its own linear rectfiers and regulators, so finding a regulated power supply (to replace a switching or unregulated wall-wort) isn't an issue.

The board has a USB input but I won't use this, instead using S/PDIF from my M-Audio Revolution 7.1 sound card.

Overall the sound is excellent with clarity and air perhaps even better than my old Assemblage. The sound is free of blatant colorations and an grain or grunges that I can identify. The high treble might seem a tad bright to some people who prefer a chocolate-coated tube sound, but I wouldn't call it "harsh". I might try swapping the OP275G opamp for a stacked pair of OPA627's which might mellow the sound a bit, but it's not urgent.

http://www.askhowto.net/good.feedback/Audio/DAC/WM8740%20MINI%20DAC/03.jpg

Will update after more listening. :12:

Poultrygeist
05-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Great find and it deserves to be put it in one of your signature green cases. Gawd I love the ebay stuff from China.

Feanor
05-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Great find and it deserves to be put it in one of your signature green cases. Gawd I love the ebay stuff from China.
Thanks, PG.There are bargains out there but separating the wheat from the chaff is mostly good luck though. I bought another cheap DAC year or so ago that I wrote up here on AR; it wasn't awful but turned out to be less good than my old Assemblage DAC.

Feanor
05-15-2011, 11:49 AM
I've been listing to this DAC now for several days playing a variety of music but relying on my reference set to tell me what's going on. BTW, my reference set include both great an not so great recordings; the not so great category includes records with particular problems, i.e. not all-bad.

I did roll the supplied OP275G opamp for a stacked pair of OPA627's. Thus modified I have no reservations about this modest DAC it better than my old Assemblage DAC, especially in resolving power. It's tonal balance is neutral which I mean in the sense of having neither inaccurate nor pleasant colorations. Plus the new DAC will play hi-rez. I tested both 24 bit / 96 kHz and 24 / 88.2 and both sounded great.

Regarding the opamp swap, according to my impression the OPA627's yielded a subtly mellowed sound that will appeal to most people. However the OPA227 is relatively expense in opamp terms and if the goad is a really cheap (but effective) DAC, the ~$30 extra for this "pricey" opamp should considered optional. (You can buy stacked OPA627's on eBay from several sellers, e.g. Gigawork, here (http://cgi.ebay.ca/2-X-Dual-Mono-Op-amp-AD827-LM358-NE5532-OPA627-/120477065449?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c0cfe20e9), who sold me mine.)

blackraven
06-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Feanor, I've been considering the WM8740 DAC along with the Muse TDA 1543 x 4 for my secondary system and for my son's system. The Muse can be had for as low as $38. I might just buy both and see which one sounds better. I will use this upgraded linear power supply for the Muse if I decide to buy it. http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-PS3KX-3-Amp-12-Volt-Supply/dp/B0002JTD2K

Muse DAC-

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/news-blog-and-showcase/john-darkos-blog/item/237-muse-mini-4-x-tda1543-dac

Feanor
06-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Feanor, I've been considering the WM8740 DAC along with the Muse TDA 1543 x 4 for my secondary system and for my son's system. The Muse can be had for as low as $38. I might just buy both and see which one sounds better. I will use this upgraded linear power supply for the Muse if I decide to buy it. http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-PS3KX-3-Amp-12-Volt-Supply/dp/B0002JTD2K

Muse DAC-

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/news-blog-and-showcase/john-darkos-blog/item/237-muse-mini-4-x-tda1543-dac
BR, the Muse should be terrifically god for the money -- and in it comes in a case. A linear, regulated power supply ought to be an improvement over a SMPS.

Many people claim to prefer the older, "ladder" DACs such as the the TDA1541 or 1543 over the delta-signa DACs that are more prevalent today. Then again some don't, claiming the 1541/1543 don't have quite as good resolution.

My old Assemblage DAC uses the Burr-Brown PCM1702, a 20-bit ladder DAC, and is a very decent sounding DAC though it won't handle 24 bit source and is, to my ear, not quite as resolved as my cheapo DAC with the Wolfson WM8740.

harley .guy07
06-05-2011, 06:18 PM
I see a day when expensive dacs are a thing of the past. With digital music becoming more popular and the designs of dacs becoming more common among most peoples systems in order for music for digital players like portable players, or computers I will think that dacs will come down in price to a point where almost anyone could afford one if one wants. If you look inside a Dac the circuit designs are rather simple mostly consisting of chip sets made by Ti, or Burr Brown or Cirrus and put together with good quality op amps and power supplies that don't have to be huge to power these circuits even though some brands insist on big power supplies for quality and balanced power. I think we will see a day when dacs as good as separate ones are common to be incorporated in preamps and receivers or prepro's as a common feature because digital music is not going anywhere and the quality of digital music is just getting better and more defined as the bit rates get higher and sampling rates get higher we will see some awesome quality come out of digital in the future and I think dacs will be more commonplace and the price per quality will only get lower.

Feanor
06-06-2011, 03:02 AM
I see a day when expensive dacs are a thing of the past. With digital music becoming more popular and the designs of dacs becoming more common among most peoples systems in order for music for digital players like portable players, or computers I will think that dacs will come down in price to a point where almost anyone could afford one if one wants. If you look inside a Dac the circuit designs are rather simple mostly consisting of chip sets made by Ti, or Burr Brown or Cirrus and put together with good quality op amps and power supplies that don't have to be huge to power these circuits even though some brands insist on big power supplies for quality and balanced power. I think we will see a day when dacs as good as separate ones are common to be incorporated in preamps and receivers or prepro's as a common feature because digital music is not going anywhere and the quality of digital music is just getting better and more defined as the bit rates get higher and sampling rates get higher we will see some awesome quality come out of digital in the future and I think dacs will be more commonplace and the price per quality will only get lower.
Yeah, could be. There is not much fundamental reason why you couldn't get a near SOTA DAC for, say, $300 if it's made enmasse. For that matter there is much reason why you couldn't make near SOTA preamplifier for say, $500, or with DAC built in, $650. Such equipment could give you 99.8% of what you'd get from equipment costing 10x as much.

I think we will have to look to Asian manufacture to get this, however. The high-end North American and European brands will compete for that extra 0.2% at diminishing-return prices.

blackraven
06-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Bill, what enclosure do you use for the Wolfson based DAC?. I would like to buy it along with the Muse. I have 3 other systems that could use a cheap DAC, so I will give both a shot and see which one sounds better. Thanks!

Larry

Feanor
06-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Bill, what enclosure do you use for the Wolfson based DAC?. I would like to buy it along with the Muse. I have 3 other systems that could use a cheap DAC, so I will give both a shot and see which one sounds better. Thanks!

Larry
Larry, there is actually no enclosure. Unfortunately the thing doesn't lend itself well to enclusures: (a) it doesn't have holes in the PCB to accept standard stand-offs, and (b) inputs and switches are fixed on opposite ends of the board so you would need a very precise size of case size to fit it.

What I did is cut and glued thin wood shims to each side of the PCB with 'Goop', then glued those to a 1 x 4 piece of pine for the base. I added three small silicon rubber 'feet' to the pine base.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/WolfsonDAC.jpg

blackraven
06-10-2011, 07:53 AM
Thanks, it looks like you did a good job there with the stand.. If i buy the DAC, I just might see how creative I can get with some plexiglass to make a cover for the unit in addition to a wood stand.

winston
06-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Beautiful, good job "Feanor" hey if looks could kill;)

man that project looks like something from (Maple shades stores) instead of a DIY effort. no kidding

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Finished-Maple-Platforms-with-Isoblock-Suspension/departments/47/

Feanor
06-24-2011, 03:40 PM
Beautiful, good job "Feanor" hey if looks could kill;)

man that project looks like something from (Maple shades stores) instead of a DIY effort. no kidding

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Finished-Maple-Platforms-with-Isoblock-Suspension/departments/47/
Ha! Thanks, Winston. Those Mapleshades are pretty nice and the prices are too crazy. On the other hand my DAC's mount was free from scrap material.

lreinstein
09-30-2011, 06:11 PM
how does this compare with vdac or dacmagic?

Feanor
10-04-2011, 08:03 AM
how does this compare with vdac or dacmagic?
Unfortunately I haven't heard either of these DACs so I can't comment on the sound, but I'll a couple of brief comments on other aspects.

The V-DAC II, the Dacmagic, and the "cheap", eBay DAC all offer USB as well as S/PDIF input. The V-DAC II has as asynchronous USB interface that ought to reduce incoming jitter. (Personally I use only the S/PDIF.)

Both the V-DAC II and the Dacmagic employ use asynchronous upsampling while Cheap DAC does not. Argueably asynchronous upsampling's principal benefit is jitter reduction. Further in case of the Dacmagic, it has a Texas Instuments DSP device that is supposed to "eradicate" jitter.

Both the Dacmagic and the Cheap DAC employ the Wolfson WM8740 DAC, however the Dacmagic uses two of them in a dual differenential, (i.e. balanced) configuration. Without being an expert, I say this might improve noise and some other specifications. It also facilitates balanced, (XLR), outputs which is nice if your amp as balanced inputs.

The V-DAC II uses the Burr-Brown DSD1796 DAC. This model doesn't have a balanced internal configuration nor balanced outputs.

The Dacmagic and V-DAC II are more sophfisticated DACs overall than the Cheap DAC hence their higher prices are easily justified. Whether the ultimate sound quality of either is better in a given situation than the Cheap DAC isn't clear. Nevertheless I'd say that both the Dacmagic and V-DAC II are excellent values and I would have choose one or the other if I'd had a little more cash at the time I bought the Cheap DAC.

NHGJHAS
11-02-2011, 10:52 PM
I found a good recovery tool for Mac CF Card Recovery, Restore deleted, lost, formatted, or corrupted photos, pictures, video, and other files from various memory cards. It makes me back a mistakenly deleted the photos.

NHGJHAS
11-02-2011, 10:54 PM
I Recommend Professional Multipage PDF to Image Convert for Mac Convert Multipage PDF to Image, JPG, TIFF, BMP or PNG.

filecat13
11-07-2011, 11:09 AM
You are a bargain hunter extraordinaire.

Thanks for opening these trails for us. :)

filecat13
11-07-2011, 11:10 AM
BTW: I tried to get posts 16 and 17 removed as WTF is that? No luck so far. :mad5:

Feanor
01-29-2012, 08:33 AM
I'm afraid this bargain DAC might be loosing its legs. I'm starting to hear slight 60 Hz hum and buzzy overtones come in from the device. I'm pretty sure such behaviour portents a power supply failure. The board has its own PSU, (apart from a 9 VAC transformer), so the only option is to replace the whole thing.

Well perhaps I got what I pay for or just as likely, it's just a fluke, but either way I'll be looking for a new DAC. Right now I've reverted to my old Assemblage 1.5 but only handles 16/44.1 and I want to be able to handle up to 24/192.

Right now I'm considering a couple of options:

Musical Fidelity V-DAC MkII with asynchronous USB and (undefeatable) upsampling to 24/192
Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11, non-oversampling and defeatable tube output buffer.

winston
01-29-2012, 11:34 AM
hello Feanor, sorry about your project loosing its legs man

last year I was in 'Toronto' for a few weeks, during that time I visited all my (old posse) they're all (audio fanatic's)

"and I have to say that apart from them hauling me all over the 401 every day" they all seems to be on the same page dac-wise with (Grant Fidelity DAC-11) and also the Beresford TC-7520 DAC - Headphone Amplifier - Preamp (http://www.beresford-dac.com/) in their systems,

from an Objective point a view, they're two nice sounding dac's and I was very impress with what I hear... (just some more options, and good luck with the new project)

Feanor
01-29-2012, 12:56 PM
hello Feanor, sorry about your project loosing its legs man

last year I was in 'Toronto' for a few weeks, during that time I visited all my (old posse) they're all (audio fanatic's)

"and I have to say that apart from them hauling me all over the 401 every day" they all seems to be on the same page dac-wise with (Grant Fidelity DAC-11) and also the Beresford TC-7520 DAC - Headphone Amplifier - Preamp (http://www.beresford-dac.com/) in their systems, from an Objective point a view, they're two nice sounding dac's and I was very impress with what I hear... (just some more options, and good luck with the new project)
Thanks, Winston. I haven't made up my mind at all, but right now I'm leaning towards the MF V-DAC. I'm not as inclined to the smoothing effect of tubes as a lot of people are.

