outside home theater [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : outside home theater

blando233
04-29-2011, 07:51 PM
Hey guys new here so my rents have this huge patio and they got a projector for movies and i am trying to think what speakers to use outside. The projector by the looks of it needs RCA connectors. Any ideas on what i can use like is there a surround system for outside that uses RCA?

SlumpBuster
04-30-2011, 04:14 AM
Check out these guys. They are more insane than us: http://backyardtheater.com/forums/

Sir Terrence the Terrible
04-30-2011, 09:23 AM
Hey guys new here so my rents have this huge patio and they got a projector for movies and i am trying to think what speakers to use outside. The projector by the looks of it needs RCA connectors. Any ideas on what i can use like is there a surround system for outside that uses RCA?

Before I upgraded to a HDMI based projector for my outdoor theater, I used a receiver that can decode DPL via its RCA analog inputs from the projector. It can be used to create the surround sound, and amplify it to send to the outdoor speakers of choice.

Mr Peabody
04-30-2011, 11:06 AM
It would be worth checking the manual to be sure no digital audio output is provided. If only stereo then as Sir T mention Dolby Pro Logic 2 is your next best thing. As such you should be able to pick up a used home theater receiver cheap with DPL2 as most want to upgrade to HDMI. I'd look for Onkyo, Marantz or Denon. Check your local www.craigslist.com if you have a branch close, classifieds here or some audio store websites that feature used gear like www.spearitsound.com

Speakers are a real personal thing, as brands sound so different and peoples taste runs different from one another. I would suggest listening to Klipsch as their speakers are used in many theaters. However, horns aren't for every one and they are a bit directional which could be a benefit in some applications. Klipsch is also extremely easy to drive, no need for big power. If the speakers need to be portable some of the pro sound brands that are on pole stands may be of interest. If you are going to mount them to be semi permanant I'm not sure who makes quality outside speakers. I know JBL makes some.