Anyone heard the new Steve Earle (produced by T-Bone Burnett)? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard the new Steve Earle (produced by T-Bone Burnett)?

Rae
04-26-2011, 09:32 AM
I'm intrigued. Is this really his first record since Washington Square Serenade? I bought that one, although I admit I haven't reached for it often in the last four years (unlike the one that preceded it, his still-excellent The Revolution Starts... NOW!!). Very good review over at The AV Club (http://www.avclub.com/articles/steve-earle-ill-never-get-out-of-this-world-alive,55089/) that focuses a lot on the production and the overall mood but doesn't really mention the songs...

~Rae

Swish
05-02-2011, 05:14 AM
I guess that's a no.

Rae
05-02-2011, 07:33 AM
No kidding!

~Rae

Rae
05-02-2011, 07:53 AM
I just pre-ordered it (vinyl drops on 6/7), so I guess I'll be the one to report.

~Rae

Davey
05-02-2011, 08:48 AM
I like Steve Earle a lot, but never followed him very far into the 2000s. Late 80s, and then the comeback in the mid 90s, some great records that I'm still very fond of, especially Train a Comin' and I Feel Alright. But honestly haven't spent much time listening in quite awhile now. Thanks for the reminder. I haven't been digging as deep in that country-blues-americana ditch that I often favor lately. But the cycle always comes back around, and that new Bill Callahan has been coming around a lot. Cool stuff, more of a Calexico feel on this one, almost like some old Wall of Voodoo. On second thought, maybe has an overall feel more like Andrew Bird, it does sometimes get pretty stark and dark, but I guess the "Apocalypse" title does provide a bit of warning :)

Sounds pretty nice too for a new CD. Too loud when it gets loud, but not bad overall, which is also kind of like Bird.

My baby's gone, oh where has my baby gone?
And she was not a weed, she was a flower
And now I know you must reap what you sow, or sing

tentoze
05-06-2011, 05:50 AM
I have the new Earle, but have only gotten around to one (admittedly distracted) listen so far, not due to disliking it either, btw. It struck me as sounding more "finished" than Washington Square Serenade, for lack of a better term. More impressions than that need more time with it.

As a semi-non-related rec, anyone into alt.country/roots.americana/whatever music should check out Daniel Romano/ Sleep Beneath The Willow. Best thing I've heard in a while. There are a couple songs from it on his myspace page.

http://www.myspace.com/danielromanomusic/music/playlists/daniel-romano-s-playlist-1013622