JBL HLS610 review back around 1998 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : JBL HLS610 review back around 1998

Joe_Carr
05-05-2011, 12:00 PM
I remember that there was a review saying that the JBL HLS610 was the best $300 speakers and I was wondering if today is still the same. I know there has been so many speakers made after 1998 but just wanted to know for $300 brand new is it still the best compaired to other new $300 speakers today. I know for used you can get better ones for $300 but for new I wondered for $300 pretty much these will sound the best. But I don't know if that reviewer was talking about for listening to music or just movies or both.

Joe_Carr
05-06-2011, 01:19 PM
Well I assume that today there are better speakers that are $300 pair. I wonder what speakers today are the best for $300 pair that is brand new not used. I know you can get great speakers for $300 used but was wondering if it was new what would sound the best overall.

bobsticks
05-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Well I assume that today there are better speakers that are $300 pair overall.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume. The JBLs have long considered not only one of the best speakers at that price point but one of the better speakers available at any cost. If you have the option to acquire a pair, even used, it might bring an end to your audio journey.

Harry Pearson of The Absolute Sound has said repeatedly that a phalanx of HL6s10s would be one of the few configurations he could imagine surpassing his own reference grade set up. That's mighty fine praise.

MikeyBC
05-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Actually the build quality for a 300 dollar speaker has probably dropped on the last 10-15 years due to companies trying cut back on expenses and farming out labor to china. In my opinion there were more better sounding $300 speakers back then (in the 90's) than today.