Would you wear Seal Team 6 Gear? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Would you wear Seal Team 6 Gear?

Worf101
05-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Every military clothing outfitter I know is rushing or allowing pre-ordering of Seal Team 6 gear. I personally have plenty of Army Tee's and some Tuskegee Gear, but I wouldn't wear anything emblazoned with an active duty unit I didn't serve in. The Airmen no longer exists, and I'm obviously too young to have flown with them. This stuff is different. Would you wear it?

Worf

markw
05-10-2011, 03:52 AM
...I wouldn't wear anything emblazoned with an active duty unit I didn't serve in. Agree 100%

Even further, when I got out of the service in the early 70's, young kids draped in military gear and talking the talk as if they served, which they didn't. used to disgust me. ...still does.

I feel the same about the NYFD/PD gear that's become popular since 9/11

bobsticks
05-10-2011, 04:17 AM
Agree 100%

Even further, when I got out of the service in the 70's, young kids draped in military gear and talking the talk as if they served, which they didn't. used to disgust me. ...still does.

I feel the same about the NYFD/PD gear that's become popular since 9/11

Yup yup to the sentiments of both these gentlemen. Wearing them would be disrespectful and IMO a false statement of accoomplishment or association.

I extend this line of thinking to hi-end consumer products as well. Every once in a while you'll see see some douchebag wearing a Porsche hat while climbing into a Monte Carlo...harharhar...duuuude. Pathetic.

JohnMichael
05-10-2011, 05:40 AM
I agree with the previous comments. I have not served my country as a member of the military. I would not wear anything that might lead someone to believe I served. Of course I am from the days when they did ask and I would have told. Oh and I am so far from a Seal when it comes to physical fitness that I would be better off wearing walrus gear.

recoveryone
05-10-2011, 08:30 AM
authentic gear is a no no, But I could see T-shirts with "I support our troops" and so on. I agree with you Worf, I could not even see myself wearing gear from the Tuskegee group, for I never served in the Air Force. I would like to get something for my Dad he's a 20yr USAF. I would like to find something from the Montford point Marines (First Black Marines). Believe me the Navy will ride this horse all the way to the bank:

Recruitment and Extra funding

Funny how that story about the new stealth helo got hushed up real fast. lucky no one got a pic of one. just like back in Panama when they first used the F117, the only reason they fessed up cuz someone got a pic of one.

bobsticks
05-10-2011, 12:02 PM
I would like to get something for my Dad he's a 20yr USAF. I would like to find something from the Montford point Marines (First Black Marines). :

http://www.mpma28.com/page/page/3125770.htm

recoveryone
05-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Thanks Sticks, I have been to there official web site, but they do not offer much of anything to buy.

thekid
05-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Worf
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Living here in Virginia Beach the home of several SEAL teams and a large military population it would not be a good move to go around here wearing gear of active units.

In many cases there are auxillaries set up by the wives and friends of active units which sell memorabilia and merchandise associated with specific units. Sales of items by these groups almost always goes 100% to the support of active military, their families or veterans. As SEAL team 6 is not acknowledged to exist, anyone or any group that is selling anything that reportedly goes to members of the team or their families is running a scam.

If you want to show your support of the military or veterans there are plenty of groups and organizations who are doing great work in this area. It would be a better use of your money than buying knock off gear/clothing.

Just my 2 cents.....

kexodusc
05-10-2011, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't wear it for fashion purposes, but I don't see the big deal. I'm sure the real cats aren't so superficial to take offence, and probably have some cool super secret official swag available to members only anyway.

LeRoy
05-10-2011, 04:55 PM
authentic gear is a no no, But I could see T-shirts with "I support our troops" and so on. I agree with you Worf, I could not even see myself wearing gear from the Tuskegee group, for I never served in the Air Force. I would like to get something for my Dad he's a 20yr USAF. I would like to find something from the Montford point Marines (First Black Marines). Believe me the Navy will ride this horse all the way to the bank:

Recruitment and Extra funding

Funny how that story about the new stealth helo got hushed up real fast. lucky no one got a pic of one. just like back in Panama when they first used the F117, the only reason they fessed up cuz someone got a pic of one.

I've never served in the armed forces and would not even think of wearing authentic armed forces gear. Showing T-shirt support messages or other support is the way I'd prefer.

markw
05-11-2011, 07:31 AM
I wouldn't wear it for fashion purposes, but I don't see the big deal. I'm sure the real cats aren't so superficial to take offence, and probably have some cool super secret official swag available to members only anyway.Click here (http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20110511/US.SEAL.Sleuths/).

Now, wearing stuff that says something like "I Support Whatever" is a different story.

recoveryone
05-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Yea, Mark, I just read a story about a Pastor in PA that got busted lying about being a Seal member.

thekid
05-11-2011, 04:59 PM
I would not put posing or falsifying a resume in the same category as wearing gear but I would agree that someone who has not earned the right to wear the gear is not looked at warmly by the military community. When we were kids it was okay to wear some of my Dad's unis and we even had Sharpshooter medals but we were kids. Around the bases we lived in, once someone got to the age in which they could serve no one walked around in any gear - not even combat boots. May be that was extreme but it was what it was.

Kex-I know you might not consider it a big deal but military apparel is not exactly like wearing the jersey of your favorite sports team. Most people wearing sports gear are not mistaken for members of that team. Nor do athletes normally go around wearing their uniforms in everyday public settings. That is not the case with military personnel who routinely wear their uniforms in public. Even if the people wearing the gear are not passing themselve off in public as members of these units some people may be confused and the wearers may be tempted to take advantage of that confusion.

Feanor
05-12-2011, 02:50 AM
No, but then I avoid T-shirts and any sort of garments that have a logo or slogan. It's kinda hard, though, to avoid the Nike "swoosh", or the like, on sports shoes or ball caps.

bobsticks
05-14-2011, 02:08 PM
No, but then I avoid T-shirts and any sort of garments that have a logo or slogan. It's kinda hard, though, to avoid the Nike "swoosh", or the like, on sports shoes or ball caps.

Bill...god bless your heart, you always remind me of the onomatopoetic appropriateness of the word "frumpy". :biggrin5:

Jim Eck
05-14-2011, 04:32 PM
If you want to wear the gear it is available, see your local recruiter, they will see that you are properly outfitted.

Jim

Feanor
05-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Bill...god bless your heart, you always remind me of the onomatopoetic appropriateness of the word "frumpy". :biggrin5:
Oh yeah -- or "grumpy" -- or "dumpy" for that matter. :arf:

Feanor
05-16-2011, 04:20 AM
The Lands'End catalog is my fashion creed, 'Sticks. :9:

Hyfi
05-26-2011, 05:34 AM
http://www.popeater.com/2011/05/26/disney-withdraws-seal-team-6-trademark-bid/

The Navy wasn't too happy about it...