Enochrome
01-30-2012, 01:01 PM
Sorry about the DAC issue.

What DAC chip does the V-DAC have? I heard the V-DAC is great in the midrange department.

In the GF-DAC-11 non-oversampling feature does that mean that it does not upsample? Are you disregarding the GF's ability to bypass the tube out for a straight DAC out because the V-DAC seems better or you just don't like the bypass feature?

blackraven
01-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Thanks, Winston. I haven't made up my mind at all, but right now I'm leaning towards the MF V-DAC. I'm not as inclined to the smoothing effect of tubes as a lot of people are.

You would be hard pressed to tell that the DAC-11 had a tube buffer. The tube out is neutral and detailed. The SS out has a brighter sound and slightly more forward.

Feanor
01-30-2012, 07:31 PM
You would be hard pressed to tell that the DAC-11 had a tube buffer. The tube out is neutral and detailed. The SS out has a brighter sound and slightly more forward.
Well your observation is consistent with the general vib. The DAC-11 is cheaper, i.e. not so much the price but the fact that it's shipped in Canada which avoids brokerage, etc. I can't find any local or Canadian online seller for the V-DAC.

On the other hand Emotiva is clearing their XDA-1 on clearance for $250.

Enochrome
01-31-2012, 07:35 PM
Well your observation is consistent with the general vib. The DAC-11 is cheaper, i.e. not so much the price but the fact that it's shipped in Canada which avoids brokerage, etc. I can't find any local or Canadian online seller for the V-DAC.

On the other hand Emotiva is clearing their XDA-1 on clearance for $250.

From what I have noticed online, the Emotiva has not received great reviews. Also, it only does 16/44 via USB. Just a FYI.

It seems that this forum is not Cambridge Audio fans, but the DacMagic has received good reviews, although said that the USB had some jitter issues.

Feanor
01-31-2012, 07:43 PM
From what I have noticed online, the Emotiva has not received great reviews. Also, it only does 16/44 via USB. Just a FYI.

It seems that this forum is not Cambridge Audio fans, but the DacMagic has received good reviews, although said that the USB had some jitter issues.
Yes, the Emotiva has had mixed reviews; anyway, I've decided against it. I might have considered the Cambridge but it's just a little too pricey. The DacMagic also uses a DSP chip in addition to the DAC, etc., which is a bit unusual.

paulsmuk
02-02-2012, 01:57 AM
a little off the above subject but I am not allowed to post yet untill I got more posts??? Anyway I run a laptop and as with most the speakers are practically silent, does anybody know of any bluetooth/wireless speakers I can use with it?

Ajani
02-02-2012, 08:55 AM
I really wouldn't recommend the emotiva. I still have mine, but other than a decent feature set (especially the remote) I don't think it's anything special for the price.

Feanor
03-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Well, well, what diya know: the hum problem I mentioned wasn't caused by my cheap DAC. The problem is rare & intermittent, caused by some other, undetermined factor.

However before figuring this out I went to good ol' eBay and ordered another cheap DAC, namely this one, also sold by a couple of other eBay vendors ... New design S.M.S.L SD-1955 DIR9001 AD1955 mini DAC Optical coaxial | eBay (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-design-S-M-S-L-SD-1955-DIR9001-AD1955-mini-DAC-Optical-coaxial-/200714728557?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebb87b46d#ht_9581wt_1141)

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/bluericewin/x195.JPG
http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/bluericewin/x19GB2.JPG

It uses:

Analog Devices AD1955 chip for a DAC; this current chip is capable of 24/192.
DIR9001 S/PDIF receiver, capable of 24/96; an older chip but well regarded for jitter reduction
Tenor TE7022L USB interface, capable of 24/96 -- however I only use the S/PDIF coax input
Two dual OP275 opamps for I/V and one dual 5532 for an output buffer.
9 VDC wallwort power supply

The DAC doesn't do asynchronous upsampling but the AD1955 has internal oversampling which feature I presume is used.

Because I had them around I used OPA2134 opamps to replace the OP275's, and an OPA2604 to replace the 5532. I'm considering replacing the cheap wallwort with a regulated PS.

The unit sounds at least as good, probably better, than my previous cheap DAC. BTW, I started to use this DAC the same day as I started with the Magneplanar RFI/EMI choke mentioned elsewhere -- which means unfortunately that I'm not really sure which change is causing such improvement as there might be! :aureola:

blackraven
03-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Looks nice, how would you describe the sound? It looks like a good buy at $99. It looks ripe for modding with some higher end caps. I still really like my son's Maverick Tube Magic DAC-1. We did the diy op amp up grade and tube upgrade and it sounds great. My GF DAC-11 has broken in and has really smoothed out and warmed up and sounds great.

Feanor
03-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Looks nice, how would you describe the sound? It looks like a good buy at $99. It looks ripe for modding with some higher end caps. I still really like my son's Maverick Tube Magic DAC-1. We did the diy op amp up grade and tube upgrade and it sounds great. My GF DAC-11 has broken in and has really smoothed out and warmed up and sounds great.
I'd say that it sounds smooth, grain-free, highly-resolved, and airy.

blackraven
03-19-2012, 04:09 AM
I am wanting to buy another budget DAC and I will have to consider this one.

Feanor
03-19-2012, 05:17 AM
I am wanting to buy another budget DAC and I will have to consider this one.
Based on my own experience you won`t go far wrong with this one for 100 bucks including shipping.

There are a lot of cheap DACs out there. I was looking for a few things to distinguish one from the other ...

S/PDIF receiver with a reputation for low jitter, e.g. DIR9001 or Wolfson WM8805; I meant to avoid the CS8412,4,6 series
No, or defeatable, asynchoronous upsampling
Late model DAC chip; nice would be Wolfson WM8740,1,2 but others are acceptable, e.g. Analog Devices AD1955. The ESS Sabre32 DACs would be sweet but so far are found only in more expensive equipment. (Note that most modern chips provide built-in oversampling)
Output stages with socketed opamps

I didn`t require USB because my computer has SPDIF output.

Personally I wasn`t really interested in upgrading capacitors, though there would be potential for improvement. Opamps in sockets are easy to change on the other hand, and there are subtle differences between their sounds.

Feanor
03-21-2012, 02:00 PM
I'm very pleased with this latest cheap DAC -- my third eBay special and they just keep getting better & better.

I believe this is the best sounding DAC yet -- not necessarily by a huge margin but by some margin. The instrument timbres seem clearer, (notably strings and brass), imaging more precise, the soundstage deeper, and the mid-range somewhat fuller-bodied.

I attribute these improvements to a greater freedom from grain and sonic crud. Get rid of the hash and the music is liberated. Where does the hash come from? Possibly ...

Jitter (if a digital source)
Digital filtering, e.g. "pre-echo"
Opamp noise and/or negative feedback
RFI/EMI

But the result, IMO, is much of the "harshness" attributed to digital. Minimize the harsh and you'll find your CDs sound a lot better than you ever thought they could. This isn't the first case in my experience that improving my reproduction chain, (not just the DAC), as made CDs relatively listenable that I'd previously figured were a sonic write-off.

LeRoy
06-24-2012, 07:58 PM
I attribute these improvements to a greater freedom from grain and sonic crud. Get rid of the hash and the music is liberated. Where does the hash come from? Possibly ...

RFI/EMI

But the result, IMO, is much of the "harshness" attributed to digital. Minimize the harsh and you'll find your CDs sound a lot better than you ever thought they could. This isn't the first case in my experience that improving my reproduction chain, (not just the DAC), as made CDs relatively listenable that I'd previously figured were a sonic write-off.

I like your conclusions about what this DAC is not doing...not adding digital grit to the sound stream. I am gonna have to look into this one.

Feanor
06-25-2012, 04:06 AM
I like your conclusions about what this DAC is not doing...not adding digital grit to the sound stream. I am gonna have to look into this one.
Remember, you're dealing with cheap Chinese stuff so QA might lead to variable results. But my experiences is that is a great DAC out of the box, even it it were several times the price.

I recommend the opamp upgrades. The sound improvement is small but so is the cost of the better opamps -- like under $10 for the set of three.

winston
06-28-2012, 08:24 AM
FEANOR, do you think this one is same as above more or less? it doesn't show any internal details as the one in your post? SMSL SD-1955 DIR9001 AD1955 DAC Optical Coaxial Decoder with Power Adapter Black | eBay (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SMSL-SD-1955-DIR9001-AD1955-DAC-Optical-Coaxial-Decoder-with-Power-Adapter-Black?item=251068577994&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3D LVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D233443146016655509#ht_1575 wt_717) I just needed your 2 sense on the matter Thanks

Feanor
06-28-2012, 12:46 PM
FEANOR, do you think this one is same as above more or less? it doesn't show any internal details as the one in your post? SMSL SD-1955 DIR9001 AD1955 DAC Optical Coaxial Decoder with Power Adapter Black | eBay (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SMSL-SD-1955-DIR9001-AD1955-DAC-Optical-Coaxial-Decoder-with-Power-Adapter-Black?item=251068577994&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3D LVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D233443146016655509#ht_1575 wt_717) I just needed your 2 sense on the matter Thanks
It appears to be identical, Winston. All lot of these devices are sold by more than one eBay merchant.

winston
06-28-2012, 04:32 PM
It appears to be identical, Winston. All lot of these devices are sold by more than one eBay merchant.

thanks Bill

a0r0a7
12-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Well, well, what diya know: the hum problem I mentioned wasn't caused by my cheap DAC. The problem is rare & intermittent, caused by some other, undetermined factor.

However before figuring this out I went to good ol' eBay and ordered another cheap DAC, namely this one, also sold by a couple of other eBay vendors ... New design S.M.S.L SD-1955 DIR9001 AD1955 mini DAC Optical coaxial | eBay (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-design-S-M-S-L-SD-1955-DIR9001-AD1955-mini-DAC-Optical-coaxial-/200714728557?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebb87b46d#ht_9581wt_1141)

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/bluericewin/x195.JPG
http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/bluericewin/x19GB2.JPG

It uses:

Analog Devices AD1955 chip for a DAC; this current chip is capable of 24/192.
DIR9001 S/PDIF receiver, capable of 24/96; an older chip but well regarded for jitter reduction
Tenor TE7022L USB interface, capable of 24/96 -- however I only use the S/PDIF coax input
Two dual OP275 opamps for I/V and one dual 5532 for an output buffer.
9 VDC wallwort power supply

The DAC doesn't do asynchronous upsampling but the AD1955 has internal oversampling which feature I presume is used.

Because I had them around I used OPA2134 opamps to replace the OP275's, and an OPA2604 to replace the 5532. I'm considering replacing the cheap wallwort with a regulated PS.

The unit sounds at least as good, probably better, than my previous cheap DAC. BTW, I started to use this DAC the same day as I started with the Magneplanar RFI/EMI choke mentioned elsewhere -- which means unfortunately that I'm not really sure which change is causing such improvement as there might be! :aureola:

Hi Feanor

I have ordered the SD-1955+, a plus model as it is now known.

Can I ask if the DAC is still giving you good service? Do you still like the sound? After many months of listening do you still feel the Op-Amp upgrade is worth the extra spend? Did you change the PSU and if so did this improve anything in the sound?

