Coheed & Cambria/In Keeping Secrets Of... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Coheed & Cambria/In Keeping Secrets Of...

DPM
04-12-2004, 09:41 PM
...Silent Earth: 3.

Well, a short while back someone requested that I write about this recording once I'd given it a few spins. Here we go.

Coheed & Cambria are a progressive rock four piece that pumps out a punchy, guitar heavy brand of music that sets the foot a tappin'. Though I wouldn't label their material prog metal, the guitars are definitley to the fore. The best way to describe the band is they sound like a poppier version of Rush circa late 70's/early 80's. There music is very kinetic and upbeat, and the singer has a voice similar to that of Geddy Lee.

Still, Coheed & Cambria aren't derivative. They do put a good bit of themselves into the mix. For instance, although the vocalist sounds like Geddy he doesn't try to cop him in any way. You'll hear no glass shattering shrieks, and he doesn't push his voice to the limit like Geddy used to do back in the day. Once in a while he'll do a growl or add some rasp, but all-in-all he's very much a singer who follows his own path.

As for their music, the Rush influence is just that. An influence. I also hear a bit of Iron Maiden, but just a bit. If you are a fan of either band, I think Coheed & Cambria may be worth your time. Though the band falls under the prog banner, some of the tunes on In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3 are fairly straight forward rockers with a minimum of wankery. But when these guys prog out, they do it convincingly. And they emphasize the ROCK in prog. Your toe WILL tap.

Now, if I had to pick out any weakness in the band's arsenal, it would be the lyrics. At times, they tend to be too vague for their own good. Some vagueness is ok up to a point, but these guys abuse the priviledge. Evidently, there is no Neil Peart in this group. Still, when the music is as catchy as what Coheed & Cambria have created, it's easy to overlook this weakness. Perhaps time and experience will improve their lyrical muse.

So, my score on a ten scale. Music: 8 Lyrics: 5 Your mileage may vary.

Dave M

ForeverAutumn
04-13-2004, 04:40 AM
Sounds right up my alley!

I'm not the one who asked for it, but thanks for the post. I'm definately going to put this on my wish list.

-Jar-
04-13-2004, 05:33 AM
The lyrics on this album are based on a novel the singer wrote, so, it's very much a concept album.. as far as getting exactly what the concept is, I don't know. I know that "Coheed" and "Cambria" are the two main characters of the novel. I have a copy of this album, and I'm impressed with the musicianship, definately. I'm just not so sure why I have a problem with the singer. And I like Rush, that's the weird thing. I'll have to give it a few more listens and see what happens.

-jar

Dusty Chalk
04-14-2004, 01:51 AM
Thanks for writing that up...definitely sounds like I at least need to hear it. Have you heard Mars Volta? Could you compare/contrast?

DPM
04-14-2004, 11:19 PM
Thanks for writing that up...definitely sounds like I at least need to hear it. Have you heard Mars Volta? Could you compare/contrast?

No text.

BarryL
04-15-2004, 04:40 AM
Good to get tips on new bands doing the rock/prog thing. Thanks for keeping us informed. I"ll have to give it a listen when FA picks it up. :)

ForeverAutumn
04-15-2004, 06:31 AM
Good to get tips on new bands doing the rock/prog thing. Thanks for keeping us informed. I"ll have to give it a listen when FA picks it up. :)

I ordered it yesterday. I should have it by Monday. I'm looking forward to it.

ForeverAutumn
04-21-2004, 09:36 AM
As predicted, this disk showed up on my doorstep on Monday. I'm on my second spin and am enjoying this very much. Thanks for the rec Dave. :)

Dave's description has pretty much hit straight on. I don't find the vocalist quite as shrill or nasal as Geddy, so there may still be hope for Geddy haters to like this.

This is an interesting disk in that the songs seem to be split between Prog and Pop. There are definately metal and prog elements here. But, there are a few tracks that are destinctly Pop IMO. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to hear one or two of these tracks on the radio. As Dave pointed out, the musicianship is excellent. The band is tight and the songs are well written. I haven't paid a lot of attention to the lyrics yet, but what I've heard, the lyrics are no worse than some other bands.

The bottom line is....this is a good disk that I think several folks here will enjoy. Thanks for the rec Dave. I'm liking this one a lot. :)