Motor or power supply [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Motor or power supply

JohnMichael
04-30-2011, 08:51 AM
Yes I am in the mood to spend money. I am trying to decide which might give me the bigger bang for the buck. My choices are the replacement motor for the Rega Planar 2 or the better power supply for the Graham Slee Fanfare phono preamp. I think the motor would show some improvement but since I am using a heavier machined subplatter and the ceramic bearing I am not sure how much. I also know that better power supplies can improve the sound of electronics. I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with the upgraded power supply for the Fanfare or has changed the motor on their Rega.

http://www.rega.co.uk/html/upgrade_kits.htm

http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/psu1-power-supply.htm

Thanks for any suggestions.

poppachubby
05-01-2011, 04:04 AM
Yes I am in the mood to spend money. I am trying to decide which might give me the bigger bang for the buck. My choices are the replacement motor for the Rega Planar 2 or the better power supply for the Graham Slee Fanfare phono preamp. I think the motor would show some improvement but since I am using a heavier machined subplatter and the ceramic bearing I am not sure how much. I also know that better power supplies can improve the sound of electronics. I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with the upgraded power supply for the Fanfare or has changed the motor on their Rega.

http://www.rega.co.uk/html/upgrade_kits.htm

http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/psu1-power-supply.htm

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hey John! Firstly some OT, my comp has been down so I mustv use my BBerry. I will be dropping in more often. Do you use any messaging services like MSN? I would love to chat.

Anyhow, assuming your motor is not creating any audible issues, the PS is the way to go. For my reference I use a modded EICO, but I also have an external Creek OBH18. For this I use battery power and it's even more black than the crunk DC it uses. I can tell you that low level detail will improve, and this will lend itself to the effectiveness of the dynamic range.

The Graham probably has a nice PS, but if you must spend money try it out. Your system is so nice, I think you should treat yourself to some 45rpm vinyl. Have you heard any yet? Remarkable stuff John, your dog will like the improved high freq.

JohnMichael
05-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Thanks Poppa for your advice. Better power supply it is. If I bought the motor I would have to solder.

JohnMichael
05-08-2011, 11:43 AM
The Graham Slee power supply is on the way. I will report if all the reports of better bass and extended highs along with greater midrange detail are achieved. Since I was ordering the power supply I noticed that the Ringmat Anniversary mat was on sale. Oh hell throw one of those in the box. My old Ringmat has had the cork rings reglued a few too many times which had been a complaint of some of the originals. I am not expecting much difference from the two Ringmats but I still think it is the best sounding mat for atop the Rega glass platter.

JohnMichael
05-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Well the Graham Slee PSU1 arrived today. I am so blown away by the drop in the noise floor that I cannot comment on specifics of sound. The Gram Amp 3 with the PSU1 is so much quieter than the standard 3 with Chinese walwart, Cambridge Audio 640P and the Rotel RQ 970BX. Every time I have a reduction in noise I am closer to the music.

The only other sonic attributes I care to comment on at this time is better focus and deeper soundstage. I have not listened to enough vinyl to make any other judgements.

I noticed much the same improvements in integrated amps going from the original Cambridge Audio 640A to the Onkyo A-9555 and then on to the Krell S-300i. Each step was a reduction in noise and closer to the music. I remember one of the first high end systems of Wilson Watt/Puppy and Spectral amps I heard and thought it was not very musical. During that time my system had noise and distortion that I thought of as more musical when in fact it was not.

JohnMichael
05-12-2011, 05:45 AM
Your system is so nice, I think you should treat yourself to some 45rpm vinyl. Have you heard any yet? Remarkable stuff John, your dog will like the improved high freq.

Poppa I do have some interesting 45rpm recordings. One is a Direct to Disc of Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons". I have a recording of Rhapsody in Blue and a Maria Muldaur recording with one disc 33.3rpm and the other disc a 45rpm. I use an older belt to stretch over the larger pulley so I do not stretch out my premium Rega white belt.

