The Decemberists - A note from Colin and Jenny [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Decemberists - A note from Colin and Jenny

ForeverAutumn
05-03-2011, 06:54 PM
This landed in my email box today. All the best to Jenny for a speedy and complete recovery.

About a month ago, we all at Decemberists HQ got hit with some pretty hard news. Jenny Conlee, our since-the-very-beginning accordion and keyboard player and all-around rad person was diagnosed with breast cancer. If you or anyone in your world has been handed a similar diagnosis, you know what a bolt-out-of-the-blue this news can be.

The good news is that Jenny caught it early. And while the prognosis is very, very good for a full recovery, tackling the disease will mean some intensive treatment for our Jenny as well as a lot of important recovery time.

So I’m writing this to say that, weighing our options, and with Jenny’s fervent blessings, we’ve decided to go forward with our scheduled tour dates this spring and summer.

What we know now: Jenny will very likely miss all nine of our concerts in May and June. We're all hoping that her recovery will be such that she'll be able to get back on board as soon as possible.

And now, a note from Jenny:

Hello to Everyone,

I am very sorry to say that I will be missing a few shows coming up as I go through treatment for breast cancer. It has been great to be on tour these past few weeks. The band and crew are like family to me and have been incredibly supportive and understanding. To be making music with everyone and seeing the fans has helped me to feel more positive and keep my mind off of my diagnosis. But, alas, as the tour winds down, it is time for me to get back to reality. I will try to get into surgery as soon as I can after we return from this leg of the tour so I can begin my recovery. There are still a few unknowns out there concerning my cancer, but I am thinking positive and hope to be back on the road soon. Thanks for all of your support! See you soon!

Lots of love,
Jenny

Thanks for everyone’s understanding during this crazy time.

Yours,
Colin Meloy
The Decemberists

Swish
05-04-2011, 03:59 AM
Breast cancer is the second most common non-skin cancer next to prostate cancer, and it's becoming so common that we have to find out what is causing it (and prostate cancer). A book I read called 'The Spectrum' by Dr. Dean Ornish suggests it's from diets heavy in saturated animal fats. I've certainly cut down on eating red meat to the point where it's a rare treat. I'm not sure Dean hit this on the head, but Asians have significantly fewer of these cancers than Americans (10% of what we have according to Dean), and the only difference appears to be their diet that is low in saturated animal fats.

My best wishes to Jenny in her fight!