PSB Image 2Bs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : PSB Image 2Bs

RomCrazy
04-12-2004, 05:33 PM
Hi all,
I have a set of the above mentioned speakers and I have a small problem, I DJ every Friday night in a medium sized room, and after doing it with some horrible sounding PA speakers, I decided to bring in my sub-satalite combo and show them how music should sound. The problem is, it requires playing them at a reasonably high volume for 4-6 hours. Not wanting to damage my babies (Forgive me if I'm a little attached to my audio equipment) I would like to know what effect this has on them. I use the PA speakers to use a mic by the way, I know better than to put that noise through them...

Thanks for any help.

-Steve

bmw-k
04-13-2004, 10:58 AM
Rom,

Driving your speakers at high volumes for extended lengths of time isn't damaging to your speakers (your ears maybe, but that is another story!) if precautions are taken.

#1. Make sure you aren't driving your speakers at distortion levels! Keep the volume high, but make sure you are well below distortion levels.
#2. Avoid sudden energy spikes to the speakers. IE: unplugging or plugging in the speakers while driving high power through the lines. It may make sense to simply "roll on" each new song as they come up.

The key is that you have said reasonably high levels. By comparison, I spent 4 hours last night watching "Das Boot" (Director's cut) at quite high levels of sound - the speakers are just fine (PSB Silver Stratus i's). I drove them within their power range, and well below clipping or distortion levels.

manek
04-15-2004, 12:22 AM
BMW is right...
also make sure you amp does not clip while playing as that could damage your speakers as well.

manek.

dax66
12-17-2012, 07:54 PM
You can't pull the speaker membrane?