Tweeter problem on JBL HLS series [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tweeter problem on JBL HLS series

Joe_Carr
05-04-2011, 05:20 PM
I currently have a pair of JBL HLS610 speakers and I was wondering but is it true that the HLS series had trouble with the tweeters getting blown? I never had that problem for years but I heard alot of people say that. They said since the crossover point is 2700Hz so the tweeters play very low.

Joe_Carr
05-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Here is a pic of my speakers without the grilles and you see the big horn and according to JBL it says that because of that horn the tweeters can have a lower crossover point down to 2700Hz. But I wonder if that is really not good but maybe it will be perfectly fine. Basicly JBL was saying that since it has the horn the tweeters can play at lower volume so then the crossover can be set lower than most tweeters.

Joe_Carr
05-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Someone said that the tweeters on the HLS series won't get blown if it's not abused. But all I know is that the HLS series uses a Polycarbonated dome tweeter attached to the horn so that's the crossover can be lower than normal.

harley .guy07
05-05-2011, 08:45 PM
I have seen many speakers with low crossover points on their tweeters and its not necessarily because of the tweeters material or that it is in a horn because the Paradigm Monitor series speakers I used to have had a crossover point of 2000hz and they where titanium dome tweeters with no horn. usually it is in the design of the speaker and more directly the tweeter itself and how it measures on where the crossover point will be. It does put more demand on a tweeter to be crossed over at a lower point and in some cases you can have a higher chance of damaging a tweeter crossed over lower because it is getting fed more of the upper midrange frequencies that if overdriven or distorted can cause tweeter damage. I had to replace my tweeters once in My Monitor 7's because to me I thought the crossover point was to low for the tweeter in them. I have seen many of the newer soft dome tweeters that have a lower resonant frequency that are 1 1/8" models that are specified to be crossed over as low as 1500hz or so so it is not unheard of With that model of speaker I have not done any research on if this is a design problem or something that happens a lot with this speaker but I have seen speaker models in the past with these problems since the tweeter is required to do more work in the upper midrange frequencies. the fact is is that most speakers will not blow if they are not fed distorted or clipped power and played within their dynamic capabilities. I blew the tweeters in the Monitors because I had a friend over one time that cranked my system while I was gone for a few hours and did not know what distortion or the limits of the speakers and when I returned the tweeters where already gone.

E-Stat
05-06-2011, 08:15 PM
...because the Paradigm Monitor series speakers I used to have had a crossover point of 2000hz
That is where dome tweeters typically cross over which works better with larger woofers.

rw

harley .guy07
05-07-2011, 06:35 AM
you are correct sir. I have seen a few occasions that speaker companies like spector will cross over higher but usually they are monitor speakers but otherwise you are correct. I believe my Dynaudio's cross over at 2100 hz