Phoebe Snow RIP [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Phoebe Snow RIP

JohnMichael
04-26-2011, 05:48 PM
Phoebe Snow, who sang 1975 hit 'Poetry Man,' dies
April 26, 2011, 8:59 AM EST
NEW YORK (AP) -- Phoebe Snow, a bluesy singer, guitarist and songwriter who had a defining hit of the 1970s with "Poetry Man," but then largely dropped out of the spotlight to care for her disabled daughter, has died.

Bing: More on Phoebe Snow

Snow, who was nominated for best new artist at the 1975 Grammys, died Tuesday morning in Edison, N.J., from complications of a brain hemorrhage she suffered in January 2010, said Rick Miramontez, her longtime friend and public-relations representative.

Snow's manager, Sue Cameron, said the singer endured bouts of blood clots, pneumonia and congestive heart failure since her stroke.

"The loss of this unique and untouchable voice is incalculable," Cameron said. "Phoebe was one of the brightest, funniest and most talented singer-songwriters of all time and, more importantly, a magnificent mother to her late brain-damaged daughter, Valerie, for 31 years. Phoebe felt that was her greatest accomplishment."

Known as a folk guitarist who made forays into jazz and blues, Snow put her stamp on soul classics such as "Shakey Ground," "Love Makes a Woman" and "Mercy, Mercy Mercy" on over a half dozen albums.

Tonight I will be playing all of Phoebe's recordings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OxTVxGhHFM&feature=player_embedded#at=29

MasterCylinder
04-27-2011, 05:17 AM
Very sad............I remember seeing her on TV in the 70s.

Bill K Davis
04-27-2011, 05:32 AM
Sometimes it only takes one song to know a person.

Worf101
04-27-2011, 05:46 AM
I tell you much as I loved her unique voice I find that her decision to drop all of that to care for her disabled daughter is the thing I most respect her for. She could sang! Lord knows that girl could sing.

Worf

Swish
04-27-2011, 08:53 AM
We were fans of hers for years but I haven't listened to her much of late. I'll have to get our Phoebe cds (I think I have 2) out and listen to them.

I know she hasn't done much in many years, but the story about how she cared for her daughter says more about her than anything. It's been about 4 years since her daughter died, and Phoebe had a stroke last year and was in rough shape since. RIP indeed.

recoveryone
04-27-2011, 10:46 AM
Very distinctive voice, once you hear it you never forget. She also did the Sitcom intro music for "Different World" Cosby show spin off during the 90's.