Insight on my stereo graveyard and what is in yours? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Insight on my stereo graveyard and what is in yours?

lomarica
04-24-2011, 09:45 AM
I just canceled my DISH so when moving my DISH receiver to my stereo graveyard I realized wow I need more room. Here is my list of my perfectly fine equipment sitting in my closet and the year I purchased. I now only use bluray as my source component since it also gives me Netflix and Pandora.

Bozak bookshelf speakers with sub 1985
Luxman cassette 1985
BO turntable 1985 (actually not in my closet set up on the bdrm because it looks so cool but not using)
Parasound cd 1994
Parasound preamp 1994
DISH receiver
DISH receiver 1995
NAD tuner 1985
Pioneer elite dvd 2007
Pioneer dvd 2002 (just gave it away last month)
5-disk dvd 2005

So over the last 25 years I notice 9 of the 11 items above are source components which have become obsolete. Only my old speakers and preamp are not source components. So what does this mean? Well I am not sure but to me putting your money in an amp, processor and speakers seems to make a lot of sense. Putting your money in a source component while good at the time does not seem to give you long term value because it will only be a few years before it is replaced. At least for me. So will I get the $500 OPPO bluray? most likely but how long will it be before it ends up in my graveyard?
Finally what do I do with the items in my graveyard?
Any comments?

02audionoob
04-24-2011, 09:49 AM
I think the best place for your obsolete source components is the classifieds of an audio forum like this one and some of its competitors. That way you don't invest any money trying to sell them and, if they go, they go to a happy home.

pixelthis
04-24-2011, 07:22 PM
YOU MIGHT want to hang onto either the ELITE DVD or PARASOUND cd
TO SPIN cd's with, few video players play music well. THE elite made a point of it.
AND YES, there is a point to what you have noticed. BLU is the last "format" on the
planet, and collectors are the main reason for that.
Soon you will be able stream BLU quality with lossless audio, any "collection"
you have will be in a virtual "locker" online, main difference being that you
won't have to pay for each watch.
All of that stuff you listed is going to be in a museum someday, if anybody cares to
look at it. EVERYTHING is coming in over the net, and quite often to a player that will fit in your pocket .
YOU ARE DOWN to one "source" besides some kind of net(which is all the cable and sats are) and soon you won't even need that:1:

pixelthis
04-24-2011, 07:25 PM
AND YEAH, some "vintage" buyer might take your gear, except vintage buyers
are usually fueled by nostalgia, and usually look for older stuff.
WOULDN'T hurt to try, but notice you already gave away one piece of gear.:1:

Jimmy C
04-25-2011, 05:11 AM
...a pair of Studio 60s (got roughly 80% of their original cost after 8 years!), as well as the Revel M20s (suffered minor damage in an accicent).

Still have a few things - dad's old Realistic receiver (early 70s), a pair of Boston A100s, two mint/boxed Realisitc LAB 440 turntables (early 80s, my first decent table, probably sell one when I get around to it), an early 90s Sony VCR (was a higher-end model, but probably only get about a C-note for it, I'll just keep it for that).

Oh, yeah... a pair of Insignias in the garage (uugh).

Hyfi
04-25-2011, 07:51 AM
I have two pcs I have not trashed that need some help, just not sure if it's worth it.

I have a Marantz 63SE CDP that just stopped spinning disks. It opens and closes but that is it.

I also have an Audio Alchemy DDE1.1 that was working in my working in my setup until I tore it down to replace cabinet with ATI Racks. Now I get no power so I don't know if the Power Supply died or the unit itself.

pixelthis
04-25-2011, 02:47 PM
I have two pcs I have not trashed that need some help, just not sure if it's worth it.

I have a Marantz 63SE CDP that just stopped spinning disks. It opens and closes but that is it.

I also have an Audio Alchemy DDE1.1 that was working in my working in my setup until I tore it down to replace cabinet with ATI Racks. Now I get no power so I don't know if the Power Supply died or the unit itself.

probably a ground fault.:1: