Wilco - last night's show [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wilco - last night's show

dean_martin
05-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Unbelievable!! It took 2 songs in before I could believe I was sitting/standing there at a Wilco show. (I'm glad I couldn't see the stupid grin on my face.) Except for the short break prior to the encore, they played for 2 hours straight. It would take me a couple of days to come up with a merely adequate description so I won't bother. Here's the setlist from last night's show at the Saenger Theater (great venue, BTW) Mobile, AL:

1. Ashes of American Flags
2. Bull Black Nova
3. I Am Trying to Break Your Heart
4. Kamera
5. At Least That's What You Said
6. Handshake Drugs
7. One Wing
8. A Shot in the Arm
9. Country Disappeared
10. Impossible Germany
11. When You Wake Up Feeling Old
12. Airline To Heaven
13. Jesus, Etc.
14. Misunderstood
15. Spiders (Kidsmoke)
16. Encore:
16. The Late Greats
17. Hate It Here
18. I Got You (At The End Of The Century)
19. I'm the Man Who Loves You
20. Hoodoo Voodoo

Edit: found the setlist online. They also played "Walken" (from Sky Blue Sky) and "Red Eyed and Blue" (from Being There).

Davey
05-04-2011, 12:13 PM
That's a pretty nice looking setlist. How long do they run out Kidsmoke? I'd be a little disappointed without "Via Chicago" in the mix, but that's just a small pick. I think they've been working it in other recent shows, but nice to see them juggle it around some.

dean_martin
05-04-2011, 12:56 PM
That's a pretty nice looking setlist. How long do they run out Kidsmoke? I'd be a little disappointed without "Via Chicago" in the mix, but that's just a small pick. I think they've been working it in other recent shows, but nice to see them juggle it around some.
"Via Chicago" was probably the only song I was looking forward to that they didn't play but by the end of the show I didn't care. Airline to Heaven was a nice surprise.

Apparently, Tweedy's Aunt Gayle was in the audience. That's what he said at least. And, they did "When You Wake up Feeling Old" because 4 people requested it on their website or something.

Swish
05-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Once was before the big personnel changes, and the other after them of course. Can't say which I liked better though. Both were pretty stellar.

dean_martin
05-04-2011, 02:53 PM
Once was before the big personnel changes, and the other after them of course. Can't say which I liked better though. Both were pretty stellar.

I had this preconceived notion that they may be relying on Nels too much (based on my impressions of Sky Blue Sky) but that wasn't the case. He had that faded Jazzmaster smokin' most of the night but it meshed perfectly.

One thing I realized is that I need to pick up A Ghost is Born. That one slipped by me and I just haven't gotten around to getting it. (That's why I couldn't really give Davey a good answer to his question re: Kidsmoke. I had heard the track only a couple of times before the show and can't really compare the live version to the album version. It worked as a great closer before the encore.)

Mr MidFi
05-05-2011, 05:56 AM
I had this preconceived notion that they may be relying on Nels too much (based on my impressions of Sky Blue Sky) but that wasn't the case. He had that faded Jazzmaster smokin' most of the night but it meshed perfectly.

One thing I realized is that I need to pick up A Ghost is Born. That one slipped by me and I just haven't gotten around to getting it. (That's why I couldn't really give Davey a good answer to his question re: Kidsmoke. I had heard the track only a couple of times before the show and can't really compare the live version to the album version. It worked as a great closer before the encore.)

AGiB is certainly worth having (as all their titles are). But I actually believe the 'Ghost' tracks sound better and more dynamic on their excellent Kicking Television live album. In fact, I regard it as one of the top 10 live albums of all time, by anyone. (And the live version of "Via Chicago" is outstanding as well.)

And yes, that is an amazing set list btw. I've seen them twice and would love nothing better than to see them again. Soon.