I hope I am as pleased as you are and thanks for the great review. This allowed me to give this DAC a try knowing how it performs.

Cheers
Andy

Feanor
12-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Hi Feanor

I have ordered the SD-1955+, a plus model as it is now known.

Can I ask if the DAC is still giving you good service? Do you still like the sound? After many months of listening do you still feel the Op-Amp upgrade is worth the extra spend? Did you change the PSU and if so did this improve anything in the sound?

I hope I am as pleased as you are and thanks for the great review. This allowed me to give this DAC a try knowing how it performs.

Cheers
Andy
Hello, Andy,

Yes, I'm still enjoying this DAC very much. For air & resolution in particular it is the best I've tried. I should remind you that I'm using only S/PDIF inputs, not the USB.

I have not changed the original PSU which is a smallish wall-wort. I believe it is switching mode but it isn't specific and I have attempted to take it apart. I would be fun to get construct as DC battery supply but I haven't gotten around to this, nor do I feel much need.

Among modern opamps the differences are subtle so you might not hear any significant difference. On the other hand, even very good opamps are cheap. The unit requires three dual opamps, so for example, a set of OPA2604 can be had for about $15 (plus shipping) from an electronic component supplier such as Newark.com, or LME49720's for about half that.

The opamp long popular with audiophiles is the OPA627 which is a 'single' opamp. You would need three paired OPA627's. From a highly reputable source such as Parts ConneXion, (HERE (http://www.partsconnexion.com/product4269.html)), this would run about $165 which makes the value dubious. Or you could try a less reputable eBay source, such as HERE (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2pcs-BB-OPA627-OPA627AU-on-SOIC-DIP-adapter-/320824420467?pt=US_Amplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item4ab2a02873&_uhb=1#ht_1630wt_859), for a lot less money, but you risk getting counterfeits.

a0r0a7
12-18-2012, 01:28 PM
Hello Feanor

Thanks for the prompt response to my questions.

That is reassuring to know it is working well and it sounds great. I will be using the Co-Ax S/PDIF input on the DAC as well. I will try the DAC first straight out the box and compare the sound quality to my CD player internal DAC. I will most likely buy the Op-Amp upgrade you have made as its plug-n-play and your results are sucessful for minimal outlay!

My CD player sound is very detailed but, I do wish the highs were more refined, I guess 'harshness'. Your experience with this DAC seems to prove a positive in this respect and other areas as well, a real bonus ;)

I will keep you posted on my results with the SD-1955+ when I have the DAC in place. Just waiting for it to arrive in the UK :(

Cheers
Andy

TheHills44060
12-19-2012, 07:47 PM
My old Assemblage 1.5 DAC is pretty decent
I used to really like those Assemblage units and all the different options you could choose from...

Dag
12-20-2012, 02:11 PM
I'm very pleased with this latest cheap DAC -- my third eBay special and they just keep getting better & better.

I believe this is the best sounding DAC yet -- not necessarily by a huge margin but by some margin. The instrument timbres seem clearer, (notably strings and brass), imaging more precise, the soundstage deeper, and the mid-range somewhat fuller-bodied.

RFI/EMI

Hi Feanor,
I'm watching this thread for some time, because I was also interested in some cheap DAC. My goal was to use it with my TV, as it has no analog output and also with AirPort Express+iPad, as a better alternative to the built-in DAC in the AE, in both cases using the optical line.
Finally I bought the DAC, but … it just won't work I hope it would. I can get sound only if I connect it to my computer and switch it to USB. When I switch it to "digital output" it's dead, no sound.
I get the same result when I connect it to my TV, STB or AirPort Express - simply no sound.

I expected some problems with my TV, as I read somewhere that it should be switched to PCM stereo (correct me if I'm wrong) and I couldn't find any switch in the set-up of the TV for PCM stereo, but why it doesn't work with optical output at all?

I send an email the seller about this problem, but I'm not expecting much help from him, so any input in this issue from you would be much appreciated.

Sorry for my english, but it isn't my first language :)

Feanor
12-20-2012, 04:26 PM
Hi Feanor,
I'm watching this thread for some time, because I was also interested in some cheap DAC. My goal was to use it with my TV, as it has no analog output and also with AirPort Express+iPad, as a better alternative to the built-in DAC in the AE, in both cases using the optical line.
Finally I bought the DAC, but … it just won't work I hope it would. I can get sound only if I connect it to my computer and switch it to USB. When I switch it to "digital output" it's dead, no sound.
I get the same result when I connect it to my TV, STB or AirPort Express - simply no sound.

I expected some problems with my TV, as I read somewhere that it should be switched to PCM stereo (correct me if I'm wrong) and I couldn't find any switch in the set-up of the TV for PCM stereo, but why it doesn't work with optical output at all?

I send an email the seller about this problem, but I'm not expecting much help from him, so any input in this issue from you would be much appreciated.

Sorry for my english, but it isn't my first language :)
Hi, Dag,

I'm sure I understand your problem entirely; (your English is fine though).

To cover the basis, the SMSL DAC has three inputs: USB, S/PDIF optical, and S/PDIF coaxial. There is a front panel button you have to push to select the input that that you want to used. (Personally I use both S/PDIF inputs, but mostly the coax.)

Do your TV and AirPort Express have S/PDIF digital outputs? (Often TVs don't have digital outputs. If I'm thinking of the right model, the Airport Express has some sort of weird combined digital/analogy output.) Of course, only digital outputs will work with the DAC's inputs.

If you are using proper digital outputs from these devices and you have selected the appropriate input on the DAC using the front panel button, then you ought to have sound. It's possible your unit is defective.

Dag
12-21-2012, 05:41 AM
Hi, Feanor,
thanks for your quick reply, although not very pleasant for me :)

Well, yes I did everything like you suggest - my TV has optical out and also the AE has it (indeed it's a combined analog/digital output and you need a small converter for 3,5mm jack if you use it with optical cable) and I switch on the front panel of the DAC to optical output, but with no joy.

I will try also the coaxial output just to see if this works, although it wouldn't help me as I need optical outputs to work for my setup, but I'm just curious if it would work.

The seller answered my email, so I will see how it will end up.
I will leave feedback later.

Again, thanks for your suggestions and Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year for You and Your family.

Dag

Feanor
12-21-2012, 11:23 AM
So it does sound like your unit is probably defective; I hope you get satisfaction from the dealer at some point.

Best of Christmas season to you & yours.

a0r0a7
12-26-2012, 06:40 AM
The SMSL DAC arrived. A nice Xmas pressie. I have made a switch fuse UK adapter so I can power down the PSU rather than leave the SD1955 in standby. Although I see no issue with the unit being left in standby.

I hooked up the DAC to my CD player SPDIF CoAx out and moved the RCAs off of the CD player onto the SD1955. Turned the SD on, very quiet in standby. The moment of truth!

I have sound. Now my thoughts on the SD1955.

Wow! Out of the box the sound is open, smooth, detailed with tight controlled bass with nice pace. This DAC out of the box is an improvement over my CD players DAC. I compared track for track on a number of my favs and the SD1955 has the edge in a way I was wanting.

The DAC arrived in 9 days, was really well packed. The unit is built very well with a nice finish and not only sounds great but looks fab!

Thanks Feanor a great find that has allowed me to upgrade my system when funds were tight.

Feanor
12-26-2012, 09:19 AM
The SMSL DAC arrived. A nice Xmas pressie. I have made a switch fuse UK adapter so I can power down the PSU rather than leave the SD1955 in standby. Although I see no issue with the unit being left in standby.

I hooked up the DAC to my CD player SPDIF CoAx out and moved the RCAs off of the CD player onto the SD1955. Turned the SD on, very quiet in standby. The moment of truth!

I have sound. Now my thoughts on the SD1955.

Wow! Out of the box the sound is open, smooth, detailed with tight controlled bass with nice pace. This DAC out of the box is an improvement over my CD players DAC. I compared track for track on a number of my favs and the SD1955 has the edge in a way I was wanting.

The DAC arrived in 9 days, was really well packed. The unit is built very well with a nice finish and not only sounds great but looks fab!

Thanks Feanor a great find that has allowed me to upgrade my system when funds were tight.
I'm glad the SMSL is working well for you at last. It was my impression from the start that it would be a very fine DAC for several times the money. It is certainly a better DAC that what is in my older Sony SD-CE775 SACD/CD player -- so much so that on hybrid SACD discs, CD layers sound better through the SMSL that do SACD layers through the Sony.

a0r0a7
12-26-2012, 03:41 PM
Hi Feanor

Further listening has revealed just how detailed this DAC is. I agree with how well instruments are defined and separated in the soundstage. The best part for me is the smooth balanced sound, nothing lost but really nice to listen to. As I said before my CD players DAC was just a little to forward for my liking. The SD has rid my system of that trait.

Now, do I change the OpAmps? I really do like the sound now. Will I be more amazed at the gain?

Cheers
Andy

Feanor
12-26-2012, 06:02 PM
Hi Feanor

Further listening has revealed just how detailed this DAC is. I agree with how well instruments are defined and separated in the soundstage. The best part for me is the smooth balanced sound, nothing lost but really nice to listen to. As I said before my CD players DAC was just a little to forward for my liking. The SD has rid my system of that trait.

Now, do I change the OpAmps? I really do like the sound now. Will I be more amazed at the gain?

Cheers
Andy
Andy, any change for swapping opamps will be relatively small. It's unlikely that you'll be amazed but you might hear some difference.

a0r0a7
12-27-2012, 12:08 AM
Hi Feanor

I must admit for now I will listen to the DAC as it came out of the box. It has made the refinement in sound I wanted.

It is a gamble changing the OpAmps as one person may like the subtle change v the other person may not.

Cheers
Andy

Happy Camper
12-28-2012, 07:53 PM
I have decided to get an Anedio D2 DAC when a AN 3.1 Sig comes up for sale on Agon. Any comments? I'd use a USB/spdif converter until I could install WaveIO | Luckit (http://luckit.biz/new/product/waveio/) in the AN.

Happy Camper
01-06-2013, 09:55 AM
I have decided to get an Anedio D2 DAC when a AN 3.1 Sig comes up for sale on Agon. Any comments? I'd use a USB/spdif converter until I could install WaveIO | Luckit (http://luckit.biz/new/product/waveio/) in the AN.
Forcing one to do homework sometimes opens other options. My new darling (and one I like for it's capabilities) is the Lynx Hilo. Call for pricing as I've been given 25% off list quotes. It's a pro audio co. with a good reputation in the industry.

Feanor
01-06-2013, 11:42 AM
Forcing one to do homework sometimes opens other options. My new darling (and one I like for it's capabilities) is the Lynx Hilo. Call for pricing as I've been given 25% off list quotes. It's a pro audio co. with a good reputation in the industry.
Hi, Happy,

Since you mention it, I looked up the Lynx Hilo. It looks pretty sweet but definitely isn't in the "cheap" category. B&H Photo Video is selling them for $2500: HERE (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/768851-REG/Lynx_Studio_Technology_HILO_Hilo_Reference_A_D.htm l/c/product/#inpage:IN+STOCK)

http://static.bhphoto.com/images/images345x345/768851.jpg

Happy Camper
01-06-2013, 07:15 PM
I've been quoted $1850 for a new one. You see all the front end capabilities this thing has?

SkiFastBadly
01-14-2013, 12:30 AM
Based on this thread I ordered one of the S.M.S.L mini DACs. Should be an interesting experiment.

Feanor
01-14-2013, 04:24 AM
Based on this thread I ordered one of the S.M.S.L mini DACs. Should be an interesting experiment.
Should work out well for you. Are you presently using a DAC?

From this thread we see there occasional quality control problems but they have been solved.

SkiFastBadly
01-14-2013, 09:37 AM
Should work out well for you. Are you presently using a DAC?

From this thread we see there occasional quality control problems but they have been solved.

Yes, I'm currently using an Adcom GDA 700 with which I'm quite pleased, but I wanted to try something with higher bit rate capability to take advantage of some of the high definition music available, for example, from HDTracks. I intend to split the signal coming out of my computer and do an A/B comparison. Should be interesting.

TLCW
01-28-2013, 06:34 AM
Yes, I'm currently using an Adcom GDA 700 with which I'm quite pleased, but I wanted to try something with higher bit rate capability to take advantage of some of the high definition music available, for example, from HDTracks. I intend to split the signal coming out of my computer and do an A/B comparison. Should be interesting.

I just connected a new SMSL 1955+. I agree to all threads here about the SQ of 1955+. The sound is impressive. My beloved CDP is still better but not much. I had only 3 hrs of operation and the RCA & Toslink are new too, 1955+ is definite a steal at US$100. I am sure it will be much better soon.
I am interested to know how far it is when comparing with Adcom GDA 700 or some other DAC. I like it for upgrading CAS for 2.0 and feed to preamp.

SMSL is a comparatively newer Chinese company (nearby me ). The set up has Germany and Japan running. The interior components and external finish are very seriously productions. I bought the matching Class D (T) amp, same box as DAC 1955+ with unbelievable power of 80W !!

Feanor
01-28-2013, 08:00 AM
BTW, folks, I've temporarily reverted to the WM8740+DIR9001+CM102S-based DAC that started this thread; (picture below). (See more of the DAC's specs HERE (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/coaxial-DIR9001-WM8740DAC-decoders-USB-coaxial-G-1-/190685871588?pt=US_Amplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item2c65c37de4&_uhb=1#ht_6215wt_1012) on eBay.)

I had to do some computer redeployment and end up with using an old XP computer for my music server; this machine doesn't have S/PDIF output. Thus I am constrained to output to my DAC using USB.

The bad news is that my SMSL DAC doesn't handle USB properly, at least in that the DAC's output is reduced to an unacceptably low level when using USB input. The better news is that this previous DAC of mine with its CM102S USB receiver works quite well. I used the AUDIO4all music player => device interface software presently whereas I used my S/PDIF-capable sound card's custom ASIO driver before the computer switch.

I won't say that this setup sounds as good as the SMSL+S/PDIF but it's quite acceptable for now.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/500/WolfsonDAC.jpg

TLCW
01-29-2013, 08:06 AM
B

The bad news is that my SMSL DAC doesn't handle USB properly, at least in that the DAC's output is reduced to an unacceptably low level when using USB input. The better news is that this previous DAC of mine with its CM102S USB receiver works quite well. I used the AUDIO4all music player => device interface software presently whereas I used my S/PDIF-capable sound card's custom ASIO driver before the computer switch.

SMSL manufacturer is here:

Shenzhen shuangmusanlin electronic Co., LTD (http://smsl-audio.com/en_index.asp)

You may contact them about the USB issue. They may have a USB firmware update for download- now is empty in the download section.

Feanor
01-29-2013, 09:09 AM
SMSL manufacturer is here:

Shenzhen shuangmusanlin electronic Co., LTD (http://smsl-audio.com/en_index.asp)

You may contact them about the USB issue. They may have a USB firmware update for download- now is empty in the download section.
Thank you for this information about the SMSL manufacturer of whom I wasn't aware.

As for a downloads, there might be computer driver USB for the SD-1955 DAC although it isn't available at the moment. I'm not aware of any firmware as such since the DAC itself is apparently all hardware.

BTW, the website is a classic example of "Chinglish" language usage.

TLCW
01-29-2013, 06:21 PM
I tested the USB input. As the manufacturer stated somewhere. It works for Windows XP and Windows 7. I found it is not working in Vista. For me, I cranked up my pre-amp from 10 o'clock ( Optic) to 12- 1 o'clock for USB on XP notebook, the volume is fine. The USB interface seems OK for my audio setup.
The Web and user manual are bad BUT the products are quite GOOD. This is common in MIC electronics. even bearing Western brands - Frigidaire, Toshiba, Delonghi. Same as the English translation in my Italian made electric oven manual.

Feanor
01-29-2013, 06:28 PM
I tested the USB input. As the manufacturer stated somewhere. It works for Windows XP and Windows 7. I found it is not working in Vista. For me, I cranked up my pre-amp from 10 o'clock ( Optic) to 12- 1 o'clock for USB on XP notebook, the volume is fine. The USB interface seems OK for my audio setup.
I'm glad it's working for you. My machine is an XP but it doesn't work well in my case.

Elitesc27onribbons
02-22-2013, 07:58 PM
I'm glad it's working for you. My machine is an XP but it doesn't work well in my case.

Hello Feanor,

Im new here. Ive been reading alot from your Thread. I too am looking for a cheap DAC, not too cheap(sound quality).
Here's my situation; I just got a new Panasonic VT50 plasma and like all 2012 and newer models they are removing analog outs. I have an optical cable running to my reciever(Pioneer Elite SC-27). Works great together. The problem I have is I am using Zones in my home and in order to send audio to zone 1 or 2, they must be analog. Except for the ipod input. Im guessing the internal Wolfson WM8740 handles that.
I am lookin at the DAC you recommended SMSL AD1955+ and also the SMSL SD-793II

My goal is to stream pandora and other services to other zones or hear TV shows in diff rooms. So i am focused on a quality chip. The "cheap" DAC is only needed for the TV. I also was looking at the HA INFO DA1 due to its Optical out that i can reroute to the receivers optical. Hence allowing me to run RCA's to the zone and Optical for the main TV room?

Thanks for your help.
Elite

TLCW
02-26-2013, 12:31 AM
If your plasma TV has digital out ( optical or coaxial ), SMSL 1955+ is DAC (all : optical, coaxial , USB ) sd-793II is DAC with headphone amp but not for USB input . 1955+ has very good SQ (sound quality -image and sound stage ). They may serve
serve your purposes. Especially, 1955+ is really better than many many separate / built-in DAC in AV receivers.
BTW, In Elite Sc27 user manual: "It is possible to play (selected source) when using the main zone and ZONE 2 or the main zone and ZONE 3 " ( P. 91-92)

Elitesc27onribbons
02-26-2013, 08:55 AM
If your plasma TV has digital out ( optical or coaxial ), SMSL 1955+ is DAC (all : optical, coaxial , USB ) sd-793II is DAC with headphone amp but not for USB input . 1955+ has very good SQ (sound quality -image and sound stage ). They may serve
serve your purposes. Especially, 1955+ is really better than many many separate / built-in DAC in AV receivers.
BTW, In Elite Sc27 user manual: "It is possible to play (selected source) when using the main zone and ZONE 2 or the main zone and ZONE 3 " ( P. 91-92)

I wish that were the case, unfortunenately with these receivers only Analog Audio inputs can be outputed to Zone 2 or three 3. And I have confirmed this via self testing and calling the Elite support team at Pioneer. All HDMI, Dig Co-ax, optical audio can not be sent to Zones. For that same reason I'm using an OPPO BDP-83SE with the upgraded dacs and power supply, so that i may get the most from the stereo outputs(analog). For $450-500USD used these universal disc players are superb. It uses 8-channel Sabre32 Ultra (ES9016) DAC chip by stacking 4 DACs for each of the Left and Right channels.

The Elite uses a Wolfson Wm8470 DAC. In your Opinion do you think the 1955+ will better the DAC in the SC27?

Thanks,
Elites
It looks like Ill take your recommendation and get the 1955+ dac for the plasma.

Feanor
02-27-2013, 08:28 AM
Based on good reports from "inmates" over at Audio Asylum, I decided to try a Schiit Audio MODI DAC, (see HERE (http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=14)).

http://schiit.com/cart/images/modi_04.jpg

This DAC is a USB-only, USA made product from a cutely named maker. It features an up-to-date AKM4396 DAC, C-Media CM6631 asynchronous USB receiver, and low-voltage AD8616 opamp filter/output stage. This for US$ 100. The obvious limitation is no S/DIF input.

The C-Media CM6631 USB receiver is notable. It's an asynchronous and therefore potentially very low jitter device -- that's the good news. Mildly disappointing is that Schiit doesn't provide the custom driver that would be necessary to support 24/192, so the MODI is limited to 24/96. They say that at the $100 price point they can't provide the support necessary to offer a custom driver.

The MODI is probably the best "cheapo" DAC I've had so far, (I've reported four if you're counting). It has almost the detail and resolution of the SMSL DL-1955 I report few months back, but more than compensating for any minuscule loss there is a significantly smoother presentation (or greater "musicality" as some would describe it). I'm quite certain that the majority of enthusiasts/audiophiles will prefer the MODI over the SMSL, and that includes me.

I can endorse the MODI without reservation at the price provided you need a USB only interface.

However MODI will be my last "cheapo" DAC for a while: I have decided to upgrade to medium priced DAC, Schiit's BIFROST DAC which I will comment in a separate post.

TLCW
03-05-2013, 01:52 PM
The Elite uses a Wolfson Wm8470 DAC. In your Opinion do you think the 1955+ will better the DAC in the SC27?
It looks like Ill take your recommendation and get the 1955+ dac for the plasma.

The WM8470 is good for sure. I like 1955+ as it is good, cheap and allows optical, coaxial and USB inputs.
I throw in a source: cheapo DVD transport, Computer DVD drive, CAS USB via foobar2000 on downloaded files, all provide me good music listening.
Let us know how you like it if you do have it for plasma TV.

kaushik741
03-20-2013, 10:03 PM
hi Feanor ,

After going thru the review of SMSL SD1955 by yours , I bought a same piece .

just out of the box , it performed well . What I observed that , Its clear but having the gain down by atleast 4 DB. The sound is bit thin ( Bass ) , high are bit rolled off at the end , mid is clear .

I am using Yamaha Receiver RX-V450 with Usher V-601 BS and for source I am Using Pioneer DVD and also Desktop ( Reaktek HD Chipset ) taking the onboard SPDIF .

Peculiarly the sound degrades while I connect to Desktop compared to DVD Digital Out . In Desktop the bass has a mechanic sound seems cracked , High are not so clear , Mid are OK .

To Be noted , that same SPDIF from Desktop when connected to the Receiver Digital-IN , it perform very fine .

Can you please help me by referring OPAMP no. which can help me to upgrade the sound ?

I like a bit of heavy thick lows with balanced mid and high , and a bit of laid back spreaded soundstage .

Does upgrading the capacitors can improve the sound ?

Having a better PSU other than the supplied one can improve the sound ?

In another forum I have seen that the capacitors and OPAMP are changed which soothes the sound .
troca de OpAmp (DAC SMSL SD-1955 rev.B) OP275G - algumas duvidas - Página 2 (http://www.htforum.com/vb/showthread.php/190740-troca-de-OpAmp-%28DAC-SMSL-SD-1955-rev-B%29-OP275G-algumas-duvidas/page2)

In India / Kolkata its bit difficult to get OPAMPs in shop or by Ebay still wanna try that .

I don't have complete electronics knowledge but minor changes if suggested can be done for the DIY purpose .

Feanor
03-21-2013, 03:48 PM
I emailed you on this subject, relying in some detail.

My experience with the SMSL hasn't given rise to the issues you seem to have. On the whole the SMSL sound is well-resolved & transparent but perhaps a bit bright on the top high frequencies, (not at rolled off as you experienced).

I think some of you problems are related to your other equipment.

A well regarded opamp is the OPA2134, but the change will be fairly small. An upgrade power supply might bring more improvement, but in this regard it's as important to have good RFI/EMI filtering as anything else. Capacitor upgrades might yield some improvement but I have no suggestions.

