Sony will only be a name [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sony will only be a name

Smokey
04-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Last year, sony outsourced its LCD to north america to Taiwanes company Foxconn where Foxconn would build sony TV according to sony's specifications and design.

But apparently, soon Sony will not even be doig the designing any more and whole operation will be turned over to Foxconn. Whereas previously Sony had a say in the design of Bravia LCD televisions, Foxconn will soon be completely responsible for the models’ aesthetics, design, as well as internal electronics. It will become OMD (original design manufacturer).

This means that Sony will only be a face plate on its TVs as this will not only effect entry-level and midrange HDTV models, but high end models also.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110425PD221.html

harley .guy07
04-30-2011, 11:53 PM
I think this type of thing is starting to be a trend in the electronics world, Its like Compaq and Hp computers even though Compaq is made by HP. I hope this will not affect the quality but I would not be as trusting in a brand that outsources their whole process than one that builds their own products.

pixelthis
05-02-2011, 11:15 AM
AMAZING how fast panels became a commodity item.
This is historic, SONY has been the first and last name in quality displays for decades.
NOW they are out.
THE RISING SUN no longer represents JAPAN, it is the setting sun.
What didn't get wiped by the earthquake will be irradiated.
End of an era, and sad to see.:1:

harley .guy07
05-03-2011, 08:55 PM
It makes a person wonder what Sony will put their business into since they have been mainly into the video world for so long. I know they have audio lines and music,movie, and game making brands but to abandon something that they have been known for for so long is interesting to say the least.

agentsteel
05-03-2011, 10:11 PM
I think its got to do with Sony focusing more on OLED along with Samsung and other companies

http://www.oled-info.com/kiwoom-securities-sony-and-samsung-wind-their-joint-lcd-company-focus-oleds

pixelthis
05-04-2011, 12:14 PM
I think its got to do with Sony focusing more on OLED along with Samsung and other companies

http://www.oled-info.com/kiwoom-securities-sony-and-samsung-wind-their-joint-lcd-company-focus-oleds

Must have been some breakthroughs they aren't telling anyone about.:1:

Smokey
05-05-2011, 02:05 PM
I know they have audio lines and music,movie, and game making brands but to abandon something that they have been known for for so long is interesting to say the least.

The bottom line is that Sony has been losing money in its TV division for a while, and as they say they are trying to cut loses. Same thing Toshiba and Philips has done lately.

pixelthis
05-06-2011, 11:01 AM
The bottom line is that Sony has been losing money in its TV division for a while, and as they say they are trying to cut loses. Same thing Toshiba and Philips has done lately.

Hard to sell quality when everybodies going for the cheap solution.
And the markets flooded, and a lot of these cheaper monitors are
a great value.
Phillips is barely a monitor company, and TOSHIBA is considered a lesser brand,
so it will be easier for them to sell their logo.
But Sony is such a highq brand it might work against them, as most looking for a
"value" monitor will dismiss them out of hand.
I MYSELF , even though I love the brand, had to compromise on screen size to get one,
so I often went with a cheaper brand, and didn't lose much, really.
It was different in CRT world, SONY built those like no other. Paired with a laserdisc
player , and those were the days.
But panels? MADE in a few places, and hard to market this or that "feature".
END OF AN ERA. The Sony had style and class. Only a 20" Sony XBR could get away with a 800 dollar price, and this was the eighties!!
Not to mention 1400 for a 32" with an XBR tube in the early ninties.
GONNA miss them.:1: