Need Headphone advice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need Headphone advice

blackraven
04-27-2011, 04:18 PM
I am going to be doing some traveling and I want to buy a pair of decent sounding comfortable headphones under $100 to use with my computer for listening to music. I'm kind of picky about pressure on my ears and I don't like ear buds. I will not be using a headphone amp.

I'm considering the Grado SR60i, SR80i, Audio-Technica AD700's, and Sennheiser HD 228's. I would greatly appreciate any input and other recommendations.

Thanks

Larry

Mr Peabody
04-27-2011, 07:46 PM
I am a Sennheiser guy all the way, although I haven't heard that particular model. However, knowing your equipment and what I believe your taste is, I'd recommend the Grado for you.

markw
04-28-2011, 12:17 AM
Although it doesn't command the respect of the other names you mentioned, I'd recommend Koss PortaPros for a portble travel headphone.. They are lighter, more comfortable, sound quite good, stay on your head and, as a bonus, are a bit cheaper.

This is not a dig against either Sennheiser or Grado, simply suggesting a great unit for your intended use. I have Grado 80s and Sennheiser 580s for home use but for portable use, I use the Koss unit.

Hyfi
04-28-2011, 02:58 AM
I have the Grado 125s and would settle for the 80s if I had your budget at the time. The ones Mark suggested look to be a decent choice for travel since they fold up a bit.

drseid
04-28-2011, 07:23 AM
I am going to be doing some traveling and I want to buy a pair of decent sounding comfortable headphones under $100 to use with my computer for listening to music. I'm kind of picky about pressure on my ears and I don't like ear buds. I will not be using a headphone amp.

I'm considering the Grado SR60i, SR80i, Audio-Technica AD700's, and Sennheiser HD 228's. I would greatly appreciate any input and other recommendations.

Thanks

Larry
I own both the Grado 125s and the 60s, and for your purposes the 60s are most likely your best bet. They work well without a special headphone amp and they are more comfortable than their other headphones (IMO). Just for reference, I have heard the Sennheisers, but have not heard the Audio-Technicas.

---Dave

blackraven
04-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will give the Koss and Grado sr60i a look.

blackraven
04-28-2011, 03:53 PM
I'm also going to add the Sennheiser PX100ii to the list. After doing some more research, it appears that the Koss porta pro and the PX100ii's have good sound and great comfort for a portable HP.

blackraven
04-28-2011, 04:19 PM
I'm also going to add the Sennheiser PX100ii to the list. After doing some more research, it appears that the Koss porta pro and the PX100ii's have good sound and great comfort for a portable HP.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/sennheiser-px100-ii

http://www.digitalversus.com/koss-porta-pro-p374_2624_164.html

Mr Peabody
04-28-2011, 05:57 PM
I have the PX that I use with my mp3 player. They are comfortable but snug, not sure how you will like that. The snug fit helps keep outside sound interference down. The PX seem more warm than typical Senn's, maybe because designed for portable use.

blackraven
04-28-2011, 06:31 PM
Mr. P, do the px's put a lot of pressure on the ear's? If they do, then the strange looking Koss with the Temple bumpers may be the way to go because the bumpers take pressure off the ears.

Mr Peabody
04-28-2011, 07:04 PM
They don't bother me and the padding, although not big, is comfortable.

Mr Peabody
04-28-2011, 07:11 PM
You probably already expect this but in case, Senn's, even the PX, require a good break in time. Mine began to sound right after about 24 hours.

blackraven
04-29-2011, 02:34 PM
Thanks Mr. P.. From the reviews I have read, they say the same thing about the break in time.
I just found out that my son has the Koss Porta Pro. He uses it for gaming . I'm going to give it a listen but I'll probably go with the PX from the reviews which say the PX has a more airy sound than the Koss.