Bear in mind that the SMSL is an inexpensive DAC and I don't think spending a lot of time, effort, or money to upgrade it worthwhile (unless your hobby is electronics).

kaushik741
03-21-2013, 10:18 PM
I emailed you on this subject, relying in some detail.

My experience with the SMSL hasn't given rise to the issues you seem to have. On the whole the SMSL sound is well-resolved & transparent but perhaps a bit bright on the top high frequencies, (not at rolled off as you experienced).

I think some of you problems are related to your other equipment.

A well regarded opamp is the OPA2134, but the change will be fairly small. An upgrade power supply might bring more improvement, but in this regard it's as important to have good RFI/EMI filtering as anything else. Capacitor upgrades might yield some improvement but I have no suggestions.

Bear in mind that the SMSL is an inexpensive DAC and I don't think spending a lot of time, effort, or money to upgrade it worthwhile (unless your hobby is electronics).

Hi Feanor ,

Thanks for the reply and mail . I had also reverted back to your mail .

Just to be clear about the FR/EMI factor , as the PSU is outside the unit shall RF/EMI still can affect the audio output if same PSU is Used .

For OPAMP , did you tested LM 4562 or LME49720 ?

Neither its my hobby or have surplus money and time , but still have a keen knack to have a better output by small changes possible .

I will let the forum know the results what I am testing today .

1. Changing OPAMPs ( dont know which are will be available in market today ).

2. Also change to dedicated sound cards like SB Audigy and Yamaha 744B .

3. Thought of changing the capacitors but the after the above changes .

Regards

Kaushik

Feanor
03-22-2013, 04:57 AM
Hi Feanor ,

Just to be clear about the FR/EMI factor , as the PSU is outside the unit shall RF/EMI still can affect the audio output if same PSU is Used .

Neither its my hobby or have surplus money and time , but still have a keen knack to have a better output by small changes possible .

I will let the forum know the results what I am testing today .

1. Changing OPAMPs ( dont know which are will be available in market today ).

2. Also change to dedicated sound cards like SB Audigy and Yamaha 744B .

3. Thought of changing the capacitors but the after the above changes .

Regards

Kaushik
Kaushik,

See my second email.

I haven't tried the opamps you mentioned; I've only tried the opa2134 and paired opa267's. The latter opamps are very expensive unless you get them from China -- and the Chinese ones are very likely to be counterfeits !!!

a0r0a7
04-21-2013, 06:14 AM
Kaushik,

See my second email.

I haven't tried the opamps you mentioned; I've only tried the opa2134 and paired opa267's. The latter opamps are very expensive unless you get them from China -- and the Chinese ones are very likely to be counterfeits !!!

Hi Feanor

I have not posted in a while but thought I would provide an update on the SMSL SD DAC. I am still loving the sound of this DAC. I have not changed the OP amps as I cannot fault the sound performance but decided to change the power supply. I did some research and found a PSU by Teralink. It was adjustable in voltage to suit the SMSL 9 volt requirement.
See the spec below:

Teralink-X2 / X1 U9VA Linear Low noise Power Supply (230vAC version)

1.EMI AC filter.
2.EI Transformers.
3.CLC Low ripple DC filter.
4.MJE15030 , BC550 low noise linear voltage circuits
5.And high accuracy reference voltage output.
6.STTH8S06 fast diodes.
7.High quality Panasonic FM caps.
8.DC output : 0.25V -9 V adjust ( Default DC 8.5v/1A in no loading for TX2/TX1)
9.AC input :AC 115 or 230V
10.Aluminum body , size is W101 x D115 x H46 mm
11.Aluminum panel.
12.Includes DC cable for connect Teralink - X2 / X1
13.Weight :700g 1pc
14.High level of silent background and detailed sonic performance can be achieve

Now I am not sure if I am suffering from 'I have improved the PSU so the sound must be better' or not. At this early stage in the change of the PSU on the SMSL DAC I am really pleased with the detail and imaging, its fast, open and punchy. I did have to solder the original SMSL PSU cable end to the Teralink PSU cable end to join the two units together checking polarity, + middle - outer at 9v DC. I also had to pop the lid off of the Teralink PSU and adjust the voltage from factory 8.5v to 9v. The Teralink is all aluminium construction and is substantial in weight.

I will continue to listen and update you with my thoughts over prolonged use and advise if there really is a difference with the Teralink PSU + SMSL DAC.

Cheers
Andy

TLCW
05-06-2013, 08:26 AM
I like to join the talk about the cheap SMSL 1955+ DAC.
Every since acquired it in Feb, I am still enjoying it very much. I now use it in my CAS setup via USB port from my Dell desktop. . I like to retain the warranty so I have no plan to swap opamp - though OPA227PG4 is around US$8 from RS Components, H.K. I carefully chose a short RCA and after a week of burn-in, I don't hear the harshness coming from either CAS & Main systems. The manufacturer uses 9VDC adaptor for the newer products quietly as I just bought 1 more for my sitting room main system for some CDR with my Pioneer BD player as transport. The DAC may have the gain been further improved For around US$100. delivered to your door in US, it is a steal.

Feanor
05-06-2013, 08:49 AM
I like to join the talk about the cheap SMSL 1955+ DAC.
Every since acquired it in Feb, I am still enjoying it very much. I now use it in my CAS setup via USB port from my Dell desktop. . I like to retain the warranty so I have no plan to swap opamp - though OPA227PG4 is around US$8 from RS Components, H.K. I carefully chose a short RCA and after a week of burn-in, I don't hear the harshness coming from either CAS & Main systems. The manufacturer uses 9VDC adaptor for the newer products quietly as I just bought 1 more for my sitting room main system for some CDR with my Pioneer BD player as transport. The DAC may have the gain been further improved For around US$100. delivered to your door in US, it is a steal.
I'm glad to hear you're still enjoying the SMSL 1955+. For $100, delivered, it is indeed a steal.

If you inclined to try an opamp swap, I'd say go for it -- if installed properly, i.e. with the correct orientation which is easy to determine, the new opamps won't harm your unit. If you don't care for the sound or you have some other problem for which you want to claim under warranty, just swap back the original opamps. N.B. You will need a dual (two-channel) opamps, so you'd need the OPA2227 version of the OPA227PG4.

In any case for only $60-65 excluding shipping, I personally wouldn't be much concerned about warranty.

TLCW
05-09-2013, 08:34 AM
Feanor: Thanks for advice and notes. I shall order opamp 2227 on my next RS purchase. Only 9 VDC supply, do you agree the mod ?
I like to let you know that SMSL is modifying 1955+ continuously . May be after I notified them about your gain problem earlier through email, they released a higher gain version quietly.

Feanor
05-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Feanor: Thanks for advice and notes. I shall order opamp 2227 on my next RS purchase. Only 9 VDC supply, do you agree the mod ? ...
What mod are you referring too? Yes, SMSL 1955 requires 9 VDC; I assume the 1955+ is the same. One could try a linear, full-regulated AC-input power supply or a battery power supply. Actually, battery power would be interesting: I suppose six 'D' cell cells in series might work, or several 9V batteries in parallel.

... I like to let you know that SMSL is modifying 1955+ continuously . May be after I notified them about your gain problem earlier through email, they released a higher gain version quietly.
My gain problem was only with the USB connection; I had no problem with either S/PDIF input.

TLCW
05-11-2013, 05:45 AM
Feanor:
Adaptor mod - I refer to the post #76 above. Useful ?
SMSL 1955+ has been launched over 1 year , Feb 2012. I had one in Feb 2013 and the 2nd in Apr 2013 with both labelled "1955+". The 2nd one may have the DAC enhanced for a little higher gain than my 1st one ( in 2 months' time.)

keilau
06-01-2013, 04:59 AM
When I first hooked up the SD-1955+ to the Visio TV set S/PDIF output, it was loud static noise only. The problem was solved by switching the output from Dolby Surround 5.1 to PCM.

Do I miss anything using the PCM instead of Dolby Surround? The DAC output is fed through an Adsom GSA-700 in my main audio systme.

Are there a cheap DAC option with native Dolby Surround 5.1 support?

Feanor
06-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Yes, you're correct. The SMSL SD-1955 decodes stereo (2 channel) PCM signals only -- this is the case for almost all audiophile DACs. The SMSL only outputs stereo so you don't get any surround, but the 2 channel sound is just as good quality as Dolby Digital 5.1's.

There are two basic types of Dolby "surround", Dolby Digital and Dolby Prologic. Dolby Digital requires 5.1 channels of discrete input whereas Dolby Prologic synthesizes 5.1 channels from stereo input; in principle you could feed the SMSL's stereo output to a Dolby ProLogic decoder to get synthesized 5.1.

There are relatively inexpensive DACs that decode Dolby Digital but I have no recommendations.

half5777
07-22-2013, 12:35 PM
Hi all,
i'm also interested in the Teralink-X2 / X1 U9VA Linear Low noise Power Supply (230vAC version) for the SMSL 1955+.

what are peoples opinion on it?

thanks

Feanor
07-22-2013, 02:37 PM
Hi all,
i'm also interested in the Teralink-X2 / X1 U9VA Linear Low noise Power Supply (230vAC version) for the SMSL 1955+.

what are peoples opinion on it?

thanks
Do you have a link for that power supply? I might be interested. Many people insist the linear power supplies are superior to switching power supplies.

half5777
07-23-2013, 11:12 PM
http://www.teradak.com/en/product_view.asp?ID=209but i just realised that the polarity is different, can anyone suggest a cheap alternative?

i was thinking about this Amazon.com: Anker Pro 10000mAh Multi-Voltage (5V 9V 12V) Output Portable Power Pack External Battery Charger for iPads, Samsung Tablets (Samsung 30-pin adapter not included), iPhones, Android Smart Phones, Camcoders, Digital Cameras / DV Recorders, P (http://www.amazon.com/Anker-10000mAh-Multi-Voltage-Camcoders-Recorders/dp/B005NGKR54/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374649839&sr=8-2&keywords=anker+10000mahas) batteries are a clean source of power.

what do you think Feanor?

Feanor
07-24-2013, 05:38 AM
[URL]
i was thinking about this Amazon.com: Anker Pro 10000mAh Multi-Voltage (5V 9V 12V) Output Portable Power Pack External Battery Charger for iPads, Samsung Tablets (Samsung 30-pin adapter not included), iPhones, Android Smart Phones, Camcoders, Digital Cameras / DV Recorders, P (http://www.amazon.com/Anker-10000mAh-Multi-Voltage-Camcoders-Recorders/dp/B005NGKR54/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374649839&sr=8-2&keywords=anker+10000mahas) batteries are a clean source of power.

what do you think Feanor?
That Anker Pro device is interesting because -- if I understand it's capabilities -- it provides a battery power source for the attached device, (e.g. an SMSL SD-1955). Battery power, in principle, is the lowest noise power source possible. If you get one, definitely let us know how it works out.

Feanor
07-29-2013, 06:46 AM
Half5777 and others,

I'm linking this thread that casts a lot of doubt on the supposed benefits of battery power for DAC and, also I guess, phono preamps, etc. ...

"Battery driven DACs" at AudioAsylum, see HERE (http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/messages/12/126274.html).

Feanor
07-31-2013, 04:32 AM
Hi Feanor ,

Regards

Kaushik
So I tried replacing the OPA2134 opamps in my SMSL SD-1955 with LME49720's. The LME49720 is a recently, highly touted opamp especially developed for audio applications.

I listened for about 4 hours in total which ought to be enough to burn in a tiny component such as an opamp. My strong impression is that while the LME49720 is sounds transparent, the top highs are far too shrill for my liking -- this might not be the cases with a different downstream amp than my Class D Audio SDS-258. As typical of class D amps, (I'm sure there are exceptions though), the SDS cuts no slack for harsh records or upstream components.

