Small but very long throw [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Small but very long throw

Joe_Carr
05-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Can a 2in speaker that has a high excursion or long throw voice coil with a long tube make good low end like a 4inch or 5inch woofer? Basicly the Sony SRS-ZX1 is a 2in but has super long throw voice coil with a long tube like duct.

harley .guy07
05-10-2011, 06:28 AM
It really depends on the design of the enclosure and the driver. Nothing in the sizes you are referring to are going to move a lot of air and they would have to be long through in order to do anything in the lower frequencies but I have seen some woofer drivers in those sizes made for custom installations where room is tight and you could probably get descent response from them in a small area or in a custom made enclosure but like I said getting to move a lot of air is going to working against their small size.

Hyfi
05-10-2011, 06:47 AM
Can a 2in speaker that has a high excursion or long throw voice coil with a long tube make good low end like a 4inch or 5inch woofer? Basicly the Sony SRS-ZX1 is a 2in but has super long throw voice coil with a long tube like duct.

Are you hooking these up to your receiver? The Sony SRS-ZX1 are PC speakers with deep bass as the downside as per reviews.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2291511,00.asp

And, as we have been telling you for 4 years now, these are all just toys not meant to reproduce music properly, just for low level background music from a PC.

bobsticks
05-10-2011, 12:14 PM
Long tubes can reproduce bass frequencies with outstanding musicality and clarity. I recommend you invest in some of these:

http://www.stereomojo.com/KR%20Audio%20Kronzilla%20SX1%20Mk%20II%20Review/images/tube.png

TheHills44060
05-15-2011, 08:36 AM
haha nice one Bob..and i thought 300B's were big!

From what i have seen those smallish speakers can produce some bass depending on enclosure but mostly one note type of stuff and are not very useful.

JoeE SP9
05-16-2011, 12:12 AM
I believe that's a transmitter tube. The kind that's used in 50,000 Watt or more TV and radio transmitters.

RGA: I don't think they are used in single ended mode.:D