JohnMichael
05-13-2011, 11:47 AM
I now have the most three dimensional soundstage from vinyl with the power supply upgrade. Instruments at the rear of the soundstage are more stable and focused. The bass definition is improved. What I used to think of as stylus/groove noise was actually noise from the preamp's old power supply and I had heard that noise with the Cambridge and Rotel preamps. The improved power supply has made a great advance in sound of my vinyl playback. Thanks Poppachubby for some good advice.

E-Stat
05-13-2011, 01:57 PM
I now have the most three dimensional soundstage from vinyl with the power supply upgrade.
Power supplies affect everything. I recently replaced the wall-wart supply for my Squeezebox Touch with a linear supply and heard the same sorts of benefits. Regarding your table, does it have an IEC connector for the power cord? I use a shielded aftermarket power cord with my VPI Scout. With my older Ariston RD-11s, I replaced the fixed lamp cord with shielded cable and a good plug with similar results. Or plug the turntable through a decent power conditioner.

It's all about lowering the noise floor.

rw

JohnMichael
05-14-2011, 06:50 PM
Power supplies affect everything. I recently replaced the wall-wart supply for my Squeezebox Touch with a linear supply and heard the same sorts of benefits. Regarding your table, does it have an IEC connector for the power cord? I use a shielded aftermarket power cord with my VPI Scout. With my older Ariston RD-11s, I replaced the fixed lamp cord with shielded cable and a good plug with similar results. Or plug the turntable through a decent power conditioner.

It's all about lowering the noise floor.

rw

The power cord for the Rega is imbedded into the plinth. If I do decided to purchase the new motor I would have a good opportunity to replace the power cord. I could always cut the power cord and attach a better power cord. Maple Shade makes one that I have thought for my Marantz CD 5001 power cord that my dog chewed in half. Of course what I want to buy now is more vinyl.

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Double-Helix-AC-Power-Cord-Kits/products/92/

JohnMichael
05-26-2011, 08:34 AM
My new avatar is the pc board and components of the Fanfare 3. Since it is for low output only and an outboard power supply the circuit is simple. There are no adjustments for gain or loading. It
has plenty of gain for the low output of the Audio Technica F7. The Rotel and Cambridge Audio do not have enough gain so dynamics suffer.

I read a review of a new Parasound phono pre with the circuit designed by John Curl where he used small circuit boards and short copper traces that would not act like an antenna. He designed for only two loading options 100 ohms for low mc and 47k ohms for mm. The Fanfare 3's loading is 470 ohms for low output mc. I have no idea how well the Fanfare would compare to the $2350 Parasound. I am sure the Halo JC 3 with better components would sound better. I was just interested that the two shared some design ideas.

I am still very pleased and surprised over the improvement the PSU1 brought to the Fanfare 3. Wish I was home spinning vinyl right now.

JohnMichael
05-26-2011, 09:09 AM
Another improvement I wanted to mention is a very open and extended high frequencies. Last night I listened to Manhattan Transfer's "Vocalese" and the women in the group have never sounded better. All of a sudden I realized there were no exaggerated sibilants. Of course this was the first time I played the record since changing to the AT F7 so I am not sure what made the greatest part in the improvement. I am very happy with the sound. Now is the time to buy new vinyl.

JohnMichael
01-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Speaking of improved power supplies Pangea is now making an improved power supply that is compatible with the Cambridge Audio 640P phono stage. At only $99.99 I think I need one. I am not currently using it but if I ever go back to high output MM cartridges it might be good to have it.

I do not know if the improved power supply will increase the sensitivity but before it did not work well with my low output cartridges. It was a good match for the Ortofon OM20. I wonder if the improvement will be as obvious as the improved power supply for the Graham Slee Fanfare?

02audionoob
01-28-2012, 08:38 AM
There's a guy on another forum who mods the 640P and it seems to get high praise from those who have one.

JohnMichael
01-28-2012, 08:58 AM
There's a guy on another forum who mods the 640P and it seems to get high praise from those who have one.

I would be intereted in what he does. I doubt if I would ever have mine modded. The Fanfare is great with the LO Grado and since I love my Sonata I will be enjoying it for years. I do plan on ordering the Pangea power supply for it. After the Fanfare power supply upgrade I am a believer.