So I wasted no more time listening to the LME49720 and rolled two of the three, i.e. the I/V / gain pair, for my trusty paired OPA627's. Yes, opamps do sound different from each other. The OPA627's are distinctly smoother on the top end and much more listenable at least in combo with my components. I suspect I do loose some resolution and perhaps transparency with the LME49720 though.

I'm thinking the OPA627's are maybe just too smooth and I might go back to the OPA2134's as the best compromise.

By the way, I'm currently using my SMSL SD-1955 because my Schiit Bifrost is back at Schiit Audio being fitted with the Uber Analog upgrade. See the August '13 edition of Stereophile where in the reviewer stated that the Bifrost offered the best value for money of any component he had reviewed.

a0r0a7
08-04-2013, 04:35 AM
So I tried replacing the OPA2134 opamps in my SMSL SD-1955 with LME49720's. The LME49720 is a recently, highly touted opamp especially developed for audio applications.

I listened for about 4 hours in total which ought to be enough to burn in a tiny component such as an opamp. My strong impression is that while the LME49720 is sounds transparent, the top highs are far too shrill for my liking -- this might not be the cases with a different downstream amp than my Class D Audio SDS-258. As typical of class D amps, (I'm sure there are exceptions though), the SDS cuts no slack for harsh records or upstream components.

So I wasted no more time listening to the LME49720 and rolled two of the three, i.e. the I/V / gain pair, for my trusty paired OPA627's. Yes, opamps do sound different from each other. The OPA627's are distinctly smoother on the top end and much more listenable at least in combo with my components. I suspect I do loose some resolution and perhaps transparency with the LME49720 though.

I'm thinking the OPA627's are maybe just too smooth and I might go back to the OPA2134's as the best compromise.

By the way, I'm currently using my SMSL SD-1955 because my Schiit Bifrost is back at Schiit Audio being fitted with the Uber Analog upgrade. See the August '13 edition of Stereophile where in the reviewer stated that the Bifrost offered the best value for money of any component he had reviewed.

Hi Feanor

On the opamp issue I followed your upgrade for the SMSL using the 2134 and 2604. I can honestly say I prefer this improvement in sound, its maybe a little more melow but I am hearing more detail with nice soundstage. This opamp upgrade is staying in place for me. I measured the SMSL case temps using a 3M IR meter and after running the unit for a couple of hours the temp was 28- 32 oC. This is more than acceptable. I have fitted some PC RAM heatsinks to the opamps just to dissipate the heat away from the opamps more effectively. You can buy these from Maplins, they are self adhesive.

The Teralink (Teradak U9VA) power supply has also made a difference. Even before upgrading the opamps the bass sound was the area of improvement, it is tighter with a more defined bassline! I can verify the Teralink U9VA PSU as a good alternative. It is well put together and appears a quality Chinese item like the SMSL.

Cheers
Andy

keilau
08-10-2013, 06:53 PM
How much shall I expect to pay for the OPA2227 in the US? There are so many seller of the opamp on Ebay, how do I know whether I am getting a real one?

Is this a reliable seller? OPA2227P High Precision Low Noise Audio Op Amp OPA2227 | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPA2227P-High-Precision-Low-Noise-Audio-OP-Amp-OPA2227-/160302125574?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2552c05206)

Feanor
08-30-2013, 03:06 AM
How much shall I expect to pay for the OPA2227 in the US? There are so many seller of the opamp on Ebay, how do I know whether I am getting a real one?

Is this a reliable seller? OPA2227P High Precision Low Noise Audio Op Amp OPA2227 | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPA2227P-High-Precision-Low-Noise-Audio-OP-Amp-OPA2227-/160302125574?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2552c05206)

Sorry for my delay in replying.

Personally I would prefer to buy any sort of electronic component from a well-established North American supplier of possible; this way you will be assured that the component is legitimate and not counterfeit. Reputable suppliers ...

Mouser.com, HERE (http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/OPA2227PA/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMutXGli8Ay4kIKSYmYm6QhI%2f5fL%252ba%2 52bhZII%3d)
Newark, HERE (http://canada.newark.com/texas-instruments/opa2227pag4/ic-op-amp-8mhz-2-3v-us-dip-8/dp/99K4072)
DigiKey, HERE (http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/OPA2227PA/OPA2227PA-ND/295551).

keilau
08-31-2013, 02:37 PM
Sorry for my delay in replying.

Personally I would prefer to buy any sort of electronic component from a well-established North American supplier of possible; this way you will be assured that the component is legitimate and not counterfeit. Reputable suppliers ...

Mouser.com, HERE (http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/OPA2227PA/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMutXGli8Ay4kIKSYmYm6QhI%2f5fL%252ba%2 52bhZII%3d)
Newark, HERE (http://canada.newark.com/texas-instruments/opa2227pag4/ic-op-amp-8mhz-2-3v-us-dip-8/dp/99K4072)
DigiKey, HERE (http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/OPA2227PA/OPA2227PA-ND/295551).

It is a good reminder. It would be good if I can order from Newark Electronics and pick up from their local office. But they have a minimum order of 150 pieces. So it does not work.

OPA2227PAG4 - TEXAS INSTRUMENTS - IC, OP-AMP, 8MHZ, 2.3V/ us, DIP | Newark (http://www.newark.com/texas-instruments/opa2227pag4/ic-op-amp-8mhz-2-3v-us-dip-8/dp/99K4072?Ntt=OPA2227PAG4)

Digikey seems to still take order for small quantity. I ordered 2 pieces at under $11. But there is no shipping estimate for the order. I will check later to see if the shipping cost is manageable. Thanks again for the reminder.

keilau
09-03-2013, 10:04 AM
It is a good reminder. It would be good if I can order from Newark Electronics and pick up from their local office. But they have a minimum order of 150 pieces. So it does not work.

OPA2227PAG4 - TEXAS INSTRUMENTS - IC, OP-AMP, 8MHZ, 2.3V/ us, DIP | Newark (http://www.newark.com/texas-instruments/opa2227pag4/ic-op-amp-8mhz-2-3v-us-dip-8/dp/99K4072?Ntt=OPA2227PAG4)

Digikey seems to still take order for small quantity. I ordered 2 pieces at under $11. But there is no shipping estimate for the order. I will check later to see if the shipping cost is manageable. Thanks again for the reminder.

The shipping for the 2 opamp from Digikey turned out to be $4.99 which is for any package less than 1 pound. This worked out very well for me.

The problem with Digikey order is that they cannot provide a shipping estimate before you hit the proceed buttom because it depends on the package weight. And they cannot provide an estimate of the package weight either. From 1.01 pound to 5 pound, the shipping is a flat rate $10.

Feanor
09-03-2013, 05:15 PM
The shipping for the 2 opamp from Digikey turned out to be $4.99 which is for any package less than 1 pound. This worked out very well for me.

The problem with Digikey order is that they cannot provide a shipping estimate before you hit the proceed buttom because it depends on the package weight. And they cannot provide an estimate of the package weight either. From 1.01 pound to 5 pound, the shipping is a flat rate $10.
I'm glad it worked out well from Digikey. Let us know your impression of these opamps.

keilau
09-11-2013, 08:45 PM
I'm glad it worked out well from Digikey. Let us know your impression of these opamps.

I finally got around swaping out the OP275 with the OPA2227. But I am not sure that I like the sound better. It seems to sound boomy as my first impression.

I may swap them a few time before I decide. What would be your first choice opamp that can be obtained from DigiKey?

Feanor
09-14-2013, 09:14 AM
I finally got around swaping out the OP275 with the OPA2227. But I am not sure that I like the sound better. It seems to sound boomy as my first impression.

I may swap them a few time before I decide. What would be your first choice opamp that can be obtained from DigiKey?
Something that ought to give you a very smooth, musical sound would be these pair OPA627's, (the OPA627 is single opamp, unlike the majority which are dual). I replace the two dual opamps at the I/V stage with Chinese-sourced versions and the result was as described; (buffer stage I left with the one LME49720) ...

http://www.partsconnexion.com/media/product/semiconductors/opamp_64358md.jpg

I don't think Digikey, Newark, or Mouser sell them. If you want to be sure they are authentic, you could get them from Parts ConneXion, HERE (http://www.partsconnexion.com/product4269.html).

Or you could try the eBay, such as HERE (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-X-GENUINE-BURR-BROWN-OPA627-TO-SINGLE-DUAL-OPAMP-CONVERTER-/400527704731?pt=US_Amplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item5d414fc29b&_uhb=1), but there is a some risk that they are counterfeit.

keilau
09-14-2013, 09:52 AM
Something that ought to give you a very smooth, musical sound would be these pair OPA627's, (the OPA627 is single opamp, unlike the majority which are dual). I replace the two dual opamps at the I/V stage with Chinese-sourced versions and the result was as described; (buffer stage I left with the one LME49720) ...

http://www.partsconnexion.com/media/product/semiconductors/opamp_64358md.jpg

I don't think Digikey, Newark, or Mouser sell them. If you want to be sure they are authentic, you could get them from Parts ConneXion, HERE (http://www.partsconnexion.com/product4269.html).

Or you could try the eBay, such as HERE (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-X-GENUINE-BURR-BROWN-OPA627-TO-SINGLE-DUAL-OPAMP-CONVERTER-/400527704731?pt=US_Amplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item5d414fc29b&_uhb=1), but there is a some risk that they are counterfeit.

Wow!! $110 (for 2) vs. $18 from Hong Kong. I think that I will take an Ebay chance. Thank you for the links again.

I have only one signal source for the DAC now which is the low quality cable TV. Most channel, including the music channels, has so compressed signal that the stock OP275 sounds ok. After failing with the OPA2227, I wonder why I bother.

Any other experience with the OPA2227? Why does it sound boomy? Or it is just my system?

Feanor
09-14-2013, 11:21 AM
Wow!! $110 (for 2) vs. $18 from Hong Kong. I think that I will take an Ebay chance. Thank you for the links again.

I have only one signal source for the DAC now which is the low quality cable TV. Most channel, including the music channels, has so compressed signal that the stock OP275 sounds ok. After failing with the OPA2227, I wonder why I bother.

Any other experience with the OPA2227? Why does it sound boomy? Or it is just my system?
I've never heard the OPA2227.

I've tried the SD-1955 with three OPA2134; this was a very small improvement over the OPA275. As mentioned earlier, I tried three LME49720's: the sound was very well resolved but also very bright with my class D amp, (might complement a warmer sounding amp, though). The best sound I've had is two twined Chinese-sourced OPA627's, plus a LME49720 in the output position.

keilau
09-14-2013, 07:36 PM
I've never heard the OPA2227.

I've tried the SD-1955 with three OPA2134; this was a very small improvement over the OPA275. As mentioned earlier, I tried three LME49720's: the sound was very well resolved but also very bright with my class D amp, (might complement a warmer sounding amp, though). The best sound I've had is two twined Chinese-sourced OPA627's, plus a LME49720 in the output position.

I picked up the idea of the OPA2227 in posts exchanges between you and TLCW in May. I mistakenly thought that you recommended it.

I don't know how the Chinese sources can sell the OPA627 so cheap. I went to DigiKey to check their price. A pair of OPA627 needed to replace one OP275 will cost $50 at DigiKey. I will need 4 for the SMSL1955 which is pricier than the DAC itself!!

I ordered the OPA627 with the single to dual adapter from this Ebay seller (http://www.ebay.com/itm/130938949909?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649).

keilau
10-14-2013, 07:49 PM
I picked up the idea of the OPA2227 in posts exchanges between you and TLCW in May. I mistakenly thought that you recommended it.

I don't know how the Chinese sources can sell the OPA627 so cheap. I went to DigiKey to check their price. A pair of OPA627 needed to replace one OP275 will cost $50 at DigiKey. I will need 4 for the SMSL1955 which is pricier than the DAC itself!!

I ordered the OPA627 with the single to dual adapter from this Ebay seller (http://www.ebay.com/itm/130938949909?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649).

I made a mistake. Those are single OpAmp, not the dual. It took 3 weeks to ship. I am giving up and will go back to the OP275.

Feanor
10-15-2013, 06:08 AM
I made a mistake. Those are single OpAmp, not the dual. It took 3 weeks to ship. I am giving up and will go back to the OP275.

Ah! That ad is confusing although the when one looks closely, it's clear enough that all the adopter does is convert a single surface-mount to DIP. What we actually want is TWO surface-mounts convert to a single DIP; (these are available). The extreme cheapness of these Chinese OPA627 makes me suspect that they are counterfeits but the ones I have work well just the same.

keilau
11-22-2013, 10:16 AM
Does anyone have an opinion on how ES9023 compared to the SD1955?

In Case ES9023 TE7022 192K 24bit USB DAC Coaxial Fiber DAC 110V or 220V | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/190833666152?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_4751wt_866)

Price is comparable. This ES9023 box uses internal power supply.

peterBj
11-29-2013, 05:07 AM
I have an expensive RME fire face and an very cheap Behringer Dac UCA 200.
I do not think I can tell the difference when playing back through my Sound Devices HP amp.
Is there a DAC blindfold A/B test?

Feanor
11-29-2013, 07:03 AM
I have an expensive RME fire face and an very cheap Behringer Dac UCA 200.
I do not think I can tell the difference when playing back through my Sound Devices HP amp.
Is there a DAC blindfold A/B test?
I have no experience with any of these components.

As for a blindfold test, there has been endless debate about the validity and relevance of so-call "DBT" -- double blind testing. In my opinion, scientifically rigorous testing is not necessary for practical purposes in audio.

It's sufficient that the 'A' and 'B' that the components being compared are the only ones that are different, and that the listener is completely unaware of which of the component he/she is listening until several trials (listenings) have are completed.

a0r0a7
12-31-2013, 03:25 PM
Ah! That ad is confusing although the when one looks closely, it's clear enough that all the adopter does is convert a single surface-mount to DIP. What we actually want is TWO surface-mounts convert to a single DIP; (these are available). The extreme cheapness of these Chinese OPA627 makes me suspect that they are counterfeits but the ones I have work well just the same.

I have now replaced the opa2134(s) with opa2107(s) in my sd1955+ DAC. The opa2107(s) are not cheap but not as expensive as the opa627, in the Uk £30 for two opa2107 from RS Components. I can advise that the opa2107(s) have given the sd1955+ a more natural detailed sound. The bass is more defined but not quite as deep as the opa2134(s) sounded. The highs are sweet the midrange very much the same. I can also tell an improvement in the soundstage a little, its wider.

To sum up my SMSL SD1955+ is now as far as I wish to upgrade, I am very pleased with the results. Some might say upgrading the power supply (Teradak 9VA) and OpAmps (2 opa2107, 1 opa2604) is false economy and they are most likely right but I have enjoyed the tweaking exercise and improvements along the way :yesnod:

cheers
Andy

HAPPY 2014 :3:

Feanor
12-31-2013, 06:26 PM
I have now replaced the opa2134(s) with opa2107(s) in my sd1955+ DAC. The opa2107(s) are not cheap but not as expensive as the opa627, in the Uk £30 for two opa2107 from RS Components. I can advise that the opa2107(s) have given the sd1955+ a more natural detailed sound. The bass is more defined but not quite as deep as the opa2134(s) sounded. The highs are sweet the midrange very much the same. I can also tell an improvement in the soundstage a little, its wider.

To sum up my SMSL SD1955+ is now as far as I wish to upgrade, I am very pleased with the results. Some might say upgrading the power supply (Teradak 9VA) and OpAmps (2 opa2107, 1 opa2604) is false economy and they are most likely right but I have enjoyed the tweaking exercise and improvements along the way :yesnod:

cheers
Andy

HAPPY 2014 :3:
Happy New Year to you too, Andy

Yes, the opamp swapping exercise was a lot of fun and a good deal cheaper than, say, swapping interconnect cables. With more discernible results too I'd say.

roclite
02-21-2014, 05:45 PM
Hi all,

I have been following this thread with interest and hope i can contribute something to the discussion.

I purchased my first SMSL SD1955+ over a year ago and intended to use it in USB INPUT mode with a Samsung NC10 netbook (Windows XP)/external HDD as a music server. I experienced lots of problems connecting the SD1955+ USB to the netbook,
it was not reliable and would often crash when I was using my preferred audio player WINAMP. When it did work, it sounded really good and I agree with other reviewers comments here that for £70 ($100) it is very good value and has a sound quality that is worthy of a DAC several times the price. Anyway, the regular system crashes finally got to me and I moth-balled the SD1955+ until I could upgrade my netbook.

Fast forward a year later and I have finally replaced the Samsung with an Acer Aspire One running Windows 7 Ultimate. Even better, the Windows 7 has a proper device driver and the SMSL is recognised as "SMSL SD1955+" and works perfectly! No unexplained audio drop-outs and computer crashes!

OK, the tweaker in me got the better of me and I did a bit of op-amp substitution, replacing the JRC5532 output buffer with a selection before finally choosing the LM4562. It sounded better - better sound stage, top-end and tighter bass. I kept the other two I/V converter op-amps (OP275) the same. Intrigued by this apparent beneficial change, I looked more closely at the DAC to see if there was room for further improvement. An obvious area is the +9V SMPSU. Why would the manufacturer of a high quality DAC compromise its quality with a cheap, noisy switching power supply? To answer that question, I coupled a linear +12V DC supply to a very basic hand-made LM317K linear regulator, output DC adjusted to 9V. The results were very impressive sound-wise, and I can only agree with other reviewers that the SD1955+ sound is much improved, mostly by the marked reduction in digital "hash" appearing on the analogue output signals.

At about the same time, I was trawling on eBay and spotted an SMSL SD1955 (the original, first version) starting at £28 in auction. No-one else bid, so I got it for that price :-) . The specification of the original SD1955 looks better on paper (more dynamic range and lower distortion) but there is another significant difference - it comes complete with a linear 24VDC supply instead of the cheap, nasty 9V supply provided with the SD1955+. On listening tests, it did sound very good but not markedly better than the SD1955+. I popped open the lid and found there were 3 off OP275 fitted (not sure if it was tweaked by previous owner or if that was factory build) and so I substituted the output buffer for an LM4562, so I could compare the two DAC's in the same configuration. The result was pretty impressive - before the op-amp swap, the bass had been quite boomy and the top-end very muted and thin. After the swap, it sounded more like the SD1955+ but to my ears so much cleaner and musical. I could not resist opening up the SD1955 power supply case and not surprisingly found a hefty transformer, PSU capacitor and an LM317T regulator on a heatsink - quelle surpris! So, the moral of the story (if there is one) is that it would appear that SMSL manufacturer has probably compromised the performance of this lovely little DAC over the past few years for purely commercial reasons, cheap (and lightweight!) SMPSU versus low noise linear regulator (heavy, so increased overseas postal charges) and cheap, low-cost (even by Chinese standards) op-amps.

I hope I have added something informative to this thread. Keep on listening to that lovely (when sympathetically modded!) DAC. :-)

roclite

Feanor
02-23-2014, 04:59 AM
Hi all,

I have been following this thread with interest and hope i can contribute something to the discussion.
roclite
Yes indeed, roclite,

You comments are very interesting indeed, and welcome to AR Forums.

My original recommendation for the SD-1955 was for S/PDIF only, specifically coaxial connection. I found the USB connection unsatisfactory.

I have documented my opamp substitutions above in this thread. The smoothest had dual OPA627's in the I/V stage; (or they were from China so maybe they were counterfeit, but they work pretty well).

I always used the power supply that originally came with the SD-1955 that is a SMPS, so I have no experience with linear supplies. There is a school of thought that SMPS are actually better with DACs of the modestly price variety, but I don't recall the explanation which beyond my limited technical understanding.

roclite
02-24-2014, 06:34 AM
Thanks for warm welcome Feanor.

I was just happy that I quickly found a sound component combination that I am very happy to listen to and engages me with my music. I was surprised at the difference in tonal quality of my sound system by making a few simple component substitutions. OK, not that simple if I had to replace the SMSL DAC with the original 2010 version. The OPA627 might offer some further improvements but probably a bit too pricey for my budget. As to why you would want to connect a high frequency "switching" mode power supply to a low noise digital-analog amplifier (the DAC), I would probably think that a linear PSU has intuitively less additional noise that can find its way onto the analog outputs. Maybe the school of thought that a SMPS is better with cheaper DAC's is that the additional switching noise generated in effect competes with the digital noise produced by the DAC itself to mask the amplitude of certain dominant noise frequencies. I really don't know either :-). Suffice it to say, the early adopters who bought the first version of the SD-1955 were the lucky ones who bought a really nice sweet sounding, well-designed piece of audio kit. As for the second version SD-1955+ and probably its latest incarnation, the "Sanskrit", the performance has already been compromised for commercial reasons in my opinion. I hope other people like me get lucky on eBay.

roclite

Feanor
02-24-2014, 08:43 AM
I need clarify that the SD-1955 that I have, (which is not labelled SD-1955+), came with the 9VDC 2.0 amp SMPS, not the the 24V linear supply. So it seems that some changes were made before labelling was changed to the latter designation.

Nowadays I'm using a Schiit Audio Bifrost DAC with Uber analog upgrade. It is more transparent and airy than the SMSL but, of course, several times as expensive. I still believe the SMSL SD-1955, and probably also its successors, are great value for very little money.

roclite
02-27-2014, 10:24 AM
I agree that the SD-1955+ is a very good DAC and if I had not stumbled across its predecessor, the original version SD-1955, I might have been very satisfied. It does appear that SMSL quietly made several changes or "upgrades" to the design from the first version. Whether these changes enhanced the sound of the DAC is a matter of opinion. I attempted to make the SD-1955+ sound like the SD-1955 by replacing the supplied 9V, 1.5A SMPS with a home-brew LM317K regulator powered by a Stontronics 12V linear regulated PSU (14W).
I also followed your lead by using the S/PDIF Coax output from my NAD C542 CD Player. It does sound very good, and the more I listen to it the more I like it. However, when I switch to the original SD-1955 with its 24VDC regulated supply, I am listening to a different DAC. The sound-stage is wider with far more depth, instruments and vocals are much more precise with greater clarity, without being clinical. I can hear the percussion of instruments as well as the resonance. I am hanging off every note waiting for more. By comparison, the SD-1955+ just sounds good. I am now happily re-discovering over 7000 tracks from my HDD music collection. The newer SD-1955+ may shortly appear on eBay as I don't need 2 DAC's. I will leave the last words to the eBay seller who sold me the SD-1955 DAC, "older better version" as he described in his listing. He knew too. Thanks for giving your insight to this discussion.

Feanor
02-27-2014, 10:55 AM
Very interesting, roclite,

There might have some change to the SD-1955 prior to the introduction of the SD-1955+. My SD-1955 (if such it is) looks like the SD-1955+ on the left of the first picture even though it is labelled SD-1955; also, as mentioned, the power supply that came with it is the 9 VDC SMPS variety.

Possibly my SD-1955 is actually the SD-1955+ before the maker got around to correcting the model number -- who knows? Anyway, I'm keeping my SD-1955 (+ or whatever) as a backup for my latest DAC.

roclite
03-01-2014, 04:34 AM
Feanor, you are probably correct and you have SD-1955+ electronics in an SD-1955 labelled case. From experience, Chinese Quality Assurance leaves a lot to be desired and lots of different versions of the "SD-1955" probably exist with different op-amp configurations and other key components, depending on the actual manufacturer, not necessarily SMSL :-) i.e. the manufacture may be sub-contracted out to other Chinese electronics manufacturers. This probably explains much of the variability in other SD-1955 users listening experiences.

