Downton Abbey.... Wow Thanks England!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Downton Abbey.... Wow Thanks England!!!

Worf101
04-23-2011, 06:52 PM
And I mean it. Just watched the first 5 episodes of "Downton Abbey" on DVD. Never saw "Upstairs Downstairs" but if it was anything like this I will. Wow, the class system in pre-WWI England was a mutha'. Great characters, great acting, wonderful sets and all the while you know WW1 is just around the corner to put the finishing touches on. Like "Gone with the Wind", you see the train coming but you just can't get out of the way.

The only gripe I have is the outright THEFT of the flower show scene from the 1941 epic "Mrs. Miniver". Damn do they think we all have the attention span of gnats and the memory of chimps round here?

Worf

drseid
04-26-2011, 08:26 AM
And I mean it. Just watched the first 5 episodes of "Downton Abbey" on DVD. Never saw "Upstairs Downstairs" but if it was anything like this I will. Wow, the class system in pre-WWI England was a mutha'. Great characters, great acting, wonderful sets and all the while you know WW1 is just around the corner to put the finishing touches on. Like "Gone with the Wind", you see the train coming but you just can't get out of the way.

The only gripe I have is the outright THEFT of the flower show scene from the 1941 epic "Mrs. Miniver". Damn do they think we all have the attention span of gnats and the memory of chimps round here?

Worf
This series is a favorite of mine as well. I ended up buying the blu-ray collection and enjoyed every minute of it. I hear they are making a new season... something to look forward to. :-)

BTW: Upstairs Downstairs has been remade/continued recently on PBS. The final episode of the 3 part new series just aired last Sunday. I have yet to watch it yet, but I enjoyed the first 2 so far... I never did get into the original series, but I was too young to appreciate it probably... I now am looking to have Netflix send me a few discs to give it another go.

---Dave