For the benefit of others who might be reading this thread, it would appear that the original SMSL SD-1955 with 24V PSU may still be available direct from some Chinese suppliers as opposed to the newer revisions currently being sold on UK/USA eBay and Amazon:

Smsl Sd-1955 Dir9001 Ad1955 Dac Optical Coaxial Decoder & Power Adapter - Buy Optical Coaxial Decoder & Power Adapter,Digital Audio Decoder,Digital Amplifier Product on Alibaba.com (http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/smsl-sd-1955-dir9001-ad1955-dac_600382261.html)

If nothing else, the internal pictures serve to show that there are considerable differences in the design, layout and components on the circuit boards. Therefore, you might expect them to sound different, because they are.

kaushik741
03-13-2014, 03:47 AM
Hi all ,

Unfortunately the DAC is now powering on but not emitting any sound output .

I mailed couple of times to smsl<wbr style="color: rgb(119, 119, 119); font-family: 'normal arial', sans-serif; font-size: 12px;">@smsl-audio.com m about the problem but there is zero response from them , not even a auto mailer .

Local technician told the DAC chip gone bad and its tough to get it in Kolkata .

Chinese are imitating good but I believe the components are 3rd grade and protection circuits are not there .

Too much disappointed with the failure and behavior of the manufacturer .

Regards
Kaushik

Feanor
03-13-2014, 04:10 AM
Hi all ,

Unfortunately the DAC is now powering on but not emitting any sound output .

I mailed couple of times to smsl<wbr style="color: rgb(119, 119, 119); font-family: 'normal arial', sans-serif; font-size: 12px;">@smsl-audio.com m about the problem but there is zero response from them , not even a auto mailer .

Local technician told the DAC chip gone bad and its tough to get it in Kolkata .

Chinese are imitating good but I believe the components are 3rd grade and protection circuits are not there .

Too much disappointed with the failure and behavior of the manufacturer .

Regards
Kaushik
I have no useful advice, unfortunately. Support for products bought from Chinese is poor to non-existent, which we need to understand before we buy from there. Could be you'll just have to order another one or some other DAC.

roclite
03-14-2014, 06:14 AM
hi Kaushik,

Assume you have done the usual fault-finding process and checked all 3 inputs (S/PDIF, OPTICAL, USB) and verified your amp is OK. In that case, either DAC or power supply/standby circuit feeding the DAC - the Power LED being lit does not tell you much. Its a cheap audio DAC from China, not part of a human life support system :-). Probably not worth trying to fix, unless you happen to have the proper surface-mount repair tools. As Feanor said, just buy another one or really blow your budget and buy a better quality Schiit Bifrost Uber like me :-)

keilau
03-17-2014, 06:45 AM
I have no useful advice, unfortunately. Support for products bought from Chinese is poor to non-existent, which we need to understand before we buy from there. Could be you'll just have to order another one or some other DAC.

The performance per price ratio of Chinese electronics is hard to resist. I have had good luck the last few time. I live in the US. I buy the Chinese electronics only from Ebay seller that provide reasonably good protection in DOA parts. Extended warranty? Forget it.

muralikundoli
06-24-2014, 12:16 AM
help please ,

im using smsl 1955+ dac

my amp is akai aa39, pc win 8

dac is connected to the computer using usb cable..

while playing music, when i power off the amplifier (only amp), the dac stop working, showing like it stuck (or in a loop like state) , in the window play back device list......also the winamp shows the same , stuck!! no sound when switching on amp back...TOTALLY STUCk

only way i find is to power off/on the Dac, or in the play back device list in windows , just disable and then enable the DAC device , it will work ..

any USB driver update available

Help please

Feanor
06-24-2014, 06:03 AM
help please ,

im using smsl 1955+ dac

my amp is akai aa39, pc win 8

dac is connected to the computer using usb cable..

while playing music, when i power off the amplifier (only amp), the dac stop working, showing like it stuck (or in a loop like state) , in the window play back device list......also the winamp shows the same , stuck!! no sound when switching on amp back...TOTALLY STUCk

only way i find is to power off/on the Dac, or in the play back device list in windows , just disable and then enable the DAC device , it will work ..

any USB driver update available

Help please
Hello, welcome to AR Forums.

It is strange that turning off only the would should cause the DAC to stop working -- actually it's your computer music player that stops working, not the DAC itself.

The SMSL uses only the standard Windows USB audio device although this really should not be a problem. If your computer has S/PDIF output, either coax or optical, try that. If not try one of the music player tweaks below; I believe that Winap and some other players will accommodate either of them. Also, in principle the either of the following ought to improve the sound though they might -- or might not -- fix your particular problem

Try a WASAPI plug-in. WASAPI simplifies the sounds' path from the player to USB or S/PDIF output versus Window's standard "audio stack" interface. When installed, you would select it as the output device in your music player

Along the same lines you might try using ASIO4ALL, (see HERE (http://www.asio4all.com/)), which also replaces the standard Windows audio stack with a simpler path to audio output, either USB or S/PDIF.

muralikundoli
06-24-2014, 06:41 AM
thanks for the reply....
winamp and VLC showing the same problem let me check other software..
i just found that disturbance in the main (AC) Supply, ie, devices plug and unplug causing the same problem..

it working good when using Optical input (sony Tv/DVD player), but my pc
doesn't have optical out..

i need PC to play my wav or flac files ( i Have large collection)

Feanor
06-24-2014, 08:00 AM
thanks for the reply....
winamp and VLC showing the same problem let me check other software..
i just found that disturbance in the main (AC) Supply, ie, devices plug and unplug causing the same problem..

it working good when using Optical input (sony Tv/DVD player), but my pc
doesn't have optical out..

i need PC to play my wav or flac files ( i Have large collection)
I'm wondering why it is that you need to turn off you amp while you computer music player is still running? If you shut down your music player then switch off the amp, then when you turn on the amp back on and then start your music player, is the playback still frozen?

muralikundoli
06-24-2014, 07:59 PM
You are right...but
the amplifier is 200-250w
i need to pause movie or music some times..
each time i need a re start (it required a stop and play from beginning)

computer will be on for morning to night..

amplifiers im using in home are akai aa39, akai AM u 41 (x2), maratz pm225, akai 4.1, creative etc. (power consuming things)

now im going to do like .. PC hdmi - media-player optical - smsl - amplifier

Thank you -----------------

keilau
09-08-2014, 06:24 PM
I moved an older LCD TV (LG Model DU-37LZ30) to my main audio setup. The TV has only SPDIF Toslink in DTS format without option for PCM. It generates only white noise on the SMSL SD-1955 DAC. What is a good DAC that takes DTS/AC-3 signal?

Cheap = $100 or less.
Good = SD1955 level of performance or better.

Any link to the review or forum post is appreciated.

keilau
09-10-2014, 05:02 AM
I tried a Filo D07. It works but I found the sound quality awful. I do not expect real high fidelity from TV sound, just reasonable. In that sense, the Filo is very different from a quality DAC such as the SMSL SD-1955.

I have been spoiled by the SMSL SD-1955 and am looking for something comparable in sound quality. It is hard to believe that there is no reasonably priced DAC with good sound that can handle DTS.

But it is NOT easy to find. I have a Tianyun Zero DAC that sounds really good, but is PCM only too. I use it with my computer setup.

keilau
09-10-2014, 05:03 AM
I tried a Filo D07. It works, but I found the sound quality awful. I do not expect real high fidelity from TV sound, just reasonable. In that sense, the Filo is very different from a quality DAC such as the SMSL SD-1955.

I have been spoiled by the SMSL SD-1955 and am looking for something comparable in sound quality. It is hard to believe that there is no reasonably priced DAC with good sound that can handle DTS.

But it is NOT easy to find. I have a Tianyun Zero DAC that sounds really good, but is PCM only too. I use it with my computer setup.

gidihubbert
10-11-2014, 11:53 PM
Feanor, you are probably correct and you have SD-1955+ electronics in an SD-1955 labelled case. From experience, Chinese Quality Assurance leaves a lot to be desired and lots of different versions of the "SD-1955" probably exist with different op-amp configurations and other key components, depending on the actual manufacturer, not necessarily SMSL :-) i.e. the manufacture may be sub-contracted out to other Chinese electronics manufacturers. This probably explains much of the variability in other SD-1955 users listening experiences.

For the benefit of others who might be reading this thread, it would appear that the original SMSL SD-1955 with 24V PSU may still be available direct from some Chinese suppliers as opposed to the newer revisions currently being sold on UK/USA eBay and Amazon:

Smsl Sd-1955 Dir9001 Ad1955 Dac Optical Coaxial Decoder & Power Adapter - Buy Optical Coaxial Decoder & Power Adapter,Digital Audio Decoder,Digital Amplifier Product on Alibaba.com (http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/smsl-sd-1955-dir9001-ad1955-dac_600382261.html)

If nothing else, the internal pictures serve to show that there are considerable differences in the design, layout and components on the circuit boards. Therefore, you might expect them to sound different, because they are.

Hi all,

I've been reading this very interesting post for a couple of days now and thank you all for the very valuable information :)

I have found the above early version recommended by roclite here:

Freeshipping SD 1955 DIR9001 AD1955 DAC Audio Decoder EG5032-in Integrated Circuits from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Freeshipping-SD-1955-DIR9001-AD1955-DAC-Audio-Decoder/506918924.html)

but it only supports up to 24/96 sample rate as opposed to the upgraded(?) Sanskrit version available both on aliexpress and ebay for about the same price which supports 24/192.

Which one do you think I should I go for?

Also, how would this DAC compare to the Schiit Modi?

gidihubbert
10-12-2014, 12:02 AM

Hi all,

I've been reading this very interesting post for a couple of days now and thank you all for the very valuable information :)

Freeshipping SD 1955 DIR9001 AD1955 DAC Audio Decoder EG5032-in Integrated Circuits from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Freeshipping-SD-1955-DIR9001-AD1955-DAC-Audio-Decoder/506918924.html)

but it only supports up to 24/96 sample rate as opposed to the upgraded(?) Sanskrit version available both on aliexpress and ebay for about the same price which supports 24/192.

Feanor
10-12-2014, 04:41 AM
Hi all,

I have heard neither the early version SMSL SD1955 nor the Sanskrit, only the later version 1955 with the wall-wart power supply. I have owned the Schitt Modi subsequently.

The current version of the Modi is available EITHER in USB-only OR optical Toslink-only forms: you have to choose up front. My Modi certainly sounded different from the SMSL 1955 I owned. The sound was "fuller", a bit more forward, and maybe a bit warmer in the mid-range; it was smoother in the top highs but offered no better, if as good, resolution; the bass was similar as I recall. The Modi is made in the USA. Assuming the other SMSL's mentioned above are a similar sound to the later-version 1955 I owned, the choice between them and the Modi is a matter of associated equipment and personal taste. However I suspect a majority of people will prefer the Modi's fuller, slightly warmer sound.

gidihubbert
10-13-2014, 10:17 PM

Hi all,

Also, how does this (these?) DAC compare to the Schiit Modi?

gidihubbert
10-13-2014, 10:22 PM

Hi all,

Also, how does this DAC compare to the Schiit Modi?

gidihubbert
10-19-2014, 02:19 AM

Hi all,

Also, how does this DAC compare to the Schiit Modi?

JoeE SP9
10-20-2014, 05:50 AM
I've been trying to look at page 6 of this thread and it won't allow it!!!!

Feanor
11-20-2014, 12:23 PM
I tried a Filo D07. It works but I found the sound quality awful. I do not expect real high fidelity from TV sound, just reasonable. In that sense, the Filo is very different from a quality DAC such as the SMSL SD-1955.

The Schiit Audio Loki has DSD64 for $150, however it does ONLY DSD.